✟19,010.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear All,

In 2011, my boyfriend wanted us to have sex before married. I rejected him by saying that I'm not ready and still want to keep my virginity until Holy Matrimony wedding. However, he threatened me! He said if I do not want to have sex with him, he will cursed the Holy Spirit. Well, I do not think too much on it and dumped him.

Now, my question is Will he going to be forgiven by our Lord for blaspheming the Holy Spirit? I know he is a good guy with no behaviour issue. He devoted his life to God but on this sex matter, he is out of his mind. I do not know why. But, I feel bad if he is not going to be forgiven for what he said.

I appreciate anyone advise on this matter. Thank you in advance.

In Christ,
Rachel

• Prayers
Reactions: mukk_in

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear All,

In 2011, my boyfriend wanted us to have sex before married. I rejected him by saying that I'm not ready and still want to keep my virginity until Holy Matrimony wedding. However, he threatened me! He said if I do not want to have sex with him, he will cursed the Holy Spirit. Well, I do not think too much on it and dumped him.

Now, my question is Will he going to be forgiven by our Lord for blaspheming the Holy Spirit? I know he is a good guy with no behaviour issue. He devoted his life to God but on this sex matter, he is out of his mind. I do not know why. But, I feel bad if he is not going to be forgiven for what he said.

In Christ,
Rachel

He may indeed reject God's forgiveness for his soul, or he may finally someday accept it. Rejecting God's forgiveness for one's soul - when prompted by the Holy Spirit to accept it - is the unpardonable sin, but only when it is a lifelong rejection. And it's perfectly sensible to understand one cannot be forgiven for rejecting forgiveness. But don't fret about his soul in that way. God will see to it he is approached by His spirit in the way that gives him the best chance. You can pray for him with that hope in mind. What he does or says when the Spirit is not approaching him doesn't matter. Its not the words one way or another . . . its the actual rejection of the actual Spirit when the Spirit draws near.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Dear All,

In Christ,
Rachel
I think you had a lucky escape. I see it as the Holy Spirit showing the guy up in his true colours to show that he is totally unsuitable for you and if you marry him, you may have years of sadness and regret when he shows more of what he is really like.

He is not blaspheming the Holy Spirit because he is not accusing anyone operating in the Spirit that they are of the devil. Jesus made the statement in relation to some of the religious leaders telling Him that He was casting out demons trough the prince of demons. Because He was motivated and empowered by the Holy Spirit to cast out demons, it was the Holy Spirit's work, So to accuse someone moving in the Spirit that they are being demonic, is blasphemy against the Spirit.

But this guy has now shown you something of what his heart is really like. Marrying him will not enhance your experience with God. He will be domineering and will get between you and Christ. A good husband will never do that. Instead of loving and respecting you for who you are in Christ, he was intending to use and exploit you for his own sexual gratification. If he had sex with you it would be just a form of masturbation, using your body, instead of it being an act of love that both of you would achieve joy and happiness through the love act.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you had a lucky escape. I see it as the Holy Spirit showing the guy up in his true colours to show that he is totally unsuitable for you and if you marry him, you may have years of sadness and regret when he shows more of what he is really like.

He is not blaspheming the Holy Spirit because he is not accusing anyone operating in the Spirit that they are of the devil. Jesus made the statement in relation to some of the religious leaders telling Him that He was casting out demons trough the prince of demons. Because He was motivated and empowered by the Holy Spirit to cast out demons, it was the Holy Spirit's work, So to accuse someone moving in the Spirit that they are being demonic, is blasphemy against the Spirit.

But this guy has now shown you something of what his heart is really like. Marrying him will not enhance your experience with God. He will be domineering and will get between you and Christ. A good husband will never do that. Instead of loving and respecting you for who you are in Christ, he was intending to use and exploit you for his own sexual gratification. If he had sex with you it would be just a form of masturbation, using your body, instead of it being an act of love that both of you would achieve joy and happiness through the love act.
Yes, as per your advice, the OP seems to have had a merciful release.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Dear All,

In Christ,
Rachel
I think that using this kind of threat in an attempt to defile your own personal holiness comes very close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. It in the end was very lewd and tawdry behavior on his part.

Intent is a very important part of blasphemy. If the intent is act in the name of the Holy Spirit to do the devils work, this is blasphemy that will not be forgiven. In the case of your former boyfriend, the intent does not seem to have much to do with the Holy Spirit at all, but was mostly a misguided attempt to prove that his lust for you was greater than his love for even God. It was tawdry behavior more than blasphemous. It was manipulative and malicious.

As we forgive though, so too does God. Rest assured that if you can forgive this man for his trespasses against you, God will be infinitely more forgiving. If you can see the good in him, so too will God be able to see the good in him.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachel Chong
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that using this kind of threat in an attempt to defile your own personal holiness comes very close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. It in the end was very lewd and tawdry behavior on his part.

Intent is a very important part of blasphemy. If the intent is act in the name of the Holy Spirit to do the devils work, this is blasphemy that will not be forgiven. In the case of your former boyfriend, the intent does not seem to have much to do with the Holy Spirit at all, but was mostly a misguided attempt to prove that his lust for you was greater than his love for even God. It was tawdry behavior more than blasphemous. It was manipulative and malicious.

