Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SIMPLY C.S. LEWIS:
A BEGINNER’S GUIDE

Thomas C. Peters

(Crossword, 270pp, $15p)

Thomas C. Peters (Battling for the Modern Mind, The Christian Imagination) has provided a valuable resource in his book “Simply C.S. Lewis: A Beginner’s Guide to His Life and Works.” It is a guide for rookie C.S. Lewis-philes like myself, a handbook to the life and work of one of Christiainty’s foremost apologists. Lewis (1898-1963), though intimidating to those aware of his reputation as an intellectual but who have yet to sample his works to discover for themselves that he is anything but cerebral (it took me years to discover this). He was a highly respected scholar in many categories of learning, but delighted children while at the same time challenging scholars with his insight and simplicity. A person reads Lewis, pausing from time to time to think, “Oh yeah, of course. Why didn’t I think of that?”

Peters writes, “Lewis remains fully relevant and now even more urgent than when he lived. The spiritual and moral problems he addressed have not gone away; they have grown and multiplied. His wisdom has not been outgrown; it has simply been ignored.”

Thomas Peters has selectively chosen from Lewis’ writings what he feels is the most representative of his thoughts though omitting his personal correspondence, essays, and poetry, which fill other volumes. Peters’ intent is to provide an brief introduction to Lewis with the hope of whetting the appetite. So, in an effort to help readers discover (or perhaps re-discover) Lewis and to appreciate his uncanny ability to amuse even the smallest child while at the same time challenge the most learned mind (which is, frankly, an ability I wish more intellectuals had), Peters demonstrates in ten succinct chapters how Lewis is as relevant today as when he wrote during the first half of the twentieth century. “Simply C.S. Lewis” will help the reader discover the attraction of Lewis without diluting the power of his work. The book discloses how Lewis' many works—from “The Chronicles of Narnia” and “The Screwtape Letters” to “Mere Christianity” and “The Problem of Pain”—are as multipurposed as the man himself. So much so, in fact, that a person will likely shelve their anxiety in approaching him and be persuaded to experience for themselves the imaginative and spiritual perception his classics afford.

Lewis can be daunting to those familiar with his reputation as an intellectual but haven't yet sampled his writing. This sampling of Lewis should leave the reader hungry for more, especially when you discover for yourself why he is today the icon he is. What Peters has given me, personally, is a greater appreciation for C.S. Lewis’ fiction and fantasy. I have long been a fan of his apologetics but had unwisely slighted his fiction. But no longer.

Ref: Amazon.com: Simply C. S. Lewis: A Beginner's Guide to the Life and Works of C. S. Lewis (9780891079484): Thomas C. Peters: Books

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Looks like this might be a very good read.

The only book I have read by C.S. Lewis is "The Screwtape Letters".
What a brilliant work!

And a couple years ago, we went to see Max MacLean in his live performance of it.
Was awesome.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I remember reading (among others) his book, The Great Divorce, when I was in college. It's really an allegory which I never forgot. You write a good review for Simply C.S. Lewis, A Beginner's Guide. May read the book. Thanks.

Upvote 0