Durham
✟8,256.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You may have guessed already from my Profile Picture that I enjoy the music of Bob Dylan. Along with a few other folk singers like Phil Ochs, Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. Anyone else like Bob Dylan or folk?

If you're a Dylan fan do you like his folk stuff or rock orientated material more?

Personally, my two favourite albums are "The Times They Are a-Changin'" and "John Wesley Harding".

My favourite Dylan song is "With God on our side", which isn't a Christian song, but neither is it a song mocking God. It is a song attacking the historical tendency for people and society to misuse the name of God to justify atrocities they commit on people different from them.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may have guessed already from my Profile Picture that I enjoy the music of Bob Dylan. Along with a few other folk singers like Phil Ochs, Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. Anyone else like Bob Dylan or folk?

If you're a Dylan fan do you like his folk stuff or rock orientated material more?

Personally, my two favourite albums are "The Times They Are a-Changin'" and "John Wesley Harding".

My favourite Dylan song is "With God on our side", which isn't a Christian song, but neither is it a song mocking God. It is a song attacking the historical tendency for people and society to misuse the name of God to justify atrocities they commit on people different from them.

Hi Jake,

While I wouldn't say that I'm a big John Dylan [Edit: no, no, no....it's Bob Dylan, not John Dylan] :doh:fan, I do like those songs which are typically cited as his 'greatest hits.' And one thing I have always appreciated about him is his ongoing social consciousness. Other than that, I guess I can also point to his time with the Traveling Wilburys as a brief but creative expression.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jake Ryder

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
✟8,256.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Jake,

While I wouldn't say that I'm a big John Dylan fan, I do like those songs which are typically cited as his 'greatest hits.' And one thing I have always appreciated about him is his ongoing social consciousness. Other than that, I guess I can also point to his time with the Traveling Wilburys as a brief but creative expression.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
The opposite is true for me, I only know a few Travelling Wilbury songs, whereas I'm very familiar with Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and of course Bob Dylan. I'm not familiar with the work of Tom Petty and George Harrison (Outside of the Beatles).

You're right though, Dylan is very socially conscious and it's why I like him. I love lyrics that are challenging, multi-faceted and thought-provoking, Dylan is very good in that respect.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The opposite is true for me, I only know a few Travelling Wilbury songs, whereas I'm very familiar with Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and of course Bob Dylan. I'm not familiar with the work of Tom Petty and George Harrison (Outside of the Beatles).

You're right though, Dylan is very socially conscious and it's why I like him. I love lyrics that are challenging, multi-faceted and thought-provoking, Dylan is very good in that respect.

Oh, I love George Harrison, Tom Petty, as well as Jeff Lynne (from E.L.O.). All three were iconic for me while growing up. Here's one of the TW songs I liked a lot (and there's John [edit: uh, no, it's Bob...:doh:..you know this! C'mon, get with it!] in the middle, singing):

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...and I forgot to mention Roy Orbison. He isn't in the video above because he passed during that time. I like Orbison's hits too, but he didn't stand out to me quite as much while I was growing up. But, all these guys and their individual musical chemistry seemed to fit together quite nicely.

Reactions: Jake Ryder
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, I understand Dylan has been quite the social messenger over the years, as can be heard in his music. Not so much so for the other guys I mention above.

Upvote 0

Jake Ryder

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
✟8,256.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...and I forgot to mention Roy Orbison. He isn't in the video above because he passed during that time. I like Orbison's hits too, but he didn't stand out to me quite as much while I was growing up. But, all these guys and their individual musical chemistry seemed to fit together quite nicely.
He was the only one I liked before I started getting into the others. When I first saw this music video a tear and a smile decorated my face because of the small tribute to Roy.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was the only one I liked before I started getting into the others. When I first saw this music video a tear and a smile decorated my face because of the small tribute to Roy.

Yes, that was a dandy touch with the guitar and chair in remembrance of Roy. And if you listen closely in one or two spots, you can hear his vocals in the midst of them singing. :cool:

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"someone's got it in for me
they're plantin stories in the press"
"the cabaret was quiet except for the drillin in the wall"
"I had a job in the great north west workin as a cook for a spell
but I didn't like it all that much and one day the axe just fell"

Just love Dylan and Blood on the Tracks.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sorry about the name mishap with Bob Dylan.......I had a brain freeze. Must be the beginnings of older age creeping in.............. :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jake Ryder

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
✟8,256.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry about the name mishap with Bob Dylan.......I had a brain freeze. Must be the beginnings of older age creeping in.............. :eek:
I noticed but I wasn't sure if I should bring it up XD

