Blessed are those who mourn... When will comfort come?

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:4 - Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

I suffer plenty. I have a chronic mental illness and despite my efforts in trying to do the best I can with my life I seem to always crumble to suffering.

Where is the comfort that I want so much? I have to close the blinds from my window and go to bed in the middle of the day because I'm suffering too much. And despite the changes in medication there's always something wrong. Please, don't tell me that the comfort will only be after I die? If I can't get a job when I lose my family, then I'll be homeless. That's my prediction. And this lingering pain inside. Horrible!

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I suffer plenty. I have a chronic mental illness and despite my efforts in trying to do the best I can with my life I seem to always crumble to suffering.

Where is the comfort that I want so much? I have to close the blinds from my window and go to bed in the middle of the day because I'm suffering too much. And despite the changes in medication there's always something wrong. Please, don't tell me that the comfort will only be after I die? If I can't get a job when I lose my family, then I'll be homeless. That's my prediction. And this lingering pain inside. Horrible!
This is something you should address with your elders.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

While I too suffer from mental illness, I'm what you call "high functioning" but it doesn't always feel that way. What peace I have on the mental illness side gets slowly drained by my physical side. Everyday I'm in some sort of pain. It's all a matter of degrees.

I wish I had a better way of comforting you. Suffering is not only painful but it can also be very isolating. What I will say is to never count the Godhead out. I can remember thinking suffering was going to be my life but I've seen God do some amazing things. Don't ever think you're alone because your not. God is right there with you. Also no one gets through this life unscathed. We all suffer, just in different ways. Don't become bitter. Pray and have others pray for you. Go to the "Prayer Forum" and see who you can pray for. Pray for those who suffer with the same illness you do. If you go to a Mental Health Center ask your contact person what classes do they have going on. See if there's something that interest you. If you're in counseling share your fears and start to make a plan that will help you feel more secure.

Be grateful for little things whatever they may be. Go outside and get some fresh air. Eat healthy. These are just suggestions but most of all know that God loves and cares for you. He's your source. Read and commit Psalm 139 to your heart and mind understanding God really does know all about you.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While I too suffer from mental illness, I'm what you call "high functioning" but it doesn't always feel that way. What peace I have on the mental illness side gets slowly drained by my physical side. Everyday I'm in some sort of pain. It's all a matter of degrees.

I wish I had a better way of comforting you. Suffering is not only painful but it can also be very isolating. What I will say is to never count the Godhead out. I can remember thinking suffering was going to be my life but I've seen God do some amazing things. Don't ever think you're alone because your not. God is right there with you. Also no one gets through this life unscathed. We all suffer, just in different ways. Don't become bitter. Pray and have others pray for you. Go to the "Prayer Forum" and see who you can pray for. Pray for those who suffer with the same illness you do. If you go to a Mental Health Center ask your contact person what classes do they have going on. See if there's something that interest you. If you're in counseling share your fears and start to make a plan that will help you feel more secure.

Be grateful for little things whatever they may be. Go outside and get some fresh air. Eat healthy. These are just suggestions but most of all know that God loves and cares for you. He's your source. Read and commit Psalm 139 to your heart and mind understanding God really does know all about you.
Thanks very much for the reply!
That pain you feel, is it from the mental illness, be it, emotional or psychosomatic, or physical due to other things?

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Read Hebrews chapter 11, my friend. It is the answer to the question you ask. It may not be one you want to hear. Pay particular attention to the shift that occurs between verses 35 and 36. We do not know which group of saints we will end up in until we close our earthly eyes fot the last time. But our concern is to Micah 6:8 till that day. Blessings to you.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks very much for the reply!
That pain you feel, is it from the mental illness, be it, emotional or psychosomatic, or physical due to other things?

Sometimes it's very much so the mental illness and I'm just all over the place or in a funk. Other times it's physical due to menopause and not being able to take Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). It's like one switch got turned off and another turned on with joint pain. Many times it's a mixture. I wake up knowing it's going to be "one of those days". Sometimes I'm like "really Jesus...I mean REALLY?"lol or it's like "apparently I am a cry baby" lol.

Sometimes I do a "do over". I go back to bed, wait and listen for when my whole system is on one accord and then I start my day over. I used to feel guilty about doing this but I found out it really does work for me. It's like my body has to do a "reset". Once I understood that, I was okay doing that. I know exercise, in my case stretching helps a whole lot. The problem is feeling motivated enough to do it, which I don't often feel but I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do believe there is comfort this side of Heaven. I have found while currently going through my own very diffiuclt time, the way I've gotten some comfort and relief is to go to sleep at night repeating and encouraging scripture verse in my mind has helped. Then I wake up in the morning and practice taking every thought captive to the mind of Christ, all day long, by noticing every off thought or feeling. I have this phrase written so I can remember it when the upsetting thoughts come, "I take this and all thoughts captive to the mind of Christ, the truth of Jesus, Who loves and cares for me." Also, I keep Christian music playing as much of the day as I can. And I listen to encouraging preachers, the ones who say I can heal and have a good life this side of Heaven. I avoid all negativity, including people who are negative, angry preachers, and the media's negativity. I don't watch the news and only watch upbeat programs. When watching the good programs I mute the ads because they can be pretty dark. Also get lots of prayer.

This is all helping me, and I believe will help anyone. I feel better and it gives me hope. Please do not give up hope ever. Jesus is praying for you, friend, and so am I. I would appreciate your prayers also. Thank you, a

• Friendly
Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I've known some people who got their breakthroughs while they were mourning, for example a friend lost her mum and got a fantastic job shortly after. I've known quite a number of people who were comforted with another child after the death of one, anoyher spouse after the loss of one etc.

You're going through a different circumstance from the above, you're suffering and going through trials but don't be dismayed God will not put you through what you can't withstand, be encouraged for God will not leave you or abandon you, you will overcome this in Jesus name. God. bless

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God can bring healing to you. I would say start to spend more time seeking God, even though it may be hard. Read the bible, and pray. I am sure God can restore you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I would submit that Jesus is talking about spiritual mourning and comforting in this passage. We mourn the damage we've done to ourselves and Jesus through our sins. Sins mind you that he was punished for on the cross. It's though mourning our wickedness and Christ's punishment that we are to receive comfort both spiritually in this world and more importantly in Heaven once we die.

In other words, this is a spiritual matter with no great promise of material or physical comfort here on Earth. We aren't promised nice things, good health or safety. The New Testament is full of examples of God's people being beaten, whipped, treated unjustly and murdered. This happened to Jesus himself, to say nothing of countless martyrs, Apostles and so on. Rather than focus on the wretchedness of this life, focus on Jesus and the hope he has given us for tomorrow.

Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0