Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
who%20stole%20my%20church.JPG

Who Stole My Church?
Gordon MacDonald
(Thomas Nelson, 272pgs, $22h)

Church-going people, let’s say, fifty and above—those graying and balding Builders and Boomers—may often feel they are losing their grip on their church, feeling it is being stolen away from them by a younger set of postmodern thirty-somethings with crazy new ideas. The old familiar hymns are out, contemporary choruses are in; hymnals are being replaced with movie screens; sermons are now embellished with projected PowerPoint; choirs out, praise teams in; preachers are dressing down, daring to enter the pulpit without (gasp!) ties or vestments; Sunday school is giving way to small groups; Sunday evening services and Wednesday prayer meetings are disappearing; so is solid doctrinal sermons, being replaced by topical “lessons”; doctrine and tradition are now four-letter words; Bible study is being swapped for discussion groups; churches are no longer sanctuaries but gatherings; the holy is being replaced by the sporty; revival campaigns and missionary conferences are a thing of the past; and churches are now taking mid-service coffee breaks. It’s more entertainment than worship and this innovative overload for Baby Boomers isn’t welcomed. They are beginning to wonder who hijacked their church. Churches were once losing college students who couldn’t relate to worn out programs; now they are losing an older demographic fed up with innovation.

Like me, Gordon MacDonald is a Boomer, willing to confront rather than escape from this trend away from the traditional in his new book, “Who Stole My Church?” It is original in its approach because it addresses older people not as stubborn religionists unwilling to change to make their church more appealing to younger postmoderns but as fellow Christian travelers who need to see the local church as a reflection of the changing landscape of the larger society. The changes that may now trouble Boomers are inevitable just as was the changes they made to their parents’ church fifty years ago—changes which troubled their grandparents in much the same way change now troubles them. Like MacDonald, I have been in full-time ministry of one sort or another for four decades. The changes we have seen in American society that were once gradual but dramatic, have now increased at the rate of a new must-have gadget a month.

MacDonald presents his case in a novel form, and I do mean “novel”. It is a fictionalized encounter between a pastor standing between the forces of change and the entrenched resistance of elderly people. He calls together the older members of the church for a discussion group to explore the changes going on in society, in contemporary American Christianity at large, and how it affects their church. It may be hard to believe but the avant-garde innovations of today will be the entrenched traditions of tomorrow.

Will the face of American Christianity change? Of course. It always has. Will you like it when your church begins to “contextualize” to include younger, more culturally current people whose values of how church ought to be differs from your own? Well, that depends on whether or not you are prepared for the inevitable. If Gordon MacDonald does nothing else for you, he can help you over that giant hurdle.

