Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 9:32 As they went out, behold, they brought to Him a man, mute and demon-possessed. 33 And when the demon was cast out, the mute spoke. And the multitudes marveled, saying, "It was never seen like this in Israel!" 34 But the Pharisees said, "He casts out demons by the ruler of the demons."
35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest." NKJV

In the above Jesus was accused if healing by the power of Satan. Yet there was no warning from Jesus about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Ezek 3:17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me: 18 When I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. NKJV

In Ezekiel God stated the watchman rule for prophets. As watchmen prophets had to warn people of dangers from God due to their actions. Jesus as a prophet had to warn anyone who was in danger of sinning a sin that could not be forgiven. Since Jesus did not give a warning in Matthew 9:32 above no one at that time was in danger of committing blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Let's list the different groups present. The healed person, the general crowd, the Pharisees (at least one of whom accused Jesus of healing by the power of Satan) and a group of disciples following Jesus (at least 12 but likely there were many more). None of that crowd could have committed blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: mlepfitjw

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 9:32 As they went out, behold, they brought to Him a man, mute and demon-possessed. 33 And when the demon was cast out, the mute spoke. And the multitudes marveled, saying, "It was never seen like this in Israel!" 34 But the Pharisees said, "He casts out demons by the ruler of the demons."
35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest." NKJV

In the above Jesus was accused if healing by the power of Satan. Yet there was no warning from Jesus about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Ezek 3:17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me: 18 When I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. NKJV

In Ezekiel God stated the watchman rule for prophets. As watchmen prophets had to warn people of dangers from God due to their actions. Jesus as a prophet had to warn anyone who was in danger of sinning a sin that could not be forgiven. Since Jesus did not give a warning in Matthew 9:32 above no one at that time was in danger of committing blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Let's list the different groups present. The healed person, the general crowd, the Pharisees (at least one of whom accused Jesus of healing by the power of Satan) and a group of disciples following Jesus (at least 12 but likely there were many more). None of that crowd could have committed blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, an offense that Jesus identifies as an “eternal sin” that can never be forgiven (Mark 3:28–30). In the immediate context for this passage, the works of God performed by Jesus through the Holy Spirit are being attributed to the spirit of Beel-zebul (3:22). Those who identify the saving work of God as something evil commit a sin that is unpardonable because, ironically, the power they reject holds their only hope for pardon. See also blasphemy.

Benko, S., & Powell, M. A. (2011). blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. In M. A. Powell (Ed.), The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary (Revised and Updated) (Third Edition, p. 98). New York: HarperCollins.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

It was the Nation of Israel as a whole.

Upvote 0

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, an offense that Jesus identifies as an “eternal sin” that can never be forgiven (Mark 3:28–30). In the immediate context for this passage, the works of God performed by Jesus through the Holy Spirit are being attributed to the spirit of Beel-zebul (3:22). Those who identify the saving work of God as something evil commit a sin that is unpardonable because, ironically, the power they reject holds their only hope for pardon. See also blasphemy.

Benko, S., & Powell, M. A. (2011). blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. In M. A. Powell (Ed.), The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary (Revised and Updated) (Third Edition, p. 98). New York: HarperCollins.

I guess that you cited Benko an Powell to prove your statement. To me the only authority is scripture. That is why I always post the scriptures that I use to determine my doctrine.

Mark 3: 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons." NKJV

Mark 3:23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. NKJV

Here Jesus warns about BHS. There must be a difference. Let's list the different groups. The the healed, general crowd , the Pharisees , many disciples and ---

Mark 3:13 And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. 14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, 15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons: 16 Simon, to whom He gave the name Peter; 17 James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, to whom He gave the name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder"; 18 Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Cananite; 19 and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him. And they went into a house. NKJV

12 apostles. The only difference is 12 apostles. The apostles were those disciples that Jesus gave special powers to.

Now in the Mark verses it states He (Jesus) called them to Himself and warned about BHS, The “them” appears to be the people who said that He heals by Satan. But this warning was in parables according to Mark. Jesus said He used parables so only the disciples could understand the secrets of the Kingdom of God. In this group the disciples and Apostles were present and because Jesus used a parable this warning was for them.

Luke 11:14 And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. So it was, when the demon had gone out, that the mute spoke; and the multitudes marveled. 15 But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons." NKJV

In the Luke scripture Jesus does not warn about BHS until the below.

