Bob Tilton

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering what you guys think of giving to Bob Tilton or Peter Popoff. Would you give to either of these men? What would advice would you give to one of your friends or relatives who was sending either of them money?

I don't know who Bob Tilton is, but I would never, EVER give a cent to Peter Popoff! If I had a friend or family member giving him money, I would obviously tell them not to, ask them what happened to their sanity, lecture them a bit more, pull out some scripture against them, then I would pray that they would wake up and stop that nonsense, in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
<I was wondering what you guys think of giving to Bob Tilton or Peter Popoff. Would you give to either of these men? What would advice would you give to one of your friends or relatives who was sending either of them money?

However you're lead. If you're "unleaded", don't do it. Also, don't let anyone (not just them) manipulate you into giving. Always give willingly and cheerfully.

In spite of everything that's gone down, they both have callings on their life that the Lord won't repent from. I remember listening to Bob years ago when I was a year old in the Lord. He was mightily anointed. If you gave, you knew you were sowing into kingdom ground. I've known people who were members of Word of Faith and they were reluctant to say much about it, other than God was at work and it was a great blessing. Many people left their crutches their and the anointing set the people free. Supposedly, Marte (his wife) explains everything in her book, if you want some understanding. Ask for wisdom before reading (or giving) because that is only one account of what happened.

In short, the enemy moved in, shipwrecked the ministry and scattered the flock. Assuming Bob repented, (I would think the whole happening would have gotten his attention) then after some period of time, the Lord would begin to use him again in public ministry as a pastor. It's a challenge for him to be obedient, because he doesn't have to go far to hear someone who the enemy would use to mock him, since it was a public affair. It's takes some real fortitude to get back out and minister. Most people are probably very watchful about whatever doctrine he would preach. That should keep him on his toes. If the Lord called him back out, and if he's preaching the good news, then all's well. If you're led to give, go for it! Same goes for Peter. It's all about the anointing. God won't lead you astray. We're not led by our carnal minds.

The flack the doctrine of Word of Faith in general took was that people just named it and claimed it regardless of what God wanted. (NOT OF GOD).

People confessed stuff outside of the Word and they were proved to be foolish. Nonbelievers happy about being right.

Christians chunked their medication hearing God in their spirits that divine healing is for them, but didn't appropriate it for themselves, or didn't use wisdom in the timing of their manifestation and some actually died. I went 9 rounds with a Baptist preacher who's Aunt died believing she would be healed. The Word says a lot about the things that make for health and they all involve obedience and giving God your best.

Being focused on prosperity, naming your blessings, etc. also is questionable. It gave one of the most powerful moves in church history a bad name. Prosperity is of God, and I still say that the balanced word of faith teaching is right on and practiced by everyone sucessful person in the Bible, whether they knew it or not!

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I think the key is to pray over any giving, whether your tithe or offering. If God tells you to give then you will know it. Seed is only profitable when it is sown in good soil, and good soil is where God leads you to sow.

True. You have to give when, where and to what God tells you to give to.

I haven't given a penny to either man. That's my business though. The problem comes when immature Christians give due to pressure not due to being fed.

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering what you guys think of giving to Bob Tilton or Peter Popoff. Would you give to either of these men? What would advice would you give to one of your friends or relatives who was sending either of them money?
My sister was going to send Peter Popoff money until I talked her out of it. I almost made the same mistake 12 years ago when I saw this clown on TV peddling miracle tap water. He sent me a letter typed in a font that made it look handwritten and personalized. The letter, of course, asked for money. If I wanted a "double portion" I had to send him double the amount he requested. I took the letter to my pastor and he told me to burn it.

Tilton is no better. According to an article I read about him, he doesn't even read prayer requests mailed to him. He takes whatever money is in the envelope and throws the rest away.

Both these men are lining their pockets at the expense of desperate people. I would advise even my worst enemy to stay away from these crooks.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Word of Faith teaches that we should tithe to our local church and then give offerings where God directs us to give.

If you are grounded in a local church, these things and ministries are then put in their rightful place. Most of the people who attend these large pseudo-Word of Faith meetings in England are not part of a local church and it is the only feeding they get all year so they are open to manipulation.

Noone who is regular at our church would fall for it because they realize prosperity and success is a process not an event.

