Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WASHINGTON — The House Democratic majority continued to grow Thursday as Rep. Karen Handel, the Republican who won a high-profile Georgia special election last year, conceded to challenger Lucy McBath, bringing the party's net gain of seats in Tuesday's midterm elections to 30.

That number could grow again in coming days as more outstanding races are called. Many analysts have estimated that the number will climb closer to 38 seats by the time all votes are counted, and a dozen competitive House contests remained too close to call by midday Thursday.
Democrats rack up more gains in House as key tight races are called

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Democrat party had a big time of it, even the Republicans were expecting this. Our system craves balance and this is a trend that has been going on for decades. I honestly, and painfully, have to say I think the GOP did a great job of damage control on a trend that could have been much worse. Be advised the pendulum can and will swing the other way for the same reason. This isn't a time for gloating, it's a time to find some common ground. When Clinton faced a red wave he reached across the isle and together they got an awful lot done. Let's hope Trump has that kind of insight into what is going on here but he might be a little busy with tweets, firing people and golf to care.

• Agree
Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Democrat party had a big time of it, even the Republicans were expecting this. Our system craves balance and this is a trend that has been going on for decades. I honestly, and painfully, have to say I think the GOP did a great job of damage control on a trend that could have been much worse. Be advised the pendulum can and will swing the other way for the same reason. This isn't a time for gloating, it's a time to find some common ground. When Clinton faced a red wave he reached across the isle and together they got an awful lot done. Let's hope Trump has that kind of insight into what is going on here but he might be a little busy with tweets, firing people and golf to care.

The pendulum has swung back and forth many times in my lifetime. After Reagan and Bush, the Dems took charge with Bill Clinton and both houses of Congress. In 1994, the midterms took the Congress back to the Republicans in a huge way, and then Bush Jr. was elected 2 years later. After that, it was back to the Dems again with Obama, and then to the Republicans again with Trump. Now the midterms gave half of Congress to the Dems. In the next presidential election, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Democrats take over completely. After 4 to 8 years, can you guess which party will take their place? It's a predictable pattern.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The pendulum has swung back and forth many times in my lifetime. After Reagan and Bush, the Dems took charge with Bill Clinton and both houses of Congress. In 1994, the midterms took the Congress back to the Republicans in a huge way, and then Bush Jr. was elected 2 years later. After that, it was back to the Dems again with Obama, and then to the Republicans again with Trump. Now the midterms gave half of Congress to the Dems. In the next presidential election, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Democrats take over completely. After 4 to 8 years, can you guess which party will take their place? It's a predictable pattern.
Well yea and the red wave during the Clinton administration took the Speaker of the House and the Senate leader in it's wake, so like I said, it could have been worse. I don't know which I fear more, my party winning big in 2020 or losing, both are consequential. This is the time when things can get done in a bipartisan way if both sides just focus on what they are doing and work on the painful process of compromise and consensus. It's a narrow window and in an environment of continuous campaigning I'm less then optimistic. Keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer and hope against hope the new blood can get some things done before that crazy pendulum swings back the other way.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
WASHINGTON — The House Democratic majority continued to grow Thursday as Rep. Karen Handel, the Republican who won a high-profile Georgia special election last year, conceded to challenger Lucy McBath, bringing the party's net gain of seats in Tuesday's midterm elections to 30.

That number could grow again in coming days as more outstanding races are called. Many analysts have estimated that the number will climb closer to 38 seats by the time all votes are counted, and a dozen competitive House contests remained too close to call by midday Thursday.
Democrats rack up more gains in House as key tight races are called

If they keep finding enough new ballots it could run as high as 100 percent.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If they keep finding enough new ballots it could run as high as 100 percent.

New ballots always seem to be found when the race is close. Makes the election process look pretty disorganized when stacks of ballots mysteriously turn up in drawers, car trunks, etc. when a race is close.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's interesting watching the Republicans trying to dismiss this election by trying to push the narrative, "Why wasn't it bigger?" As opposed to why didn't you hold on if the economy is so amazing and your tax cuts helped everyone? If people are so dissatisfied with Obamacare, how come you were all lying about your support of its elements before the election? Republicans will continue to push their spin.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
New ballots always seem to be found when the race is close. Makes the election process look pretty disorganized when stacks of ballots mysteriously turn up in drawers, car trunks, etc. when a race is close.

It's an odd coincidence that the lost ballots turn up in heavily Democrat jurisdictions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Blue wave was more of a blue splash.
Losing 35+ seats and 7(?) governorships during a booming economy is pretty pathetic. The overwhelming factor here is Trump and how many people he repels.
Though most democrats seem to think it was somehow a win despite the fact political analysts saying nothing special happened.
Maybe you should consult a more diverse set of political analysts.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not odd that large population centers still have ballots to count.

It's certainly odd that the ballots have been mishandled.

This is no different than when the Gore campaign insisted on recounting in the most heavily democratic jurisdictions. It's the same as when Bob Beckel sent out the memo on how to challenge a military absentee ballot.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Losing 35+ seats and 7(?) governorships during a booming economy is pretty pathetic. The overwhelming factor here is Trump and how many people he repels.

Maybe you should consult a more diverse set of political analysts.
Obama in 2010 lost 63 seats. The overwhelming factor here is Obama and how many people he repels.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not odd that large population centers still have ballots to count.

They sure are slow about it! Other states had theirs counted before election night was over. Now it's 3 days later and they're still claiming to find new ballots.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

My state lost our Republican governor, but retained a Republican majority in the state Senate and Assembly, so the new governor will hopefully not have that much influence. It was a very close election of 49.6% to 48.4%. Not exactly a "Blue Wave" here.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's predictable of course, there is always a wave of controversy following a major election. It's not a perfect process but this one seems pretty stable and I'm expecting no major surprises.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, there seems to be evidence of substantial voter fraud, so we should wait and see what the investigations will bring forth.

"There seems to be evidence of substantial voter fraud" translates to "I think most people voted for the other guy."

You should relax. Odds are, the results won't change. If they do, feel free to challenge the validity of the ballots. There are ways to do that.

Upvote 0