Nanjing, China
✟69,718.00
Country
China
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I felt rushed and a bit frustrated because I’d gotten behind on writing the homework and had to prepare the lessons for my classes. Just then someone stopped over and needed to talk. Oh no! After a quick arrow prayer (Hebrews 4:16) to realign my attitude, I remembered that if GOD was giving me that work/classes HE would supply what was needed. (I Thessalonians 5:24). Only then did I really see the one who’d stopped by and I really wanted to hear what was on his heart. It was a special time, I’m so glad I didn’t miss it!

I almost missed out on those precious moments I had been given with my friend. So, silently I thanked and praised the HOLY SPIRIT for poking me and reminding me of what is really important (John 14:26).

Our lives are made up of moments, we can use them to the fullest, or waste them through selfishness and grumbling.

Although there is a time and season for all things (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 17), it is as the Preacher (King Solomon) said that our personal desires and attempts to achieve are mere vanity and grasping for the wind (NKJV or vexation of spirit KJV).

The word vanity can be translated pride, emptiness, or absurdity but the Hebrew word vanity actually means breath or vapor. The word vapor reminds me of how as a young child I thought seeing my breath in the cold winter air looked like I had been smoking. We see it for a moment but then it evaporates.

The use of that word vanity (literally vapor) indicates that whatever we do is fleeting and will soon just vanish away. Therefore, everything on our TO DO list should be prioritized and gauged on it’s eternal value. Is it just for now (on earth and GOD gives us good things to enjoy) or for eternity value (things for others as led by the HOLY SPIRIT).

I prefer the term chasing after or grasping for the wind as used in the NKJV to vexation of spirit KJV because it draws such a picture in my mind of running and grabbing after something but just can’t get it. The Hebrew word is used only in the Hebrew Bible in the book of Ecclesiastes. (See Ecclesiastes 1:14, 17, 2:11, 17, 26, 4:4, 6, 16, 6:9 NKJV) but it speaks graphically of what man’s attempts to achieve are.

For we cannot even see the wind, therefore how in the world can we grasp a hold on it?

Our moments, all of our daily grind and even our achievements are a mere vapor unless JESUS is directing them. More clearly than ever I see what JESUS meant when HE said, “Without ME you can do nothing” (John 15:5).

Do your words seem to vanish just a vapor, disappearing into the air? Do your efforts seem as if you are chasing after or grasping for the wind the goal just out of your reach? If so stop and “Trust in the LORD with all YOUR heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge GOD (consult with the LORD) and HE will direct your path” Proverbs 3:5-6. And that is a promise from our faithful GOD who cannot lie (Titus 1:2).

Hugs

Sharon

PS I got the lessons written in record time. Praise the LORD!