Upvote 0

greatlyloved

Sep 16, 2010
✟8,268.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't give to either of these men. Bob Tilton in my opinion is a con man from way back. I had a bad feeling from the first time I ever heard him and I remember seeing a program on TV long ago talking about the questionable TV ministries. An old friend of Tilton's (who knew him when he was young) recalled Tilton laughing and saying the way to make big money was in the "ministry" and supposedly he did an imitation of an evangelist as a demonstration to this old friend of his.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I wouldn't give to either of these men. Bob Tilton in my opinion is a con man from way back. I had a bad feeling from the first time I ever heard him and I remember seeing a program on TV long ago talking about the questionable TV ministries. An old friend of Tilton's (who knew him when he was young) recalled Tilton laughing and saying the way to make big money was in the "ministry" and supposedly he did an imitation of an evangelist as a demonstration to this old friend of his.
Robert had a VERY anointed ministry and the Word of God prevailed and increased mightily. I saw Norvel Hayes there. There were crutches and wheelchairs all over the walls from miraculous healings. They had the best book store I've ever seen.

Someone I knew went to a service where Robert walked over to a man (who turned out to be the grand dragon of the KKK who was visiting), The Lord had a Word for him and the anointing was very strong.

For whatever it turned out to be, in it's day, the Word of Faith church had a great move of God. The taught people to be filled with the Spirit and to think successfully. I went back once a couple of years later and only Bob's books where in his bookstore. Apparently they were not processing prayer requests in a Godly way and the enemy got his head in did what he does, steal, kills, and destroys.

We should be extremely careful in our comments about "fallen" ministers. I almost feel like someone's teeing up a golf ball and asking anyone if there are any takers. The ball's in the shape of the "takers" head. If you step up and make the mistake of speaking in judgment against the man of God, which he's your brother, then you end up judging yourself in the process. Be careful!

Giving is not based on your carnal understanding. Either you're led or you're not. God still loves Bob just like He loves you. Pray for him.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Alive Again,

Paul wasn't too scared to warn brethren about men like Alexander, Hymenaus, and Philetus when they got into error.
That's true. But as I have gotten into it with some people online for making judgments of their own accord and making the body of Christ look bad...

The difference is, did the Holy Spirit give whoever makes the comment, the judgment you will make?
We know that He gave Paul the discernment because it became scripture.

You don't know if he repented, or what. In fact, some of the stuff on the Net about his current situation, might be from the world, with the devil behind it all.

Of course we'll judge or weigh everything by the Spirt, as He brings things to light. In the absence of that, we should refrain from making derogatory statements, because they are judgments that we'll be guilty of. I'm not pointing any fingers either, about you or anyone else, but I would caution everyone to be extremely cautious. The enemy would love to sneak in and cause someone to say something amiss, based on their ignorance and put themselves in peril.

If there is a particular doctrine or disruptive behavior, that would seem to be open for review.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

greatlyloved

Sep 16, 2010
✟8,268.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I think in regards to any ministers we have to be extremely careful who we listen to and who we believe. Yes, the bible says not to judge, but it also says in Matthew 7:15-16 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits." That tells me that we are judge who to give credence to based upon the fruits we see.

I don't know what happened in regards to Tilton years ago, but I do know that now he has a program on BET network and he spends the entire half hour telling people how if they make a financial vow to God and send the money to Tilton, God will do miraculous things for the person because of their "vow." That is all I have seen of Tilton in years. Make up your own mind on it, but the Holy Spirit sends out warning bells to me on ministries that do such things.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus quoted 'thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths.' In Old Testament times, people would make vows to God, but could fall into sin if they did not fulfill them.

Christ added to the command, 'Swear not at all.' James also warned 'swear not at all.'

Bob Tilton, at least used to, used to repeatedly tell people to make their vow to God, and send him money.

What's wrong with this picture?

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I was wondering what you guys think of giving to Bob Tilton or Peter Popoff.

They're both proven con-men.

I watched Tilton's "empire" in Farmer's Branch, TX implode, after they found the dumpster full of discarded prayer requests, stripped of their ca$h up in Oklahoma City. There USED to be a HUGE "Christ is the answer" sign on the Grain elevator in Carrollton, TX (until the lease ran out, and they painted it over), and there was apparently a HUGE move of God at his "Word of Faith" church - back in the '80s.

But after his dishonesty was uncovered, the church was dead in about a year, and they struggled to keep the TV studio alive, but couldn't make that either. I remember the day that they tossed the sets for his TV show out for the trash men to pick up.

The Church became the "Jones Family Theater" for a while, my band played there once - Bluegrass Gospel. But the entire site was razed a couple of years back and now there's the "Dr. Pepper Conference center", and no sign that there was ever a "church" there.

Popoff, of course, was caught red-handed faking "Words of Knowledge" in his meeting, which exposes His character/ministry better than any amount of "Heresy Hunting" could ever do.

"Would you give to either of these men?"

Of course not - I give to the Church that I attend and support - simple as that. I don't support TV ministries at all.

If somebody else wants to give to 'em, and asks me about that, I tell 'em what I know, and let 'em make their OWN decisions.

Upvote 0