Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Our home objects? No. A priest has to be able to view and touch the object, so has to be done in person.
I've seen in mass and in the recitation of the rosary the priest blessing the religious objects present in the room all at once without touching them. So that I know for sure.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I've seen in mass and in the recitation of the rosary the priest blessing the religious objects present in the room all at once without touching them. So that I know for sure.
I inherited a rosary blessed by Pope St. John Paul II- whoever I inherited it from had been in his general audience one day. Those such blessings are valid, but that's vastly different from just hearing someone over the radio. That question also begs whether blessings which appear on taped programs would apply to someone fifty years in the future.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I inherited a rosary blessed by Pope St. John Paul II- whoever I inherited it from had been in his general audience one day. Those such blessings are valid, but that's vastly different from just hearing someone over the radio. That question also begs whether blessings which appear on taped programs would apply to someone fifty years in the future.
I've read in another forum that the live blessings over live shows are valid, but in that case the blessing was done by a Pope. They argued that the recordings are not valid, hence my question.

Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've read in another forum that the live blessings over live shows are valid, but in that case the blessing was done by a Pope. They argued that the recordings are not valid, hence my question.
The apostolic blessing the Pope gives at the end of his Urbi et Orbi address on Christmas day and Easter day, is the only blessing for which you can obtain an indulgence by receiving it over live television, radio or the internet.

I don't know for sure, but as making the sign of the Cross over the object is integral to the blessing of objects (and in some cases, the use of holy water), it would be reasonable to assume that the priest has to be physically present with the object.

However, the blessing of people is a little bit different, I think, as this blessing is effectively a prayer (e.g. the blessing at the end of Mass). What constitutes being blessed in these situations? Are the people in the cry room blessed at the end of Mass, even if there is a physical wall between them and the priest? That kind of blessing is a little different.

We distinguish between invocative blessings (prayer asking God for a blessing, e.g. grace before meals) and constitutive blessings (a prayer setting something aside for a sacred purpose and making it holy, e.g. blessing of liturgical equipment). But I don't think I'm the best one to explain this well :)

Upvote 0