One pastor I know of thinks so—he has ordered twenty copies for his church.

~~~~~

Gordon MacDonaldhas been a pastor and author for more than forty years. A former president of World Relief, he presently serves as editor-at-large for Leadership Journal and as chairman of World Relief. His most recent books include A Resilient Life, The Life God Blesses, Renewing Your Spiritual Passion, Rebuilding Your Broken World, the best-seller Ordering Your Private World, and When Men Think Private Thoughts. MacDonald can often be found hiking the mountains of New England or Switzerland with his wife, Gail, or their five grandchildren.

Last edited:

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey Jimbo, have you read the "New Age Bible Versions" by GA Riplinger. That would also give many reasons why our churches have been stolen, because "they have perverted the words of the living God" (Jer. 23:36). It's not about our Lord Jesus Christ it's all about a "one world religion". And that is why those grey-heading believers are leaving the churches in masses. The real church of the 21st Century is in the homes of out-of-church Christians or persecuted Christians. Today, most churches are a farce!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
who%20stole%20my%20church.JPG

Who Stole My Church?
Gordon MacDonald
(Thomas Nelson, 272pgs, $22h)

Church-going people, let’s say, fifty and above—those graying and balding Builders and Boomers—may often feel they are losing their grip on their church, feeling it is being stolen away from them by a younger set of postmodern thirty-somethings with crazy new ideas. The old familiar hymns are out, contemporary choruses are in; hymnals are being replaced with movie screens; sermons are now embellished with projected PowerPoint; choirs out, praise teams in; preachers are dressing down, daring to enter the pulpit without (gasp!) ties or vestments; Sunday school is giving way to small groups; Sunday evening services and Wednesday prayer meetings are disappearing; so is solid doctrinal sermons, being replaced by topical “lessons”; doctrine and tradition are now four-letter words; Bible study is being swapped for discussion groups; churches are no longer sanctuaries but gatherings; the holy is being replaced by the sporty; revival campaigns and missionary conferences are a thing of the past; and churches are now taking mid-service coffee breaks. It’s more entertainment than worship and this innovative overload for Baby Boomers isn’t welcomed. They are beginning to wonder who hijacked their church. Churches were once losing college students who couldn’t relate to worn out programs; now they are losing an older demographic fed up with innovation.

Like me, Gordon MacDonald is a Boomer, willing to confront rather than escape from this trend away from the traditional in his new book, “Who Stole My Church?” It is original in its approach because it addresses older people not as stubborn religionists unwilling to change to make their church more appealing to younger postmoderns but as fellow Christian travelers who need to see the local church as a reflection of the changing landscape of the larger society. The changes that may now trouble Boomers are inevitable just as was the changes they made to their parents’ church fifty years ago—changes which troubled their grandparents in much the same way change now troubles them. Like MacDonald, I have been in full-time ministry of one sort or another for four decades. The changes we have seen in American society that were once gradual but dramatic, have now increased at the rate of a new must-have gadget a month.

MacDonald presents his case in a novel form, and I do mean “novel”. It is a fictionalized encounter between a pastor standing between the forces of change and the entrenched resistance of elderly people. He calls together the older members of the church for a discussion group to explore the changes going on in society, in contemporary American Christianity at large, and how it affects their church. It may be hard to believe but the avant-garde innovations of today will be the entrenched traditions of tomorrow.

Will the face of American Christianity change? Of course. It always has. Will you like it when your church begins to “contextualize” to include younger, more culturally current people whose values of how church ought to be differs from your own? Well, that depends on whether or not you are prepared for the inevitable. If Gordon MacDonald does nothing else for you, he can help you over that giant hurdle.

One pastor I know of thinks so—he has ordered twenty copies for his church.

~~~~~

Gordon MacDonaldhas been a pastor and author for more than forty years. A former president of World Relief, he presently serves as editor-at-large for Leadership Journal and as chairman of World Relief. His most recent books include A Resilient Life, The Life God Blesses, Renewing Your Spiritual Passion, Rebuilding Your Broken World, the best-seller Ordering Your Private World, and When Men Think Private Thoughts. MacDonald can often be found hiking the mountains of New England or Switzerland with his wife, Gail, or their five grandchildren.

The only issue I have with some of the changes is that the commitments of the heart toward the Lord do not seem to be actual commitments. I really don't care what the pastor or anyone else wears, or whether there is a choir or a praise group, a hymnal or a movie screen, etc.. I do care that the teaching is sound and Biblical. There are too many "houses of God" where the supposed believers don't believe in much of anything other than what is of personal interest or benefit to them.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hmmmm. That raises a question. When I hear someone say things like “I do care that the teaching is sound and Biblical” does that mean that it is sound and biblical because you happen to agree with it? Who makes any person who says stuff like that the arbiter of what is sound and biblical? What if you agree with something that is neither sound nor biblical—you just think it is?

~Ann B. Dextrous
Contentment is not found in having what you want, but in wanting what you have

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm. That raises a question. When I hear someone say things like “I do care that the teaching is sound and Biblical” does that mean that it is sound and biblical because you happen to agree with it? Who makes any person who says stuff like that the arbiter of what is sound and biblical? What if you agree with something that is neither sound nor biblical—you just think it is?

~Ann B. Dextrous

Interesting statement, and I see it all the time in seeking-sensitive feeling people of seeking-sensitive churches, who make all things sound friendly, good, and positive just to entertain or draw the crowds in.:)

Upvote 0

GrapeGirl

Freakin' ray of sunshyne
May 7, 2008
Nacogdoches, TX
✟17,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If things aren't changing, then you aren't growing. Someone said that and I believe it.I may be young and stupid, but not all doctrine today is bad and not all teaching is un-biblical. You can find nuggets of truth in anything if you are willing to look for it. If not, you will be seeing nothing but what you want to see (and the "tradition" for humans is to see the bad first). Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

~Ann B. Dextrous

I can only answer for myself here and I would say "no" it does not mean that it's sound and biblical because I agree with it. There are just some issues that are Biblical "no brainers". Such as: the Bible is clear that "adultery, lying, thieving, murder, etc." is wrong, however there are many in our churches who been saved for years yet are still caught up in these things. From the pulpit they don't hear how to overcome. They are just told "dont' worry, be happy, Jesus loves you just the way you are and until He leads you to stop you don't need to be concerned about it."