Luke 12:1 In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all,.............................................................10 "And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven. 11 "Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." NKJV

The groups are basically the same except here it says Jesus was speaking mainly to the disciples which included the 12 apostles. This supports Mark in that the warning is given to the Apostles. 2 witnesses determine the truth.

This is not in a parable as Jesus gives a clue of just what BHS is in verses 11 and 12. If one does not follow what the Holy Spirit tells them to say it is disobedience to the Holy Spirit's specific directions and it would be blasphemy.

Matt 10:20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. NKJV

Jesus warned the disciples after He had given them special powers and after the Pharisees had determined to reject Jesus as the Messiah. Jesus knew that the Pharisees would try to get His disciples to betray Him. We know from the gospel of John that the Spirit was not given until Jesus died. However, before then the Spirit of the Father would help them speak to the authorities. Once Judas had spoken to the authorities to betray Jesus he could not be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess that you cited Benko an Powell to prove your statement. To me the only authority is scripture. That is why I always post the scriptures that I use to determine my doctrine.

Mark 3: 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons." NKJV

Mark 3:23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. NKJV

Here Jesus warns about BHS. There must be a difference. Let's list the different groups. The the healed, general crowd , the Pharisees , many disciples and ---

Mark 3:13 And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. 14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, 15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons: 16 Simon, to whom He gave the name Peter; 17 James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, to whom He gave the name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder"; 18 Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Cananite; 19 and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him. And they went into a house. NKJV

12 apostles. The only difference is 12 apostles. The apostles were those disciples that Jesus gave special powers to.

Now in the Mark verses it states He (Jesus) called them to Himself and warned about BHS, The “them” appears to be the people who said that He heals by Satan. But this warning was in parables according to Mark. Jesus said He used parables so only the disciples could understand the secrets of the Kingdom of God. In this group the disciples and Apostles were present and because Jesus used a parable this warning was for them.

Luke 11:14 And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. So it was, when the demon had gone out, that the mute spoke; and the multitudes marveled. 15 But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons." NKJV

Luke 12:1 In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all,.............................................................10 "And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven. 11 "Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." NKJV

The groups are basically the same except here it says Jesus was speaking mainly to the disciples which included the 12 apostles. This supports Mark in that the warning is given to the Apostles. 2 witnesses determine the truth.

This is not in a parable as Jesus gives a clue of just what BHS is in verses 11 and 12. If one does not follow what the Holy Spirit tells them to say it is disobedience to the Holy Spirit's specific directions and it would be blasphemy.

Matt 10:20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. NKJV

Jesus warned the disciples after He had given them special powers and after the Pharisees had determined to reject Jesus as the Messiah. Jesus knew that the Pharisees would try to get His disciples to betray Him. We know from the gospel of John that the Spirit was not given until Jesus died. However, before then the Spirit of the Father would help them speak to the authorities. Once Judas had spoken to the authorities to betray Jesus he could not be forgiven.
Do you think it is a sin to read any book but the Bible?

Upvote 0

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think it is a sin to read any book but the Bible?

If I have given you any reason to believe that reading any book other than the bible is a sin I will state that I do not believe that it is. I do not listen to the experts as throughout the bible the experts were wrong and those who believed to the scriptures were right. I trust the scriptures as my ultimate authority

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. The Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by a demon (Matthew 12:24). Notice in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what the Pharisees did to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “He said this because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.

Jesus told the crowd that the Pharisees’ blasphemy against the Holy Spirit “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32). This is another way of saying that their sin would never be forgiven, ever. Not now, not in eternity. As Mark 3:29 puts it, “They are guilty of an eternal sin.”

The immediate result of the Pharisees’ public rejection of Christ (and God’s rejection of them) is seen in the next chapter. Jesus, for the first time, “told them many things in parables” (Matthew 13:3; cf. Mark 4:2). The disciples were puzzled at Jesus’ change of teaching method, and Jesus explained His use of parables: “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. . . . Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand” (Matthew 13:11, 13). Jesus began to veil the truth with parables and metaphors as a direct result of the Jewish leaders’ official denunciation of Him.

Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit.

The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36).got?

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I have given you any reason to believe that reading any book other than the bible is a sin I will state that I do not believe that it is. I do not listen to the experts as throughout the bible the experts were wrong and those who believed to the scriptures were right. I trust the scriptures as my ultimate authority
So edjukation is useless?

• Haha
Upvote 0

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. The Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by a demon (Matthew 12:24). Notice in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what the Pharisees did to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “He said this because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.