"someone's got it in for me
they're plantin stories in the press"
"the cabaret was quiet except for the drillin in the wall"
"I had a job in the great north west workin as a cook for a spell
but I didn't like it all that much and one day the axe just fell"

Just love Dylan and Blood on the Tracks.
A brilliant song from an awesome album. Not one of my favourites but it's still pretty great.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This song (below) by Dylan has always stuck with me ... and in listening to it again, I just realized that it's one of my earliest childhood memories :cool:

Upvote 0

Jake Ryder

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
✟8,256.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This song (below) by Dylan has always stuck with me ... and in listening to it again, I just realized that it's one of my earliest childhood memories :cool:

That's pretty cool that it's been part of your memory for so long.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟472,961.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
my mum raised me on Bob Dylan i know a few songs of his knocking on heavens door is one of my favourites he is a genius one of the best writer of songs ever his words spoke to me as a child my mum just went to see him in Glasgow with my niece because i am scared of lots of people i couldnt go plus it was a thing for just my mum and my niece who also loves Bob Dylan i think most of my family love him i think his songs captured generations even now after all these years there is no one like him and that why i think he touched so many people with knocking on heavens door there has been diffeant bands or singers covered that song but the best version is Bob Dylan's

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
my mum raised me on Bob Dylan i know a few songs of his knocking on heavens door is one of my favourites he is a genius one of the best writer of songs ever his words spoke to me as a child my mum just went to see him in Glasgow with my niece because i am scared of lots of people i couldnt go plus it was a thing for just my mum and my niece who also loves Bob Dylan i think most of my family love him i think his songs captured generations even now after all these years there is no one like him and that why i think he touched so many people with knocking on heavens door there has been diffeant bands or singers covered that song but the best version is Bob Dylan's

Very true, Lily. I think you very well state what Dylan's songs have mean to so many people over the years. I also like 'Knocking on Heavens Door.' It definitely is a great song, too. :)

Blessings,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello there Jake Ryder, Welcome to CF.
Yea Dylan, the most talented singer, songwriter, poet of the 20th century. I makes me kind of sad though that most people seem only know his early, young stuff. Good for its time but like bread and milk compared with the meat and veg he did later, songs like Changing of the Guard, Jokerman, Highlands, What Was It You Wanted and Blind Willy McTell
(See them big plantations burning
Hear the cracking of the whips
Smell that sweet magnolia blooming
(And) see the ghosts of slavery ships
I can hear them tribes a-moaning
(I can) hear the undertaker's bell
(Yeah), nobody can sing the blues
Like Blind Willie McTell)
He was a big accompaniment in my early years. He put into words and music what we were thinking and feeling at that time and he did it in a way that made one feel and think. Some time after John Wesley Harding I stopped listening to him. It was the time I became a Christian and my focus and interests changed. Then I heard that he had become a Christian and I was so happy and started again to listen to some of the stuff he was doing. And yes he was still making one feel and think. And he has continued to experiment, develop, do his thing as only he can. I don't listen to him nor much other music these days. But over the years I've spent a lot of time with him. A great musician-poet.
A Christian? Dunno, I pray so.
><>
"Well, God is in heaven
And we all want what's his
But power and greed and corruptible seed
Seem to be all that there is"

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hey, Jake! So, what part of Dylan's song of "With God on our side" do you find to be the most meaningful?

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yea Dylan, the most talented singer, songwriter, poet of the 20th century.
I would certainly agree with songwriter and poet, but not singer. I find his voice annoying; but LOVE other groups and singers that cover his work.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Christian? Dunno, I pray so.
He came to faith in very early 1980s, but backed out into Chassidic Judaism (Chabad Lubavich) after his church REFUSED to let him bar mitzvah his son. But having read about him on a Chabad website, they were very frustrated in not being able to convince him to disbelieve the New Testament.

I have heard recently that he is now in a Messianic congregation.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He came to faith in very early 1980s, but backed out into Chassidic Judaism (Chabad Lubavich) after his church REFUSED to let him bar mitzvah his son. But having read about him on a Chabad website, they were very frustrated in not being able to convince him to disbelieve the New Testament.

I have heard recently that he is now in a Messianic congregation.
Hey Dave, Thanks, that's interesting and makes me feel optimistic. The Lord knows those who are his.
As for his voice :), man! could he wail, could he whine, could he snarl, and do the mellow yellow and silky slide, no sleepin' when Bob was beating his tambourine. Go, go Silvio, find out something that only dead men know!
><>

Upvote 0