Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why is it SOOOOO hard to believe the possibility that this dude assaulted a woman? I simply cannot wrap my head around why people are having trouble accepting that sometimes men don't treat women well and need to be called on it. Why is there a knee jerk "we CANNOT believe these women"? I don't understand.

To an extent, I understand how opportunistic this may look. But frankly, if someone assaulted me and then was offerred a position on Canada's Supreme Court, you can BET that I would testify AGAINST his/her fitness for that position. Doesn't that make sense?

Calminian, if someone assault your mom and you didn't find out about it till many years later and then that person applied to run as a democratic congressman, wouldn't you want to speak on the record about their fitness for that position? I mean doesn't that just make sense?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is it SOOOOO hard to believe the possibility that this dude assaulted a woman? I simply cannot wrap my head around why people are having trouble accepting that sometimes men don't treat women well and need to be called on it. Why is there a knee jerk "we CANNOT believe these women"? I don't understand.

Like most other things in recent times, it's political.

To many fundamentalist republicans, Brett represents the only real chance they've had in the last 30 years of getting rid of the thing they feel is the most evil: abortion (they consider SSM a close 2nd).

...this is based on his track record of using what I'll call "creative interpretation" to restrict women's rights in other cases in lower courts.

...much like we saw in the Roy Moore case, people will rationalize any level of vile behavior once they've been conditioned to think that "democrat" or "liberal" is literally the worst thing a person could be. There were literally state level GOP officials in Alabama saying that they'd rather vote for a sex offender than a democrat. Let that sink in folks.

These are actual statements from GOP officials
David Hall said that the encounter was irrelevant because it happened "40 years ago".

Jerry Pow said that he'd support Roy Moore "even if the candidate had committed a sex crime" because he "wouldn't want to vote for a democrat."

That should tell people all they need to know about how far the GOP is willing to stoop in order to pursue their goals of foisting religious fundamentalism on the populous.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why would they admit to sexual assault if they did not do it?

Attention seeking? Depression?

Since they have not come forward publicly, there are no consequences for them, so there is no great barrier to these admissions.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It just doesn't make sense to me why someone would willingly say they did something like that if it were not true, especially when someone else stands publicly accused. I believe they are the ones that did it, and Kavanaugh is just serving as a scapegoat to keep the Supreme Court from getting another conservative judge.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nevertheless, still, it would be best to investigate the 2 men, and found out either way. Either way, finding out more about them is good, and beneficial. If they are paid fakers, that would be good to find out.
I'm sure it will be looked into .But innocent people sometimes admit to crimes. They never committed.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What crime? Do you really think the law is going to lock up every single teenage boy who tried to get into a girl's pants and failed?
So are you saying it's OK for boys to try to get into a girl's pants against her will? I'm pretty sure that act is a crime.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying it's OK for boys to try to get into a girl's pants against her will? I'm pretty sure that act is a crime.
"Feelings like someone is going to rape me" is not the same as rape. I didn't say it was right but the law can't lock every boy that tries to get a girl drunk to get into her pants.
It's the same if you stone everyone who commits adultery we couldn't have highways for all the rock piles.
If you go strictly by the letter of the law we would have more people in prison than on the outside.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Feelings like someone is going to rape me" is not the same as rape. I didn't say it was right but the law can't lock every boy that tries to get a girl drunk to get into her pants.
It's the same if you stone everyone who commits adultery we couldn't have highways for all the rock piles.
You completely missed addressing the part I said about against her will.

If Dr Ford's statement is true, whether it was at the hands of Judge Kavanaugh or she is mistaken the identity of the boy, what she described is a crime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You completely missed addressing the part I said about against her will.

If Dr Ford's statement is true, whether it was at the hands of Judge Kavanaugh or she is mistaken the identity of the boy, what she described is a crime.
No I didn't. I had someone punched me in the face as a teen against my will. Now as adults I might press charges.
There is even scientific evidence that our brain is not fully developed until mid-20's and that part helps us make better and more sound judgements.
I don't think we should judge teens as adults. Now if he did this in his mid-20's then he should be held more accountable.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No I didn't. I had someone punched me in the face as a teen against my will. Now as adults I might press charges.
There is even scientific evidence that our brain is not fully developed until mid-20's and that part helps us make better and more sound judgements.
I don't think we should judge teens as adults. Now if he did this in his mid-20's then he should be held more accountable.
Sorry I retread your post and see where you said you "didn't say it was right". I see where I glossed over and thought you were implying something else and I apologize.

I have just seen too much brushing off of specifically teen boys getting to handsy on up to attempted rape as just "boys will be boys" and "we shouldn't expect a higher standard for horny teen boys" lately.

I agree about teen brains not being fully developed but I also expect teens to know right from wrong unless they are sociopaths. What wrongs should be prosecuted as crimes is up to our judicial system. I would expect a teen to still be aware of crossing over from just a wrong into a crime.

