book: walking on eggshells , should i be looking into my illness ?

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟472,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
i have an illness called Borderline personality Disorder , been looking more into the illness and started to read walking on eggshells a book my pastor recommended my husband to read my husband bought the book for his tablet but never really read much of it i started to read it and it upsets me a lot the start of the book makes us all sound like abusers of our other half or others who we live with i was so upset i had to go to bed last night early unsure if i should read the rest of the book or not ...am unsure if anyone else here have read the book i want to understand my illness more but the reality of the illness is getting to me i feel like we are evil
should i read the rest of the book and find out more about this illness or should i just leave it alone and stop looking into the illness ?

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi Lily,

I have an illness of my own - social anxiety. When I was ignorant about the disease my life was a living hell. Now that I better understand it, not only am I better able to cope with it, I can also see where it stems from and so better understand why I am the way I am.

We're all different, so you'll have to make your own decision. But, for me, knowledge is power.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That book seems to be geared toward those who live with or are ministering to someone with BPD. It could be that its perspective would be upsetting to you, because in effect it is talking to the other person (in this case your husband) about you, rather than talking directly to you. Though the intentions are undoubtedly good, it could give you the feeling of being talked about.

Understanding your situation is a good thing. I'm not sure that particular book is the best one for you, the actual sufferer, though. Maybe you could browse Amazon and find something more suitable, maybe even something with a Christian perspective.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Books like those should be read at the discretion of your therapist... psychologist or licensed counselor. People with mental unwellness are not inherently evil ((((safe hug)))... but God does not give mental illness.

Statistics can be used to "prove out" that most people with some of certain disorders do have trauma in their past; often it is repressed because it's too difficult to relive/review. This is why it's a counseling item, just in case.

I have not read this particular book.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i have an illness called Borderline personality Disorder
I looked this up. It seems it means a person does not have stable values, because the person is very unstable, and therefore can shift back and forth about what one values and believes.

Also, the person can easily get angry when there is no real reason. And so, it can be like walking on eggshells, with the person; because you never know what could set the person off.

But you are you, not some category person who can be represented the same as all others in some group. You are unique, created by God who is not a copier!! So, what really speaks for you?

Do you find that people have to walk on eggshells with you? I think this could be for two basic possible reasons.

I think there can be the victim person who is constantly the victim of anger which keeps violating the person to react negatively, but the person does not really want this.

Or, there could be predatory anger, like how, if I understand right, a narcissist can use angry reacting in order to keep people on eggshells in order to control people, on purpose.

In case you find that you have an anger problem, God cares about us. Even if we are wrong, God desires to help us to get strong in His love with His own self control shared with us.

Yes, God gets angry, but He rules and decides if and how He gets angry, plus He always is doing the loving thing to make things better.

Every one of us needs His correction and healing so we are more and more natural at reacting in His loving way, and not reacting only or mainly about if things are going the way we want.

If the book is secular, it might not show there is hope for you, the way the Bible says there is hope for you. And if you talk with Christian people about your problems . . . anger, for one example . . . it is possible ones will say, "we all do". And they can help you with how God has helped them.

And how is your husband, for being a good example of being gentle and humble, himself? If he has been a good example, and he is the one you chose to marry, do you trust him? I am considering that he is not only trying to label you with a medical category thing, and he is not only about deciding if you are evil or not, but he cares about how things are in relating with you, because he desires to stay with you and so he cares about how it will be, and how it will be for your children and anyone else you share with. And he cares about you.

So, being criticized does not have to mean you are being rejected; but people want you and so they care how things are going to be while sharing with you. And they care about you.

But, yes, there are people who do not know how to love you. And so you need to be able to love those people and have hope for them. God wants you to love, not only to be loved. However anyone is good with you is your example required for you to also become a caring and helping person. I have so benefitted from the ones who have been my example of how to be kind and gentle and humble.

Love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). You, too, need to become a loving person who has hope for any and all people, and you are not only reacting about how things go for you, because you care about others as yourself. Loving is so better, and we all have needed to be saved by Jesus so we can begin to learn how to love in obedience to how God in us rules us with His own peace so we are so intimately sharing with Him.

So, every one of us has needed all which you need. We have just had different ways of having problems. So, consider who God is, and not so much how you are, now. Do not judge by how you are now; but trust how God can bring you to share with Him and us in all His own good. And yes there are people who do not know how to love and help you . . . because we are human. We need God to do all He can do; so we pray for you . . . and for us.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
i have an illness called Borderline personality Disorder , been looking more into the illness and started to read walking on eggshells a book my pastor recommended my husband to read my husband bought the book for his tablet but never really read much of it i started to read it and it upsets me a lot the start of the book makes us all sound like abusers of our other half or others who we live with i was so upset i had to go to bed last night early unsure if i should read the rest of the book or not ...am unsure if anyone else here have read the book i want to understand my illness more but the reality of the illness is getting to me i feel like we are evil
should i read the rest of the book and find out more about this illness or should i just leave it alone and stop looking into the illness ?
If you can read furhter without being upset, maybe you will learn something.
I am personlly very suspicious of labels on people. However, you can check online and see if you honestly think that particular label is describing you.

There is no substitute for getting advice through the Holy Spirit. The Word says "If anyone" that includes you of course "lacks wisdom let him" or her of course "ask and it will be given..." It WILL be given How will it be given? "...geneously, without finding fault." Ain't that great since we are all so faulty as well as so needing wisdom?

However the rest of the passage does say not to waver. Ask. Once. From the HEART. Then turn your attention to other things. Maybe praise first as we are told "Come into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise."

Wait, and see what happens for at least a few days. If you don't feel led, it's not that He doesn't want to help you. Get more deeply into your heart and try again unitl YOU get what HE wants you to get "generously without finding fault."

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

After being diagnosed with BPD, why aren't you and your husband talking
to your health care professional about the disorder?
Are you getting BPD treatment?

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟472,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
i was dignoised over 10 years ago and at the time i ask for info about BPD i got some but i no longer have the info and i cant remember what was said i am getting medication and other things for it but its been that long i was in denial for a very long time about this illness its only now that am needing to look into it a bit deeper

Upvote 0