Jesus told the crowd that the Pharisees’ blasphemy against the Holy Spirit “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32). This is another way of saying that their sin would never be forgiven, ever. Not now, not in eternity. As Mark 3:29 puts it, “They are guilty of an eternal sin.”

The immediate result of the Pharisees’ public rejection of Christ (and God’s rejection of them) is seen in the next chapter. Jesus, for the first time, “told them many things in parables” (Matthew 13:3; cf. Mark 4:2). The disciples were puzzled at Jesus’ change of teaching method, and Jesus explained His use of parables: “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. . . . Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand” (Matthew 13:11, 13). Jesus began to veil the truth with parables and metaphors as a direct result of the Jewish leaders’ official denunciation of Him.

Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit.

The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36).got?

hope this helps !!!

Yes. Jesus warned about BHS after being accused by the Pharisees of healing by the power of Satan. But if that warning was for the those who accused Him He would have had to warn those in Matthew 9: 32-34 when they accused Him. We could say that it is an over cite by the Holy Spirit in not recording it except there are 2 other witness to the fact that the warning(s) was/were for the disciples. By Mark Jesus used parables. So His warning could only be understood by the disciples. In Luke when Jesus warns about BHS He was specifically speaking to the disciples. By Jesus being a prophet he had to warn the people committing the sin. This is more important since BHS is not defined under the law. Now if it was committing BHS by accusing Jesus of healing by the power of Satan then they had already blasphemed the Holy Spirit by this accusation. Therefore; this warning was not for those who accused Him.

As for it not being able BHS today there are other witnesses that disagree.

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. NKJV

Here is where some Galatians wanted to become circumcised because someone had convinced them they had to be circumcised to be saved. As Paul states if they did then they would have to obey the entire law as Christ would profit them nothing. As we know from the scriptures (Romans 3: 20) no one will be justified by observing the law. If they fell from grace, they did not qualify for grace anymore, and Jesus would be of no value to them. If they did not lose salvation then Jesus is still of profit to them.

Gal 2:18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. NKJV

Paul had stated earlier in Galatians if he rebuilt those things he had destroyed even He would become a transgressor. He had destroyed his reliance on his circumcision and works of the law to please God. He would, just as he wrote in Galatians 5 above, have to obey the entire law. By Romans 3: 20 no one will be justified by works of the law.

Rom 6:10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. NKJV

Jesus died only one time for all people and all their sins.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. NKJV0

If people reject Jesus after believing in Him as their savior they can not be brought back into repentance.

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life." NKJV

Therefore; those who have received Jesus' salvation and later reject Him are guilty of a sin that cannot be forgiven.
Jesus died once for them and God will not grant repentance again. Since the Father is responsible for discipline His spirit would be telling them not to continue with their sin of rejection. If they still rejected Jesus they would be blaspheming the Father's Spirit by their sin of rejecting Jesus in spite of the His warning.

I am sorry Mr Dave L. it seems my explanation was not enough. What have I done to deserve you ridicule?

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-16_12-37-44.png
    upload_2020-11-16_12-37-44.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Jesus warned about BHS after being accused by the Pharisees of healing by the power of Satan. But if that warning was for the those who accused Him He would have had to warn those in Matthew 9: 32-34 when they accused Him. We could say that it is an over cite by the Holy Spirit in not recording it except there are 2 other witness to the fact that the warning(s) was/were for the disciples. By Mark Jesus used parables. So His warning could only be understood by the disciples. In Luke when Jesus warns about BHS He was specifically speaking to the disciples. By Jesus being a prophet he had to warn the people committing the sin. This is more important since BHS is not defined under the law. Now if it was committing BHS by accusing Jesus of healing by the power of Satan then they had already blasphemed the Holy Spirit by this accusation. Therefore; this warning was not for those who accused Him.

As for it not being able BHS today there are other witnesses that disagree.

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. NKJV

Here is where some Galatians wanted to become circumcised because someone had convinced them they had to be circumcised to be saved. As Paul states if they did then they would have to obey the entire law as Christ would profit them nothing. As we know from the scriptures (Romans 3: 20) no one will be justified by observing the law. If they fell from grace, they did not qualify for grace anymore, and Jesus would be of no value to them. If they did not lose salvation then Jesus is still of profit to them.

Gal 2:18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. NKJV

Paul had stated earlier in Galatians if he rebuilt those things he had destroyed even He would become a transgressor. He had destroyed his reliance on his circumcision and works of the law to please God. He would, just as he wrote in Galatians 5 above, have to obey the entire law. By Romans 3: 20 no one will be justified by works of the law.