I wouldn't disqualify the Judge for his teen antics but if there were any evidence to prove he lied to minimize public opinion of his teen and college years, then he should be disqualified. I honestly don't believe we will get resolution for the veracity of truth on either side after 36 years.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's amazing how standards for what makes a valid claim differs in the eyes of Kavanaugh supporters.

Apparently anything that comes out in favor of Brett is worth accepting without a shred of evidence, but anything against him needs to be run through their 'gauntlet of scrutiny' involving loaded questions and every-moving goalposts.

I think the argument for the credibility of these two guys is basically the same argument for the credibility of Ford. Namely, who would put themselves through this if it weren't true?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree about teen brains not being fully developed but I also expect teens to know right from wrong unless they are sociopaths. What wrongs should be prosecuted as crimes is up to our judicial system. I would expect a teen to still be aware of crossing over from just a wrong into a crime.
I'm sure you agree it's not just simply "knowing" right from wrong that required for someone to make wise decisions but knowing to avoid situations that can lead you to make a bad decision the start with. That's the difference between a teen from a mature adult. ( As the saying goes, a child's hand in a cookie jar is not the place to fight temptation)
This is why as a father I would not let my 15 year old son or daughter to go to parties. They lack wisdom not necessary knowledge.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Why is it SOOOOO hard to believe the possibility that this dude assaulted a woman? I simply cannot wrap my head around why people are having trouble accepting that sometimes men don't treat women well and need to be called on it. Why is there a knee jerk "we CANNOT believe these women"? I don't understand.....?

I will answer this question speaking for myself.

#1) I hate the fact that women that have been sexually assaulted don't come forward IMMEDIATELY, to me, this lessens your credibility. If a man raped me, I would come forward IMMEDIATELY because I want as much evidence (to include DNA) to be accrued so I can send this guy to jail and put him in a hurt locker.

#2) Human memory is atrocious. There is this mistaken belief that our memories get more accurate based on the level of importance of said event. That is not true. The only thing worse than human memory is human memory over time.

There are documented cases of women "swearing" that they were raped by a man and then DNA evidence proves it was not the guy. Does this mean the women were lying? No. They 100% were sincere in their belief, but their minds/brains got it wrong. They latched on to whomever the police "caught" and then they inserted the guy into their memories as being the perpetrator.

I don't care who or what we are talking about. I find anyone's 30 year memory about an event suspect, and this goes double for an event that happened during a "high school" party.

Last but not least, I believe firmly in the notion that you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. This means that I do not believe any citizen has the right to derail someone's entire life without just cause, reason, and PROOF.

Please note, I am very critical of Republicans. I'm on record here many times blasting the GOP and Trump and I don't care much for our judicial system. So given all of that, I still am in Kavanaugh's camp on this one. Though now I think he disqualified himself with his temperament. I don't want a whiny baby on the Supreme Court. But speaking strictly in terms of the accusations made against him. Those accusations should have never seen the light of day without some form of proof and collaboration or evidence or "something". You don't ruin someone's life on "he said she said" stuff based on 30 year memories of stuff that happened back in the 20th century when the person accused wasn't even an Adult for crying out loud.

Can Ford be telling the truth? Sure, but waiting 30 years to bring something up hurts your credibility. And given that we are supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty" this means we need to side with the accused and the burden is on the accuser to prove their case. If the accuser, through her own actions, is unable to meet this burden, then we must side with the accused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the argument for the credibility of these two guys is basically the same argument for the credibility of Ford. Namely, who would put themselves through this if it weren't true?

There are several reasons:

#1) Some form of vindictiveness
#2) Inaccurate or Mistaken Memory
#3) Seeking attention and/or publicity
#4) Feeling compelled to Right a perceived wrong (i.e. you feel he shouldn't be on the Supreme Court therefore you figure it is your duty to prevent that by any means necessary including lying)
#5) Other reasons (financial, blackmail, quid pro quo, etc)

The truth is, all kinds of people lie for all types of reasons. The whole "why would a person ever lie about this..." should never be a defense against lying. Why? Well, because

house lies.jpg

human beings are strange animals. I put nothing past them...

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it wasn't for Diane .I doubt this would have came out. And by her account. It was a fight for her life attempted rape. Not just someone trying to get into someone's pants, And stopping when the girl says no. If she's telling the truth. I'm sure there's more victims. But I don't think I would want to be around that in my work place.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Like most other things in recent times, it's political.

.....or the total lack of evidence for him actually assaulting this woman. You know, one or the other.

I personally believe abortion should be legal and the restrictions many states have placed on it should be outlawed. I don't think Kavanaugh should be a justice.

I also don't think that this accusations is a valid means for achieving that...and it does more harm to the entire political system (as well as harming women who have been victimized) than it's worth. Neither party should believe they can delay a confirmation by dragging up ancient allegations and teenage behavior that has little to no chance of having evidence. This exact same tactic will be used in other ways....towards other ends....and this situation will be the justification for it.

Upvote 0