As we forgive though, so too does God. Rest assured that if you can forgive this man for his trespasses against you, God will be infinitely more forgiving. If you can see the good in him, so too will God be able to see the good in him.
I concur with your views. Ananias and Saphira lost their lives because they lied to the Holy Spirit just because they said that the money they laid at the Apostles' feet was the whole proceeds from the sale of their land. It was not the amount of money because Peter said that they could have done what they like with the money, implying that they could have said quote honestly that the money they were contributing was just of the proceeds of the sale. It was the lie that did them in.

The serious nature of the guy's conduct is that he threatened to curse the Holy Spirit if he didn't get his lustful way with the girl. He is showing disrespect for the Holy Spirit but his intention is to make the girl feel guilty by cursing a Person who she loves and wants to obey. Why he thought he could get anywhere by doing that is beyond me.

It is like the black sheriff in Blazing Saddles who puts a gun to his own head saying it they didn't drop their weapons "the *** (not permitted to say the word) gets it!"

What the guy is doing is saying, "If you don't give me sex, I'll shoot myself in the foot!" (or in other words, "I will nuke my Christian faith" - if he had any in the first place. It is not uncommon for "wolves in sheep's clothing to pretend to be Christian in order to manipulate sweet, young, innocent female believers into a relationship with them, and then ruin them through sexual demands which they might find difficult to resist).

The girl here demonstrates great courage in giving the guy the bum's rush. Now, she might be in a better place to find a godly young man who will be decent to you and value her for her faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

Rachel Chong

Oct 2, 2017
Singapore
✟19,010.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He may indeed reject God's forgiveness for his soul, or he may finally someday accept it. Rejecting God's forgiveness for one's soul - when prompted by the Holy Spirit to accept it - is the unpardonable sin, but only when it is a lifelong rejection. And it's perfectly sensible to understand one cannot be forgiven for rejecting forgiveness. But don't fret about his soul in that way. God will see to it he is approached by His spirit in the way that gives him the best chance. You can pray for him with that hope in mind. What he does or says when the Spirit is not approaching him doesn't matter. Its not the words one way or another . . . its the actual rejection of the actual Spirit when the Spirit draws near.

Thank you for this information. I pray for him.

Reactions: Johnsloan
Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dear All,

In Christ,
Rachel

Your old boyfriend is ABSOLUTELY STUPID because He did blasphemy the Holy Spirit by saying that.
Because if he would curse the Holy Spirit for that or anything he is an idiot.
(matthew 12:31-32, mark 3:28-30, luke 12:8-10)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Dear All,

In Christ,
Rachel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Not knowing your idiot of an ex-boyfriend the way God does, I can't say if he indeed ever blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Like some of the others who have replied to you, I say the reference in Scripture to the matter seems pretty specific, and I say that anyone capable of it has never been saved to begin with.

I know of at least one person who seemed hopeless; contextually I am assuming she believed she had blasphemed the Holy Spirit, though she did not say so. I told her if she wants Christ, come to him. It is he that draws you, you have not lost him.

I don't think we have any idea of how serious God is about us nor how delighted he is in us, nor do we understand how foolishly we take ourselves seriously. If our 4 year old child screams in rage at us that they hate us, do we think that is the final word on the matter? Children don't know what they are talking about --they only know they are angry.. We are children, to God. We cannot see his perspective.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you have a scripture that ties these two thing together? Please don't say he offended the Holy Spirit because of this action he done. This act has got NOTHING to do with offending the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Do you have a scripture that ties these two thing together? Please don't say he offended the Holy Spirit because of this action he done. This act has got NOTHING to do with offending the Holy Ghost.
Pretty basic scripture really. Our Father, and Ten Commandments, and Jesus on the Cross asking God to forgive them for they know not what they do.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear All,

In Christ,
Rachel

Dumping him was the right thing to do! He probably did not even know what it means.

"Blaspheming the Holy Spirit" is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today.

The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees.

Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.
What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dumping him was the right thing to do! He probably did not even know what it means.

"Blaspheming the Holy Spirit" is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today.

Wonder if you would be so kind as to show us the scripture telling you this.

Just so we know that this in not just what you think it might mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wonder if you would be so kind as to show us the scripture telling you this.

Just so we know that this in not just what you think it might mean.

Mark 3:22-30...………..
"the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.” And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? no one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Jesus has just performed a miracle. A demon-possessed man was brought to Jesus, and the Lord cast the demon out, healing the man of blindness and muteness. The eyewitnesses to this exorcism began to wonder if Jesus was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. A group of Pharisees, hearing the talk of the Messiah, quickly quashed any budding faith in the crowd:...….
“It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons,”

Matthew 12:31...………
"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."

The term BLASPHEMY is generaly defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matt. 12:31.

Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 3:22-30...………..
"the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.” And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? no one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Jesus has just performed a miracle. A demon-possessed man was brought to Jesus, and the Lord cast the demon out, healing the man of blindness and muteness. The eyewitnesses to this exorcism began to wonder if Jesus was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. A group of Pharisees, hearing the talk of the Messiah, quickly quashed any budding faith in the crowd:...….
“It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons,”

Matthew 12:31...………
"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."

The term BLASPHEMY is generaly defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matt. 12:31.
We all know the scripture that warns against it. Its the scripture for YOUR definition I am looking for. Now you know what you said against the boy. I asked you to explain with scripture telling us what He done that is the same as Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

You are using scripture that has nothing to do with blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. There is NOTHING in your quotes that has any thing to do with the main subject.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
273198_b0cbd274e53ea7027f2658fa9df7f8aa.jpg

Mod Hat ON

We're closing for review here.
Mod Hat OFF

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0