Book recommendations for non-Christians with an intellectual argument for the Chrisitan faith

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I was looking for a birthday present for a neighbour who knows that I'm a Christian but has not shown much interest. However I thought I'd buy him a book about it, from an intellectual rather than experiential, point of view and chose Frank Morison's 'Who Moved the Stone?'.

Whilst searching I read reviews and excerpts of several books. One of the problems I found was that many of them seemed to be written for Christians, either because the preface talked about us sharing our faith or because they had points to consider at the end of each chapter. I wanted a book, like most non-fiction volumes, which presented its material and lets the reader decide whether or not they agreed. The aim is to arouse initial interest rather than to disciple.

Does anyone have suggestions of books which simply present the facts of Christianity without being over persuasive in manner and are suitable to give someone who hasn't really considered the faith much previously? I'd appreciate any suggestions for future reference. :)

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have suggestions of books which simply present the facts of Christianity without being over persuasive in manner

The classic is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, although it's a bit old, and probably assumes some interest.

I was looking for a birthday present for a neighbour who knows that I'm a Christian but has not shown much interest.

I like Finding God in the Land of Narnia and Finding God in The Lord of the Rings and similar books, if (1) they're about a work of fiction written by a Christian, and (2) you're giving the book to someone who's a fan of that work of fiction.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try Theism, atheism and big bang cosmology by William lane Craig, or the Impossible faith by j p holding.
Or the fenceless theory of time again by so Craig.

It really depends just how intellectual he is.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Derek Prince changed my life completely, he is absolutely amazing explaining bible the way I haven´t seen anybody else do. Everyone should read his books to be honest, either you are nonbeliever or believer. He has like over 40 books available. RIP Derek:amen:

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
The classic is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, although it's a bit old, and probably assumes some interest.

I like Finding God in the Land of Narnia and Finding God in The Lord of the Rings and similar books, if (1) they're about a work of fiction written by a Christian, and (2) you're giving the book to someone who's a fan of that work of fiction.
For some reason I hadn't thought of C. S. Lewis, although I've read many of his books. Mere Christianity is a good idea, and I'll bear in mind the other recommendations for his and Tolkien fans.

The Case for Christ might fit the bill.
I think I came across the Case for Christ in my search. I'll have a look at it again.

Try Theism, atheism and big bang cosmology by William lane Craig, or the Impossible faith by j p holding.
Or the fenceless theory of time again by so Craig.

It really depends just how intellectual he is.
He is planning to read some of Stephen Hawking's work so he must be fairly intellectual, therefore maybe Craig or Holding would be good ideas.

Derek Prince changed my life completely, he is absolutely amazing explaining bible the way I haven´t seen anybody else do. Everyone should read his books to be honest, either you are nonbeliever or believer. He has like over 40 books available. RIP Derek:amen:
I've heard of Derek Prince, but I can't remember in what connection, but I'll look him up.

Many thanks everyone. :)

Upvote 0

only a sojourner

Apr 7, 2014
United States
✟127,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This may not be the best post to recommend these books. In addition to the books I am listing I have others as well somewhat along the same line if anyone is interest in a longer list.

First let me state that I am charismatic. The books I am listing provide empirical evidence of supernatural events- healings , xenoglossolia and other supernatural phenomena within a Christian context.

The first and best is Craig Keener's Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts by the Baker Publishing Group which is in 2 volumes. The book is footnoted and somewhat academic and includes thousands of cases of healings and other supernatural phenomena with verification. The book also provides a philosophical basis for miracles, challenging the arguments of David Hume. The book is quite pricy but well worth the cost for anyone with a seious interest

Also I would recommend Acts Today, by Ralph W.Harris by Gospel Publishing House which provides many documented cases of miraculous phenomena. I would also recoomend Miracles and Manifestations of the Holy Spirit by Jeff Doles by Walking Barefoot Ministries which includes excerpts from writings from antiquity to the late 19'th century. Also Only Believe by Don Stewart, Revival Press, which is very readable and discusses miraculous phenomena in the ministries of William Branham, Maria Woodworth Etter, Smith Wigglesworth and many other twentieth century ministries.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
This may not be the best post to recommend these books. In addition to the books I am listing I have others as well somewhat along the same line if anyone is interest in a longer list.

First let me state that I am charismatic. The books I am listing provide empirical evidence of supernatural events- healings , xenoglossolia and other supernatural phenomena within a Christian context.

The first and best is Craig Keener's Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts by the Baker Publishing Group which is in 2 volumes. The book is footnoted and somewhat academic and includes thousands of cases of healings and other supernatural phenomena with verification. The book also provides a philosophical basis for miracles, challenging the arguments of David Hume. The book is quite pricy but well worth the cost for anyone with a seious interest

Also I would recommend Acts Today, by Ralph W.Harris by Gospel Publishing House which provides many documented cases of miraculous phenomena. I would also recoomend Miracles and Manifestations of the Holy Spirit by Jeff Doles by Walking Barefoot Ministries which includes excerpts from writings from antiquity to the late 19'th century. Also Only Believe by Don Stewart, Revival Press, which is very readable and discusses miraculous phenomena in the ministries of William Branham, Maria Woodworth Etter, Smith Wigglesworth and many other twentieth century ministries.

Thank you very much. The books you recommend certainly sound like good possibilities for someone who was interested in the miraculous. I'll bear them in mind for the future. :)

Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright.
Sounds like a good title; I'll have a look at it online. :)

Thank you both for replying.

Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0