Rom 6:10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. NKJV

Jesus died only one time for all people and all their sins.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. NKJV0

If people reject Jesus after believing in Him as their savior they can not be brought back into repentance.

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life." NKJV

Therefore; those who have received Jesus' salvation and later reject Him are guilty of a sin that cannot be forgiven.
Jesus died once for them and God will not grant repentance again. Since the Father is responsible for discipline His spirit would be telling them not to continue with their sin of rejection. If they still rejected Jesus they would be blaspheming the Father's Spirit by their sin of rejecting Jesus in spite of the His warning.

I am sorry Mr Dave L. it seems my explanation was not enough. What have I done to deserve you ridicule?
How big is your library?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So edjukation is useless?

When I say that I do not accept your quoted commentaries because I only accept scripture you ask me if I think reading is a sin?

My reply was: If I have given you any reason to believe that reading book other than the bible is a sin I will state that I do not believe it is. I do not listen to the experts as those who believed to the scriptures were right. I trust the scriptures as my ultimate authority.

I admit it is not proper English. However, even given my bad English it could not have prompted your misunderstanding. Your reply to that was: “So edjukation is useless?”

Now the misspelling has nothing to do with my reply. My fat fingers cause me to misspell constantly. Plus my macular degeneration does not help. However, your question is clear and I believe should read : So education is useless?

Your first reply as to if I thought reading was a sin, to me, did not fit what I said even with by bad English. However, the question: So education is useless? Misses what I said entirely. The beginning of wisdom is to fear God. The bible is the only source of true wisdom. Does my reading only the bible offend you? I can only wonder why your replies are so far from what I stated.

I will state that I find your replies demeaning and I ask you to please desist from posting any replies to my posts. I will not offend you by posting to your statements. In addition, I will not post on any topic that you post on. Is that acceptable to you?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I say that I do not accept your quoted commentaries because I only accept scripture you ask me if I think reading is a sin?

My reply was: If I have given you any reason to believe that reading book other than the bible is a sin I will state that I do not believe it is. I do not listen to the experts as those who believed to the scriptures were right. I trust the scriptures as my ultimate authority.

I admit it is not proper English. However, even given my bad English it could not have prompted your misunderstanding. Your reply to that was: “So edjukation is useless?”

Now the misspelling has nothing to do with my reply. My fat fingers cause me to misspell constantly. Plus my macular degeneration does not help. However, your question is clear and I believe should read : So education is useless?

Your first reply as to if I thought reading was a sin, to me, did not fit what I said even with by bad English. However, the question: So education is useless? Misses what I said entirely. The beginning of wisdom is to fear God. The bible is the only source of true wisdom. Does my reading only the bible offend you? I can only wonder why your replies are so far from what I stated.

I will state that I find your replies demeaning and I ask you to please desist from posting any replies to my posts. I will not offend you by posting to your statements. In addition, I will not post on any topic that you post on. Is that acceptable to you?
I'm sorry for offending you. That was not my intent. It was only to show that books are good and teach us more than we could ever learn in a lifetime without them.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

the only benefit of not using an outside source to assist in interpreting the Scriptures is the self serving convenience to completely ignore the fact the interpretation is wrong.

Upvote 0

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To continue with witnesses that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can still be committed.
1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. NKJV.

The plain text interpretation there is a sin not leading to death and sin leading to death in verse 16. We can pray for the sin not leading to death and God will give the sinner life. If God answers our prayer by granting life to the sinner, it must mean that the sin not unto death would have resulted in death. It's just because God grants our request that the sin not leading to death does not result in death. The death that results from them sin not unto death is mortal death.

John did not describe the sin unto death so those he was writing to must have been able to identify if a sin was unto death or not. How does one identify if an unsaved person is committing a sin unto death? The sin unto death was easy to identify in the early church. This will be covered later.

Now the sin leading to death we are not to pray for. The reason that we are told not to pray for the sin unto death is because whether the person dies or lives is entirely up to him/her. The only thing the Holy Spirit will do is witness to the person as to the seriousness of the sin unto death. Christ has died once for the person and given the gift of the Holy Spirit to him already. The death in the sin unto death is eternal death.
How could the people John was writing to know if the person was committing a sin unto death?

