• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

(Blog post) Foolish Monkery and Vain Babbling: Why I like the Canonical Hours

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Lutheran Monk, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lutheran Monk

Lutheran Monk Member

+99
    United States
    Lutheran
    Celibate
  2. dario68w

dario68w Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod

+49
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    A solid entry! Thank you.

3. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+211
    Lutheran
    Married
    I agree. Whilst prayer is commanded and encouraged by God, I would consider the amount and style of prayer adiaphora (though within sensible parameters); one man prays three times and he does so to the Lord. Another prays seven times and he too does so to the Lord. Thus, as you say, we have Christian liberty. I think this is the heart of what Luther is saying: don't turn adiaphora into a kind of new law at the expense of God's grace. I think Romans 14 can give us some insight into this.

Anyway, it's a very good article - certainly food for thought. Thank you for your reflections! :)

4. Lutheran Monk

Lutheran Monk Member

+99
    United States
    Lutheran
    Celibate
    Good point re: Romans 14.

And yeah, for sure the different styles can allow for a lot of variation. Like Augustana says (article VII), "Nor is it necessary that human traditions, that is, rites or ceremonies, instituted by men, should be everywhere alike." Adiaphora, if understood correctly, is a good way to put it -- it's not that we should embrace evangelical-style, Hindu, or Muslim worship because "it's adiaphora!" But one person may simply say the Our Father 3 times a day, someone may use the Litany, another may follow an Eastern Rite for the hours, and yet another might follow the traditional Benedictine Liturgy with chanting, incense, and genuflections for each of the canonical hours. And all of those are truly in harmony for they all confess "one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all".

5. dario68w

dario68w Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod

+49
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Indeed. I find the format in LSB to be well done.