1. 1 Timothy 1:10
    For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
    1 Timothy 1:9-11 (in Context) 1 Timothy 1 (Whole Chapter)
  2. 2 Timothy 4:3
    For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    2 Timothy 4:2-4 (in Context) 2 Timothy 4 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Titus 1:9
    Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
    Titus 1:8-10 (in Context) Titus 1 (Whole Chapter)
  4. Titus 2:1
    But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
    Titus 2:1-3 (in Context) Titus 2 (Whole Chapter)

I've heard lots of teachings which I don't necessarily like but I know it's sound 'cause the Holy Spirit begins to poke me on it.
icon_poke2.gif

The gathering of believers is not to be JUST a social gathering. It's to be a place of learning and growing and changing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've always believed that sound doctrine and philosophy is in accordance with His Inspired Word and our Lord Jesus Christ.

But today, the new emerging churches prefer a philosophy that is in accordance with the traditions of men, who combine worldly and new age philosophies of practicality that doesn't conform to the proper knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

These philosophies have been creeping into many churches over the past decade and a half, after the infiltration of new age gospel and thinking, and that is why there are so many "stolen churches"!

I've always found "gold nuggest" in His Inspired Word not in philosophies of "empty deceit" that sound nice and spice, good and positive, but totally false.

When His Sheep, that is believers, are not being "transformed and renewed" by being FED His Inspired Word and being TENDED in love, then they will not know the REAL TRUTH, the difference between good and bad, and the "truth that will set them free" (John 8:32). The truth that they may believe is their truth, because it sound nice and settles on their "itchy ears", which is nothing more than "empty deceit".

I always wondered where the statement: "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" appears in the Scriptures? Another new age belief!

For many years I kept a daily diary of revelations from "sound doctrine", particularly on Sundays. But, over the past few years, I haven't made any riviting entries in my diary on Sundays', because the "itchy ears will not endure sound doctrine" (2 Cor. 4:3), and the teachers gladly accomodate those seeking, sensitive "itchy ears".

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand the points you are making but are you saying then that all these other things are bad, like technology and praise groups?

I think there needs to be a balance, we need to move with the times but still keep our focus on Him.

Now when I read the title "Who stole my church" my first reaction was... it isn't your church, it's His church and He has the right to do with it as He pleases, and maybe if "your" church is far from God maybe it's because it isn't His church or the church He is building.

My first concern would be the presence of God, if He is present then all the other things will fall into place. After all He said... I will build my church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it.

I was not presenting “my” views. I am simply relating what the author, Gordon MacDonald says. His final analysis is that technology and the changes it brings is neither good nor bad … but it is inevitable. We are forced, in every generation from the days of the Apostles, to contextualize with the changing culture. We do not reconstruct “truth”, of course, but most of the cultural things we think is “truth” is simply culture and culture changes. We need to be smart enough to discern which is which.

~N. D. Structable

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always believed that sound doctrine and philosophy is in accordance with His Inspired Word and our Lord Jesus Christ.

But today, the new emerging churches prefer a philosophy that is in accordance with the traditions of men, who combine worldly and new age philosophies of practicality that doesn't conform to the proper knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

These philosophies have been creeping into many churches over the past decade and a half, after the infiltration of new age gospel and thinking, and that is why there are so many "stolen churches"!

I've always found "gold nuggest" in His Inspired Word not in philosophies of "empty deceit" that sound nice and spice, good and positive, but totally false.

When His Sheep, that is believers, are not being "transformed and renewed" by being FED His Inspired Word and being TENDED in love, then they will not know the REAL TRUTH, the difference between good and bad, and the "truth that will set them free" (John 8:32). The truth that they may believe is their truth, because it sound nice and settles on their "itchy ears", which is nothing more than "empty deceit".