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. 18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit." NKJV

The early church had a way to know who was saved and who was not. Every time someone received Jesus as their savior the apostles would lay hands on them and manifest gifts were given to prove salvation. Inside Judea this was no problem. Outside Judea this meant an apostle had to travel and verify that the people were in fact saved.( Do not lose the fact that this laying on of hands only proved salvation. The people were saved before the manifest gifts were given.) Also call to mind in the case of Cornelius God could give the gifts without the need of the apostles. Therefore; in the early church as long as the apostles were alive the certification of true believers by manifest gifts might have been as high as 100%.
Back to 1John 5: 16. The early believers knew who was sinning a sin unto death. If that person had received manifest gifts as proof of salvation and then later rejected Jesus; that person was committing a sin unto death. If the person continued in their behavior they were doing it in defiance of the Holy Spirits warnings. If they did not repent they committed BHS. Only a saved person can commit a sin unto death.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To continue with witnesses that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can still be committed.
1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. NKJV.

The plain text interpretation there is a sin not leading to death and sin leading to death in verse 16. We can pray for the sin not leading to death and God will give the sinner life. If God answers our prayer by granting life to the sinner, it must mean that the sin not unto death would have resulted in death. It's just because God grants our request that the sin not leading to death does not result in death. The death that results from them sin not unto death is mortal death.

John did not describe the sin unto death so those he was writing to must have been able to identify if a sin was unto death or not. How does one identify if an unsaved person is committing a sin unto death? The sin unto death was easy to identify in the early church. This will be covered later.

Now the sin leading to death we are not to pray for. The reason that we are told not to pray for the sin unto death is because whether the person dies or lives is entirely up to him/her. The only thing the Holy Spirit will do is witness to the person as to the seriousness of the sin unto death. Christ has died once for the person and given the gift of the Holy Spirit to him already. The death in the sin unto death is eternal death.
How could the people John was writing to know if the person was committing a sin unto death?

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. 18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit." NKJV

The early church had a way to know who was saved and who was not. Every time someone received Jesus as their savior the apostles would lay hands on them and manifest gifts were given to prove salvation. Inside Judea this was no problem. Outside Judea this meant an apostle had to travel and verify that the people were in fact saved.( Do not lose the fact that this laying on of hands only proved salvation. The people were saved before the manifest gifts were given.) Also call to mind in the case of Cornelius God could give the gifts without the need of the apostles. Therefore; in the early church as long as the apostles were alive the certification of true believers by manifest gifts might have been as high as 100%.
Back to 1John 5: 16. The early believers knew who was sinning a sin unto death. If that person had received manifest gifts as proof of salvation and then later rejected Jesus; that person was committing a sin unto death. If the person continued in their behavior they were doing it in defiance of the Holy Spirits warnings. If they did not repent they committed BHS. Only a saved person can commit a sin unto death.
Do you have other evidence, such as statements from theologians that confirm your understanding? Point in fact while using Scripture to define Scripture is one valid method of exegesis, it is not the only one. And it should not be used without the use of additional methods to confirm the conclusions. Suffice it to say that enough verses can be collected out of context to support almost any position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you have other evidence, such as statements from theologians that confirm your understanding? Point in fact while using Scripture to define Scripture is one valid method of exegesis, it is not the only one. And it should not be used without the use of additional methods to confirm the conclusions. Suffice it to say that enough verses can be collected out of context to support almost any position.

I don't know what you want me to back up with theologians writings? What do you want proven by the experts? I post my proof in Italicized scripture. I do not believe that I have used scripture out of context. If the plain meaning makes sense and supported by other scripture then that is probably what the scripture means. The normal print is my conclusions from what I read in the bible.

Luke 12:41 Then Peter said to Him, "Lord, do You speak this parable only to us, or to all people?" 42 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 44 Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has. 45 But if that servant says in his heart, 'My master is delaying his coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and be drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. NKJV

Peter asked if Jesus was talking to all the people or to him. Jesus answered by telling him a parable about a steward. Now a parallel scripture to the above is Matthew 24: 45. In Matthew 17:19 Jesus had given Peter the keys to the kingdom. By giving Peter the keys Jesus had made Peter a steward of the kingdom of God on earth. So this parable applies to believers.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Thought it meant I could no longer belong to God which in the long run caught up with me 24 years later on my life, which lead me to Christ Yeshua only to be found out to have been saved from my sin and only to rejoice in thankfulness unto him which could, and we could not.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what you want me to back up with theologians writings? What do you want proven by the experts? I post my proof in Italicized scripture. I do not believe that I have used scripture out of context. If the plain meaning makes sense and supported by other scripture then that is probably what the scripture means. The normal print is my conclusions from what I read in the bible.

