Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What does this mean? To be poor in spirit.

Is it meaning God's spirit?

Or is it referring to being made in spirit as a poor spirit child and therefore not great upon the earth in wisdom and knowledge, etc.

Matthew 5:3
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"destitute, spiritually poor, either in a good sense (humble devout persons) or bad."

One version says "Happy the poor in spirit -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens."

Another ""Blessed are those who recognize they are spiritually helpless. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them"

Another "God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs."

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Or is it referring to being made in spirit as a poor spirit child and therefore not great upon the earth in wisdom and knowledge, etc.

It means that in our original state we have nothing but solely trust and lean on Jesus Christ alone. At conversion we become rich because of the DeBuaRe

Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
One way I learned to figure out the meaning of something is often to apply the opposite of something. In this case God clearly opposes the Proud but regards the Lowly.

Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.
Psalm 138:6
Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.
Proverbs 3:34
A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
Proverbs 29:23
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Matthew 23:12
He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
Luke 1:52
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
James 4:6
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5

Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Short version, (studied this a while back)... the "spirit" here refers to the spirit of the world, not the spirit of God. So, "blessed are those who give little weight to the ways of the world" might be a good way of looking at it.

You believe the world has a spirit, could you scriptural prove that? Or do you mean the spirit of Satan, such that then possessed people don't go to heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It means that in our original state we have nothing but solely trust and lean on Jesus Christ alone. At conversion we become rich because of the DeBuaRe

What is DeBuaRe? I couldn't find any reference on the internet.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One way I learned to figure out the meaning of something is often to apply the opposite of something. In this case God clearly opposes the Proud but regards the Lowly.

Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.
Psalm 138:6
Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.
Proverbs 3:34
A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
Proverbs 29:23
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Matthew 23:12
He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
Luke 1:52
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
James 4:6
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5

But it just says "poor in spirit". If I try to add humble or proud to that I'm making up my own scripture perhaps? Need help understanding that idea.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The poor in spirit are those who have no merit or righteousness of their own on which to stand before God.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You believe the world has a spirit, could you scriptural prove that? Or do you mean the spirit of Satan, such that then possessed people don't go to heaven?

No the world doesn't have a spirit. What I mean is not a tangible spirit like we have a spirit, or God is a spirit, but more as defining the qualities of something, like, "we come together in the spirit of cooperation"

If you wanted to associate it with a tangible spirit, the Bible calls the devil the "ruler of this world", and I think that would be analogous.

Also note, it isn't a reference to heaven, it's a reference to blessing that points to the Kingdom of God. So those who don't do things the worlds way will see the blessings of God and be demonstrators and ambassadors of His Kingdom to others.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, it means God's Spirit, and poor means in the worldly sense of lacking carnal comforts and riches. So it reads, "The poor people are blessed in God's Spirit".

James 2:5
Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Luke 6:20
And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What is DeBuaRe? I couldn't find any reference on the internet.
It is something that the Spirit revealed to me several years ago. Stands for the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of my LORD and Saviour and I prefer to celebrate it instead of Easter...

• Informative
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think it is a statement of accommodation to our perspective. If I realize that I am spiritually bankrupt, then I will seek for God to make me spiritually rich. Whenever we gain knowledge about God's holiness and compare it with the unholiness of ourselves, we then see that we are spiritually poor. On the other hand, if I think I'm righteous or basically good, I won't see my need for the Savior.
TD:)

• Winner
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

When Jesus begins his innaural sermon with the beatitudes, he is talking about discipleship. As a sinner you come to God poor, pityful, blind and naked. The most miserable of beggars. This is simply the mind of a repeantant sinner. After that the sinner mourns, become meek rather the proud and boastfull, hungering and thirsting after righteousness. The rest are more practical, the pure in heart become peacemakers and face persecution like the peophets who were before them. Now Jesus did speak as if the poor were at an advantage, James says a lot of the same things. Looking at Roman 1-3 and various other doctrinal discussions this ia a picture of true repentance, it's the gateway to the gospel and the narrow path that leads to life.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The lowly, the meek, the foolish things of this world are also the least valued and the most degraded and rejected. Humility comes easier for them. And that state makes them much more open to God, much more malleable. The winners lose and the losers are exalted in Christianity.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The lowly, the meek, the foolish things of this world are also the least valued and the most degraded and rejected. Humility comes easier for them. And that state makes them much more open to God, much more malleable. The winners lose and the losers are exalted in Christianity.

Yeah, that I did notice about Christianity, it's not a "cool" thing to the prideful.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

sungaunga

Jul 10, 2009
✟27,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question OP.

Being poor in spirit is realizing your spiritual poverty. This is significant. It's the first thing said, first thing recorded in terms of actual preaching from Jesus. Why does He begin with this? Because it is the fundamental characteristic of the Christian. All other characteristics flow from this one. This is where everything starts.

Upvote 0