Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then it isn't quite "nonsense", now is it if they're biased?

...Do you expect me to believe there's no such thing as Journalistic Objectivity?

"Journalistic Objectivity" was a short-lived phenomenon of the immediate post-WWII era.

There was no such concept as "journalistic objectivity" prior to WWII, and everyone knew you had to read multiple newspapers with different viewpoints to get an accurate picture of the world.

Western journalists after WWII had been shell-shocked by the disastrous propaganda of government-controlled press in Germany and the USSR, and people like Edward Murrow championed the concept of objective journalism in the post-war period.

The concept only survived for about as long as Murrow himself...the late 60s.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything I've ever read about Cuba has been drenched in bias, propaganda, and even corruption at worst. That's my point. It's very hard to get an accurate picture on this specific topic.

...It's worth noting, IMO.

You haven't been trying hard enough. The information is out there, and it's so much easier to find in the Internet age than back in the 70s and 80s when studying Cuba was part of my job.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and just for fun. These are the papers you read.

New York Post

Overall we rate the New York Post on the far end of Right-Center Biased due to story selection that typically favors the Right and Mixed (borderline questionable) for factual reporting based on several failed fact checks.

Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

Washington Times

Although the Washington Times has an extreme right editorial bias, they report straight news with a much lower bias. Therefore, we rate them right-center biased overall. We also rate them Questionable and factually mixed due to poor sourcing, holding editorial positions contrary to scientific consensus, and numerous failed fact checks.

Reasoning: Numerous Failed Fact Checks, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Wow! Thank you Captain obvious! I said numerous times I read from both sides and you picked two from the conservative side. Gasp!

You left out the Guardian - why is that?

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow! Thank you Captain obvious! I said numerous times I read from both sides and you picked to from the conservative side. Gasp!

You left out the Guardian - why is that?

View attachment 302876
Because the points you make all come from the right.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because the points you make all come from the right.

Here is another that I read:

Captured.JPG

The points I make come from the right?!

Horror of horrors! Oh, my a conservatives who makes points from the right!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As soon as a single Cuban protester so much as breaks a single storefront window, it'll become the duty of every true and loyal American to support an authoritarian regime that murders their own people.

#whenthelootingstartstheshootingstarts

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I read from yahoo news, Politico, Washington Times, The Guardian, Business Insider, NY Post, I also follow several commentators on Twitter from both sides also. I do my best to link to the sources I am quoting.

The issue I have with news casts is twofold.

First, I don’t pay for what should be free, so cable is out.

Second, there in no one, from either side that reports anymore, it is all filtered and opinionated propaganda. I believe the only way to find the truth is to listen to both sides and come to your own decision. Think for yourself.

It is the ridiculous coverage of Trump that actually made me a Trump defender. The insanity from the Left made me vocal.

Agreed. I actually had a lot of criticism for Trump that was utterly pointless to talk about because it wasn't about him being "racist".

There's a handful of stories that had caught my attention and made me realize that sources like CNN and the NYT had gone from a slightly liberal bias to full blown left wing propaganda.

The first was years ago during Evergreen College "day of absence" story that I originally read in CNN. It was a short piece about a day where "white teachers and students were asked not to attend". One "white" professor had attended and students were angry about it and protesting the teacher. I thought it was interesting so I tried to find more....

Fox told a completely different story about this professor being threatened and harassed and students searching cars looking for this guy while carrying baseball bats. That's a wildly different story. The local news we t into more detail, turns out the professor was Jewish, and this was part of a larger intimidation campaign to remove him. I wondered how CNN got it so wrong.

Then there's a couple of high profile fake hate crimes. The Air Force academy hoax that led to a colonel giving a speech that went viral. Big news for CNN and NYT. Later, FBI revealed it was a hoax perpetrated by the black student claiming to be the victim. That info barely got mentioned by CNN and NYT when it came out. Then came Jussie Smollett and we all know how that went and mainstream liberal media made zero attempts to examine why someone would do such a thing.

By the time they got to the grade school student and the native American drummer....I doubted every part of the story. It was the picture that mattered to the media....not the events leading up to the picture.

After that, it was hard not to notice. "Peaceful protesters" ransacking cities and throwing bricks and fireworks at cops. Black men getting murdered in protesters' autonomous zones....and somehow blaming police. Police are nearly burned to death in their own station.....but if they use tear gas on a crowd of rioters they're the bad guys. Anyone white....regardless of political beliefs, becomes a white supremacist upon any act of violence....regardless of motives.

The least biased news source (apart from a lot of local news) is the Christian Science Monitor. I'm an atheist and I honestly think that.

Trump hasn't done anything newsworthy in 5 months and the left still talks about him almost every day.

There's actually a fairly easy to understand reason for why news sources that used to be unbiased are now basically propaganda....but if someone get their news from them, they don't want to hear it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Journalistic Objectivity" was a short-lived phenomenon of the immediate post-WWII era.

There was no such concept as "journalistic objectivity" prior to WWII, and everyone knew you had to read multiple newspapers with different viewpoints to get an accurate picture of the world.

Western journalists after WWII had been shell-shocked by the disastrous propaganda of government-controlled press in Germany and the USSR, and people like Edward Murrow championed the concept of objective journalism in the post-war period.

The concept only survived for about as long as Murrow himself...the late 60s.

You seem to be correct... I think it takes special skills and concentration to set aside all rhetoric, but can be done. One day it will be revived, and people will wonder what took us so long to get with the program.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is another that I read:

View attachment 302878

The points I make come from the right?!

Horror of horrors! Oh, my a conservatives who makes points from the right!
I know you're not going to give up your conditioning. Trump is a great man. He's not a politician. We all hate him because he tells it like it is.