I always wondered where the statement: "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" appears in the Scriptures? Another new age belief!

For many years I kept a daily diary of revelations from "sound doctrine", particularly on Sundays. But, over the past few years, I haven't made any riviting entries in my diary on Sundays', because the "itchy ears will not endure sound doctrine" (2 Cor. 4:3), and the teachers gladly accomodate those seeking, sensitive "itchy ears".

With all due respect, Elijah, but who elected you to sit in Moses’ Seat as Supreme Arbiter to determine what is “sound doctrine” and what is “itchy ears” for the rest of Christendom?

~N. D. Structable

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
With all due respect, Elijah, but who elected you to sit in Moses’ Seat as Supreme Arbiter to determine what is “sound doctrine” and what is “itchy ears” for the rest of Christendom?

~N. D. Structable

Jim, I understand your point here, however, isn't this type of question exactly why there is so much ignorance in the church today? The general attitude when someone gives teaching is "who elected you?"

Of course we need to keep changing. To still have church in the "same way" as my grandparents, in my opinion, shows sterility. Yet, there seems something also very sterile when the average church goer does not know what the Bible says about anything but their favorite topic. They are still living life for themselves and church is more a social club than a place of learning about God. Mind you, I don't mind the social club as long as people are learning God's Word and they are maturing in their walk with Him.

What about all the letters (we call them scripture) written by the disciples...do you think there was some attitude of "who elected you"?

Is there sound doctrine in your church Jim? I would assume you would say yes. However, what do you base that opinion on? Do your sermons leave everyone to figure it out for themselves...since, you know, you're not Moses either?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

~N. D. Structable

Thanks Jim, just sharing my two cents worth and MY CONCERN, and "who who elected Jimbeaux to sit in Moses’ Seat as Supreme Arbiter to determine what is “sound doctrine” and what is “itchy ears” for the rest of Christendom, and me?:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim, I understand your point here, however, isn't this type of question exactly why there is so much ignorance in the church today? The general attitude when someone gives teaching is "who elected you?"

Actually, SP, Elijah has not read the book yet he feels free to criticize its contents. :scratch: He only read the posted review of it, and the review did not endorse the book, just said what it was about. A “teacher” needs to have a better handle on what he is “teaching”, don't you think?

IMO, of course.

~Anita Knapp

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually, SP, Elijah has not read the book yet he feels free to criticize its contents. :scratch: He only read the posted review of it, and the review did not endorse the book, just said what it was about. A “teacher” needs to have a better handle on what he is “teaching”, don't you think?

IMO, of course.

~Anita Knapp

Jimbo, my dear brother, I was making comment on what was said in Item 6 and 7 in regards to sound teaching, doctrine or whatever you would like to call it. I wasn't actually making any comment on the book except that I made my point that many churches are stolen because of the lack of sound doctrine, and the lack of pastors not feeding His Lambs and Sheep, and tending His Sheep.

Yes, it would be nice to see and hear a teacher have a better handle on what he teaches, but lately many have been teaching from the new age gospel and not from His Inspired Word.

Yes, I haven't read the book, but I was only expressing my two cents worth why so many churches have been stolen.

Do you think that I am judging and being unjust from my view what I see in churches today, the 21st Century, of comfortable churches who don't really hear HIS TRUE and INSPIRED WORD.

"Elijah went before the people and said, 'How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." (! Kings 18:21)

I guess this is why the churches are being stolen!:)

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you think that I am judging and being unjust from my view what I see in churches today, the 21st Century, of comfortable churches who don't really hear HIS TRUE and INSPIRED WORD.

"Elijah went before the people and said, 'How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." (! Kings 18:21)

I guess this is why the churches are being stolen!

Thanx, E.

No, I do not think churches are any more deficient today than they ever have been. Unfortunately, the church is managed by men (and sometimes women). It has been since the church splits in the Book of Acts and that, for some reason, is the way God designed it. But for all of our modern faults, we are still not hanging witches like they did in seventeenth century Salem, Mass. , or burning Unitarians at the stake like the Calvinists did to Michael Servetus in 1553, or launching a bloody Crusade against Muslims like Pope Urban did in 1099.

I’ll take the 21st Century church over the 16th Century one any day.

~Anita Knapp

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.