I love COOKIES!!!
Dec 22, 2003
Bedfordshire
✟278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I went to a friends church last night and there was a woman praying for people. While she prayed/after she prayed she blew on their faces and most of them fell over.

I was wondering if anyone could explain why some people blow on people when they pray for them?

Any answers would be great! Thanks! :D

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While she prayed/after she prayed she blew on their faces and most of them fell over

But at the very least have a breath mint handy..

:D
I was wondering if anyone could explain why some people blow on people when they pray for them?

Perhaps just good ole prayer isn't as entertaining. Or perhaps they feel more spiritual when they do this. Or perhaps God told them to do it. Who really knows?
Any answers would be great! Thanks!
:scratch:

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Did they fall because the lady was anointed....

Or did they fall because her breath was just that bad?

Seriously though... sometimes God has people 'act out' what He is communicating. Scripture speaks of the breath of God blowing on us. In the Gospels, it says Jesus breathed on his disciples and said to them 'Receive the Holy Spirit', so there is biblical precedent.

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jim M said:
It’s usually jut theatrics, CM.

\o/

Me, I like to put my hand on their forehead....hard enough to push them down...you'll note the tape on the floor so that the "catchers" will know where to stand.

Danny

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So one third was due to bad breath.^_^
One third was due to theatrics.
It's that other one third that I'm interested in.. The real deal. Is it the real deal, if that person receiving believes that this action is of God so it takes place? I'm not knocking this, I've gone down myself. But personally it wasn't due to him blowing, pushing my forehead, yelling yeah-ah, at me. It was real what I received. So I think it's mostly a style picked up by watching other Ministers, or in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cookie-Monsta said:
So what about the one's that aren't theatrics?
I believe I said that I thought blowing on people is “usually” theatrics. Sometimes, though, if a person feels led by God to blow on someone while they are praying with them it is, of course, perfectly in order. Otherwise, maybe not.

\o/

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟27,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked a similar question a few months ago, because it happened to me. The woman praying for me blew on me, and I just thought it was odd and didn't feel it was helpful. I'd never heard of it either, but from replies I got it seems not that uncommon.

Fair enough if it is Spirit-led and blessses someone, but maybe those who do it should warn people!
The first time someone prayed over me in tongues I immediately knew that it was of God, because I had heard of the gift, and because I felt the presence of the Spirit with us, whereas with this blowing I didn't, and that possibly prevented my being open to receive fully.

I suppose it just the same as any way of praying; can be good, bad or indifferent. It probably depends on the situation and what the pray-er intends.

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trish,
So one third was due to bad breath.
One third was due to theatrics.
It's that other one third that I'm interested in.. The real deal. Is it the real deal, if that person receiving believes that this action is of God so it takes place? I'm not knocking this, I've gone down myself. But personally it wasn't due to him blowing, pushing my forehead, yelling yeah-ah, at me. It was real what I received. So I think it's mostly a style picked up by watching other Ministers, or in the Bible.

Then there are people who are so convinced it is God that they fall, but it's really emotionalism. Did Benny Hinn start this by the way? :)
I know some people have said they do this blowing because Jesus breathed on the disciples to receive the Holy Spirit. I don't think Jesus was setting a precident for blowing for all kinds of prayer.

To me it's unanointed. I've been blown upon a few times and many times had people push me with their hands. About 18 years ago I would fall but it's because I was pushed, not because the Spirit weakened my knees! So I stopped and sometimes I'd be the only person in church left standing! As soon as I felt the push and my back was arching as the catcher tickled my sides in preparation to catch 200 pounds, I stood strait up. Eventually I stopped going up for these kind of prayers altogether.

But do I believe the Spirit can knock someone off their feet? ABSOLUTELY! In 1994 I was alone up on a mountain praying and raising my arms to the Lord and WHAM, down I went on me knees. Well, no one was there to push me that time. I could FEEL the Holy Spirit surround & envelop me.

Last spring I was in my room and God began to manifest. I walked out into the hall and WHAM, I staggered into the wall and slumped to the floor. I was literally "drunk" in the Spirit.

Both times I was alone. These times were real. As for the "theatrics" I've seen in Church, I place little stock in them. Maybe well meaning, but is it really God's Spirit when a man has to push on someone, or blow on someones face.... :sick: (I've smelled some horrid breaths too, seriously - to the point some people would avoid those particular ministers! Come on, get a breath mint or a cleaning!) ;)

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Starcrystal...
Then there are people who are so convinced it is God that they fall, but it's really emotionalism. Did Benny Hinn start this by the way? :)
Oh, no this has been happening for years. I remember watching a man on TV by the name of Ernest Anglely back in the early '60's doing this on TV..

But I'm wondering if alot of times, since just about everyone is of like faith at these meetings, feel like it's expected of them to "follow through", just so not to make the minister feel "un-anointed", it just seems like when the Holy Spirit is there, you know it, you feel Him, when you are really in His presence, your liable to go down. But to see just the ones he is yelling at, or pushing on, or breathing on, and everyone else is just a spectator.. It just makes me wonder sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trish,
Oh, no this has been happening for years. I remember watching a man on TV by the name of Ernest Anglely back in the early '60's doing this on TV..

Didn't know that!
I think it's just one of those ministry quirks that someone started, someone observed, and seeing it got results, followed in their footsteps.... or breaths!
All I know is God doesn't need "catchers" nor pushing, blowing, or any of this stuff. I see in the scriptures where people fell down, and one occasion where Jesus breathes on people, but nothing is said about pushing, blowing, catchers, or "throwers" who have those little blankets to cover the womens exposed legs once they go down.

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
The Lord is my banner said:
I asked a similar question a few months ago, because it happened to me. The woman praying for me blew on me, and I just thought it was odd and didn't feel it was helpful. I'd never heard of it either, but from replies I got it seems not that uncommon.

Blessings, Susana
I take it that this was not in an Anglican Church?;)

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Starcrystal said:
Didn't know that!
I think it's just one of those ministry quirks that someone started, someone observed, and seeing it got results, followed in their footsteps.... or breaths!
All I know is God doesn't need "catchers" nor pushing, blowing, or any of this stuff. I see in the scriptures where people fell down, and one occasion where Jesus breathes on people, but nothing is said about pushing, blowing, catchers, or "throwers" who have those little blankets to cover the womens exposed legs once they go down.

Word...

I often wonder what would happen if someone on stage at one of Benny's crusades didn't fall when pushed.

Why do people fall if it's not an effect of the spirit? Is it to not make the pastor look rediculous?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cookie-Monsta said:
Hi, I went to a friends church last night and there was a woman praying for people. While she prayed/after she prayed she blew on their faces and most of them fell over.

Any answers would be great! Thanks! :D
Hope this helps:wave:

John 20:19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the disciples had gathered together31 and locked the doors32 of the place33 because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders.34 Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20:20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.35 20:21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. Just as the Father has sent me, I also send you." 20:22 And after he said this, he breathed on them and said,36 "Receive the Holy Spirit.37 20:23 If you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven;38 if you retain anyone's sins, they are retained."39

Upvote 0