Ahem...

Trump was scum before he took office and it just got worse after. He never even tried to do the job. And for some reason all of you folks just kept apologizing for him. They had to simplify the briefings. Keep it to one topic. Make it short. Use pictures. He never read anything that he was supposed to. You pound on Biden but he pays attention in his briefings and they don't have to make them fit for a third-grader. We have a president again. He's doing the job.

So yeah, I pick on your choice of media. Example, the economy. You think that the economy was horrible until trump came along and fixed it. Look at the statistics. We had the longest period of uninterrupted growth ever under Obama. But FOX complained the entire time. Trump took office and what happened? FOX stopped complaining. That is ALL that changed. But suddenly the conservative perception was that things got better.

NOTHING CHANGED.

You are fed lies and distortions and you want me to accept that your points are valid? Tell me more about how Obama wasn't born here or that Michelle is a man or about that pedo ring in the basement of that DC pizza parlor or ... tell me all about the fraudulent election.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and just for fun. These are the papers you read.

New York Post

Overall we rate the New York Post on the far end of Right-Center Biased due to story selection that typically favors the Right and Mixed (borderline questionable) for factual reporting based on several failed fact checks.

MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

Washington Times

Although the Washington Times has an extreme right editorial bias, they report straight news with a much lower bias. Therefore, we rate them right-center biased overall. We also rate them Questionable and factually mixed due to poor sourcing, holding editorial positions contrary to scientific consensus, and numerous failed fact checks.

Reasoning: Numerous Failed Fact Checks, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Ahhhh....Media Bias Fact Check....the catfish of fact checking websites. Run by an amateur fact checker using no scientific method (or attempt at a scientific method) to justify media bias.

This guy is a fact checker the way q-anon is a Washington insider with top level clearance.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ahhhh....Media Bias Fact Check....the catfish of fact checking websites. Run by an amateur fact checker using no scientific method (or attempt at a scientific method) to justify media bias.

This guy is a fact checker the way q-anon is a Washington insider with top level clearance.
So pick a different one. I have yet to see one where the Washington Times is considered a reliable source. Tell yourself whatever you wish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I.
The.
Same.
Amount .
Of.
News.
From.
Fox.
As.
I do.
From.
CNN.
I'll address your original post. Do you know what a journalist does before they're allowed to run with a story? Usually they require the facts of the story be checked with two independent sources. So if they get a story that says "trump owes a billion dollars in loans" they need two sources that can independently verify that he owes a billion dollars in loans. Cable "news" channels like FOX have talking heads that spew their opinions about the news. So if trump is rumored to owe a billion dollars in loans they can get on the air and say they think he actually owes a trillion dollars to the Russian mafia and nobody says a word. It's their "opinion." Only what people hear is THE NEWS. They hear Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity and all the rest lending the weight of their integrity to what they just said. So when Tucker starts ranting about the election you can bet they take that and believe it's a fact.

You don't get any news from Fox. In between the the screaming heads you get some from CNN. As I pointed out earlier, Fox hasn't won a single award for journalism in the entire time they've been around. Not. One.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone remember this little gem?

Cooper: Trump declared emergency, headed to Mar-a-Lago - CNN Video

That's 2019....CNN making fun of the emergency declaration of the border crisis.

Of course, they didn't bother actually traveling to the border and verifying the existence or scope of a crisis....that's a job for journalists and news reporters. They do straight propaganda and since their loyal followers don't question them....they had to figure out a way to blame Trump or make it about toothbrushes and soap 4 months later when they couldn't hide from the truth any longer.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll address your original post. Do you know what a journalist does before they're allowed to run with a story? Usually they require the facts of the story be checked with two independent sources.

Hilarious.

See post #157

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone remember this little gem?

Cooper: Trump declared emergency, headed to Mar-a-Lago - CNN Video

That's 2019....CNN making fun of the emergency declaration of the border crisis.

Of course, they didn't bother actually traveling to the border and verifying the existence or scope of a crisis....that's a job for journalists and news reporters. They do straight propaganda and since their loyal followers don't question them....they had to figure out a way to blame Trump or make it about toothbrushes and soap 4 months later when they couldn't hide from the truth any longer.
Give me a break. The same trump who screamed and cried about the caravans approaching our borders that... never showed up?

The emergency declaration was just so he could divert funds. But once again you're believing the clowns who tell you "there's a crisis!!!" I guess if they're going to put on a show someone has to buy tickets.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you're not going to give up your conditioning. Trump is a great man. He's not a politician. We all hate him because he tells it like it is.

Ahem...

Trump was scum before he took office and it just got worse after. He never even tried to do the job. And for some reason all of you folks just kept apologizing for him. They had to simplify the briefings. Keep it to one topic. Make it short. Use pictures. He never read anything that he was supposed to. You pound on Biden but he pays attention in his briefings and they don't have to make them fit for a third-grader. We have a president again. He's doing the job.

So yeah, I pick on your choice of media. Example, the economy. You think that the economy was horrible until trump came along and fixed it. Look at the statistics. We had the longest period of uninterrupted growth ever under Obama. But FOX complained the entire time. Trump took office and what happened? FOX stopped complaining. That is ALL that changed. But suddenly the conservative perception was that things got better.

NOTHING CHANGED.

You are fed lies and distortions and you want me to accept that your points are valid? Tell me more about how Obama wasn't born here or that Michelle is a man or about that pedo ring in the basement of that DC pizza parlor or ... tell me all about the fraudulent election.

you must be confusing me with someone else. I’ve never stated 80% of what you are talking about.

You keep brining up FOX News?? What part of I don’t have cable and don’t watch FOX news do you not grasp?

Very strange replies, like you are not even reading what I post.

Upvote 0