Books for New Believers in High School?

Aug 18, 2010
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know a few high school girls who recently decided to pursue a relationship with Christ. They are looking for supplementary reading (to the Bible), and I wasn't sure what books to recommend to them first. They are all rising seniors in high school, so they're very smart, intelligent, and inquisitive, but they also really want to pursue this and learn more about God. Any suggestions?

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The books listed on this site under the heading young people are written for that age group Online Publications - Books by Category
they can be read online for free or purchased as printed books.

Also, the books under the heading Christian practice that are the new believers series are good.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know a few high school girls who recently decided to pursue a relationship with Christ. They are looking for supplementary reading (to the Bible), and I wasn't sure what books to recommend to them first. They are all rising seniors in high school, so they're very smart, intelligent, and inquisitive, but they also really want to pursue this and learn more about God. Any suggestions?
I've recently been very impressed with a series of small devotional books by Sinclair Ferguson.

"The Sermon on the Mount" is really a great book. Well-balanced, a great introduction to this sermon from Jesus to new believers -- "Christianity 101".

"The Christian Life -- A Doctrinal Introduction" is good if you're ... more cerebral and want to see how this stuff fits together. Ferguson is a Presbyterian, so his exposition is definitely not "generalevangelical" -- but he draws heavily from Scripture without trying to force-feed the tougher ideas.

Most of the books I have are older books. Michael Green's "New Life, New Lifestyle" -- I stumbled across this book in the '90s, but it was still a good teacher. Some examples are dated. However, it's an easy book to understand and get clear on some thoughts.

I also like Brennan Manning's "The Importance of Being Foolish". I think it's more direct toward guys, but for girls who recognize there is a sinful side to themselves -- this is a good read. It's also somewhat better at "reinvigorating" Christians who've lost sight of the primary purposes and role of walking as Jesus walked. More "second-time" realism; not as much "initial" excitement as some of the books, above.

If you're looking for something historical, Thomas a Kempis' "Imitation of Christ" is a classic.

Upvote 0