Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't like it, don't fly.

What happens if you're required to fly for business?
What happens if you're going to a courthouse (where these are being deployed)?
What happens if you're on the road and one of those scanning vans drive past you?

"Don't like it, don't do it" does not work in the case of these body scanners.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
What happens if you're required to fly for business?
Get another job.
What happens if you're going to a courthouse (where these are being deployed)?
You should feel safer.
What happens if you're on the road and one of those scanning vans drive past you?
Stay home or move to Somalia where there is absolutely no government intrusion in personal affairs.

"Don't like it, don't do it" does not work in the case of these body scanners.
It does.

Upvote 0

AMarx

Dec 9, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Don't like it, don't fly.

So, when they set these up at the train station: Don't like it, don't ride the train.

On the subway: Don't like it, don't take the subway.

As random checkpoints on streets: Don't like it, don't drive.

As random checkpoints on sidewalks in cities: Don't like it, don't walk.

When does it end?

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. I am the one usually taking stands and saying we need to stand up against the government but i just don't see how this infringes on any rights. We do not have the "Right" to fly thus the airport has the right to secure their customers and planes and property any way they see fit. End of story.
You know, I can't really see any way to argue with this.

Besides, the outrage only stems from the cultural belief that nudity is wrong. Otherwise, there's no reason to object to those scanners that let security see through people's clothes.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So, when they set these up at the train station: Don't like it, don't ride the train.

When does it end?
When one finally realizes that their insecurity does not grant them permission to put others in danger.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Besides, the outrage only stems from the cultural belief that nudity is wrong.

No, it doesn't. Not even close. It's about privacy, not the view that nudity is "wrong".

MountainCappuccino said:
Stay home or move to Somalia where there is absolutely no government intrusion in personal affairs.

Move to a dictatorship where there is absolutely no right to privacy.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: ulu
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

When does it end?

When your thoughtcrime has been eliminated, and you love Big Brother.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

AMarx

Dec 9, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
When one finally realizes that their insecurity does not grant them permission to put others in danger.

So, the government should be able to do whatever the government deems necessary to ensure security?

You know, this is going to sound horrible but...

In terrorist attacks on this country, less than 10 thousand people have died. That is less than the number of people that die of the flu or phenomena in a given year. Do we really have to go though this much of a song and dance over something that has the killed less people than the flu? Might be a bit of an overreaction maybe?

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Get another job.

You should feel safer.

It does.

At least you're consistent. Let's take the hyperbole to the next level. What happens if they start deploying them inside houses (say, townhouses since they're close together). After all, we wouldn't want a bomber blowing up a neighorhood! What is your response to that? "Don't like it, get another house?"

The whole "don't like it, don't do it" idea hinges on the notion that all these places or modes of transportation are optional and voluntary. That falters when it's in a required place like a courthouse.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So, the government should be able to do whatever the government deems necessary to ensure security?
No, there must be accountability. Pat-downs are not justification for repression, genocide and extermination, where I know this was going.

You know, this is going to sound horrible but...

In terrorist attacks on this country, less than 10 thousand people have died. That is less than the number of people that die of the flu or phenomena in a given year. Do we really have to go though this much of a song and dance over something that has the killed less people than the flu? Might be a bit of an overreaction maybe?
I'm sure more people each year are killed in automobile accidents than are murdered. It would be absurd if I used that as an argument against having a police force and judicial system that prosecutes such crimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
At least you're consistent. Let's take the hyperbole to the next level. What happens if they start deploying them inside houses (say, townhouses since they're close together). After all, we wouldn't want a bomber blowing up a neighorhood! What is your response to that?
Leave North Korea. I don't know why you'd live there anyway.

The whole "don't like it, don't do it" idea hinges on the notion that all these places or modes of transportation are optional and voluntary. That falters when it's in a required place like a courthouse.
I'm not unsympathetic to people who are wary of being patted down or going through body scanners, but have responsibilities to dates and times and "must" use aircraft. However, if making 100,000 people uncomfortable at an airport is the cost of saving even one life, I'm willing to support it. As I explained in the other post, there is a point to which intrusion reaches levels of absurdity, but airport security is far from the line in which one crosses from healthy caution to paranoia.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Move to a dictatorship where there is absolutely no right to privacy.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Yes, the slippery slope, totalitarian 1984-esque 3rd Reich, no freedom and concentration camp dichotomy; there is no in between. Once you have airport security, that's it man; tomorrow we might see a swastika or an army of communist insurgents setting up a one party system.

That doesn't sound like ridiculous hyperbole at all.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm sure more people each year are killed in automobile accidents than are murdered. It would be absurd if I used that as an argument against having a police force and judicial system that prosecutes such crimes.

No, but it is a pretty good argument for speed limit enforcement, while many notorious speeders are often complaining that the police should go "catch some real criminals".

The amount of effort invested in a particular type of security should be proportional to the expected increase in security (relatively straight-forward; just divide the budget by the expected reduction in deaths), and balanced against the loss of freedom of the citizens (harder, since you can't really put a number on "freedom").

Striking that balance in such a way that the majority of your population is happy with it (and without alienating the remainder of your population) is hard, if not impossible to get exactly right. But many of the "arguments" I've heard are basically "as long as whatever security measures you're proposing feels right, you can just completely ignore my fellow citizen's freedoms. I'll let you know once you cross my personal non-defined line (and then you'll ofcourse be nazi communist muslim babykillers)"

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
No, but it is a pretty good argument for speed limit enforcement, while many notorious speeders are often complaining that the police should go "catch some real criminals".

The amount of effort invested in a particular type of security should be proportional to the expected increase in security (relatively straight-forward; just divide the budget by the expected reduction in deaths), and balanced against the loss of freedom of the citizens (harder, since you can't really put a number on "freedom").
The reason terrorism is given so much of a "portion" of budget doesn't boil down to purely the loss of human life. Terrorist operations are acts of war against the United States; the only difference is that they do not wear uniforms, so such measures as bomb detection equipment and more security personnel are required.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMarx

Dec 9, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private

It would be absurd if the police force randomly searched persons to ensure they are not murders. That is a more apt comparison, not simply the existence of the police force.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
It would be absurd if the police force randomly searched persons to ensure they are not murders. That is a more apt comparison, not simply the existence of the police force.
They already do, for more reasons than that. Airport security just isn't designed against terrorism, but drug and human trafficking as well.

Upvote 0

AMarx

Dec 9, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
They already do, for more reasons than that. Airport security just isn't designed against terrorism, but drug and human trafficking as well.

The police are not allowed to randomly search people. It would violate the 4th amendment and anything they find would be inadmissible in court. There would need to be probable cause to conduct such a search.

Are you being contrary simply to be contrary?

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2008
Trondheim
✟9,941.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The police are not allowed to randomly search people. It would violate the 4th amendment and anything they find would be inadmissible in court. There would need to be probable cause to conduct such a search.
Why are you assuming they'd acknowledge the search as "random"?

Are you being contrary simply to be contrary?
Maybe. I like 10 people picking apart my posts. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AMarx

Dec 9, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Why are you assuming they'd acknowledge the search as "random"?

A good defense attorney would be able to prove that the search was not based on probable cause. I'm not saying abuses never happen, but the rights need to be protected. My opinion still is that you cannot justify a loss of rights for the sake of the illusion of safety.

Upvote 0