Luke 12:41 Then Peter said to Him, "Lord, do You speak this parable only to us, or to all people?" 42 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 44 Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has. 45 But if that servant says in his heart, 'My master is delaying his coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and be drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. NKJV

Peter asked if Jesus was talking to all the people or to him. Jesus answered by telling him a parable about a steward. Now a parallel scripture to the above is Matthew 24: 45. In Matthew 17:19 Jesus had given Peter the keys to the kingdom. By giving Peter the keys Jesus had made Peter a steward of the kingdom of God on earth. So this parable applies to believers.
Let me simplify the question what evidence do you have that your interpretation of any verse of Scripture is correct, what have you used to verify your conclusions.

Upvote 0

fli

Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟335,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Thought it meant I could no longer belong to God which in the long run caught up with me 24 years later on my life, which lead me to Christ Yeshua only to be found out to have been saved from my sin and only to rejoice in thankfulness unto him which could, and we could not.

If scripture is not validated by scripture it is not validated. You can validate by using other men outside those we know to have been under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and authorized by God to write scripture if you want. I will not accept it as valid. When I search for meanings I use several different versions and take the meaning to be the one where most of the versions agree

Example:
I have added the scriptures to be the ones in Question. I should have done that with my first post but I could find enough difference in the meanings with 1john5.

When I search for meanings I use several different versions and take the meaning to be the one where most of the versions agree.

Example:
1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. NKJV

1 John 5:16 For instance, if we see a Christian believer sinning (clearly I'm not talking about those who make a practice of sin in a way that is "fatal," leading to eternal death), we ask for God's help and he gladly gives it, gives life to the sinner whose sin is not fatal. There is such a thing as a fatal sin, and I'm not urging you to pray about that. (from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

Same verse different meanings. When I poll my versions the NKJV is winner. Therefore, I accept that versions meaning as accurate. There is a wide variation in the words used in those that agree but they mean the same thing. Example:

1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that does not bring death, he should ask, and God will give life to him—to those who commit sin that doesn’t bring death. There is sin that brings death. I am not saying he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin that does not bring death.
(from The Apologetics Study Bible, Copyright © 2007 by Holman Bible Publishers. All Rights Reserved.)
1 John 5:16 If anyone sees a brother or sister sinning (sin that does not lead to eternal death), that person should pray, and God will give the sinner life. I am talking about people whose sin does not lead to eternal death. There is sin that leads to death. I do not mean that a person should pray about that sin. NCV

The above is a comparison of the Holman and the New Century Version Both agree with the NKJV but use entirely different words.

1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. NKJV

First of all the plain text reading is: John is talking about a believer seeing another believer committing a sin. We are starting off with a believer. He can commit a sin unto death and a sin not unto death. That is the majority translation in my bibles.

The plain text reading is there is two types of death. What are the two types of death throughout the bible? Mortal death that all people except the raptured will go through. And eternal death which only those who are not in Jesus will go through. In the NT believers can be said to die as in Romans 4: 8 or sleep as in 1 Corinthians 11:30 and Thessalonians 4:14.

Lets go to a place where believers are in sin and die. Comparing scripture with scripture.

1 Cor 11:27 -32 Paul talks about people being chastened by the Lord. So the first thing is Paul is talking about true believers because (Heb 12:8) God does not chasten illegitimate sons (unbelievers). In I Cor 11:27-32 some believers go to sleep under chastisement. Because Paul said sleep he is talking about believers who die a mortal death. Their bodies die but the Spirit lives. The Corinthian believers committed a sin not unto death because the went to sleep and did not die.
Therefore; the sin not unto death is a sin unto corporeal (mortal) death. Since there are only two types of death the sin unto death must be eternal death.

We know from 1 John 1:8-10 that all believers sin. We also know that if we seek forgiveness God grants it. Therefore both the sin unto death and the sin not unto death the believer is not asking for forgiveness. If we pray for the sin not unto death God will grant life. That sin must be able to be forgiven. The sin unto death cannot be forgiven because God will not receive prayers for it.

Sorry about the first post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont believe anyone can really blaspheme the holy spirit was my point.

The blaspheme came up about when the pharisees were calling the Lord Yeshua the king of Demons.

It doesn't really seem people do that anymore, really, other than maybe just completely reject God out right.

Upvote 0