Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Whilst prayer is commanded and encouraged by God, I would consider the amount and style of prayer adiaphora (though within sensible parameters); one man prays three times and he does so to the Lord. Another prays seven times and he too does so to the Lord. Thus, as you say, we have Christian liberty. I think this is the heart of what Luther is saying: don't turn adiaphora into a kind of new law at the expense of God's grace. I think Romans 14 can give us some insight into this.

Anyway, it's a very good article - certainly food for thought. Thank you for your reflections! :)

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree. Whilst prayer is commanded and encouraged by God, I would consider the amount and style of prayer adiaphora (though within sensible parameters); one man prays three times and he does so to the Lord. Another prays seven times and he too does so to the Lord. Thus, as you say, we have Christian liberty. I think this is the heart of what Luther is saying: don't turn adiaphora into a kind of new law at the expense of God's grace. I think Romans 14 can give us some insight into this.

Anyway, it's a very good article - certainly food for thought. Thank you for your reflections! :)
Good point re: Romans 14.

And yeah, for sure the different styles can allow for a lot of variation. Like Augustana says (article VII), "Nor is it necessary that human traditions, that is, rites or ceremonies, instituted by men, should be everywhere alike." Adiaphora, if understood correctly, is a good way to put it -- it's not that we should embrace evangelical-style, Hindu, or Muslim worship because "it's adiaphora!" But one person may simply say the Our Father 3 times a day, someone may use the Litany, another may follow an Eastern Rite for the hours, and yet another might follow the traditional Benedictine Liturgy with chanting, incense, and genuflections for each of the canonical hours. And all of those are truly in harmony for they all confess "one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all".

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0