Blaspheming the Holy Spirit was mentioned BEFORE the millstone, Jesus change his mind?

Jven79

Jun 23, 2018
Howell, NJ
✟11,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m new to the faith, please forgive me for not understanding this. How is it that Jesus says you can be forgiven all sin, yet when speaking about another sin he says it will be better for you to have a millstone around your neck and drownin the sea? Is he contradicting himself, or did he change his mind about what he said before?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I’m new to the faith, please forgive me for not understanding this. How is it that Jesus says you can be forgiven all sin, yet when speaking about another sin he says it will be better for you to have a millstone around your neck and drownin the sea? Is he contradicting himself, or did he change his mind about what he said before?
No worries as far as not understanding - not understanding is the standard condition of mankind/ men/ women/ and children worldwide.....

Upvote 0

KingdomLeast

Aug 6, 2018
INDIANAPOLIS
✟30,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you're mixing apples and oranges Here, Matthew 18:6 is speaking of stumbling one of the Lord's "little ones".

Upvote 0

Jven79

Jun 23, 2018
Howell, NJ
✟11,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is the Father's Plan and Purpose at the appropriate time for those who earned it.
I’m sorry I don’t understand. Can you break that down a little more for me (I apologize if I’m being a nuisance)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then why the millstone punishment
Jesus was speaking in the context of little children. He said, "If any offends any of these little ones, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he be cast into the sea."

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit reference was said about religious leaders who were accusing Jesus of casting out demons through the power of the devil. He made it clear that if anyone accuses the work of the Holy Spirit as being of the devil is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and while a person maintains that position, there is no forgiveness for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Simply, the men who receive the righteous perfect judgment that is worse than "a millstone around their neck and being thrown in the deepest ocean" (paraphrased?)
deserve their punishment.

I’m sorry I don’t understand. Can you break that down a little more for me (I apologize if I’m being a nuisance)

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was speaking in the context of little children. He said, "If any offends any of these little ones, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he be cast into the sea."

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit reference was said about religious leaders who were accusing Jesus of casting out demons through the power of the devil. He made it clear that if anyone accuses the work of the Holy Spirit as being of the devil is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and while a person maintains that position, there is no forgiveness for him.
https://robinhl.com/tag/judas-of-galilee/

In 6 CE Judas of Galilee captured and looted Sepphoris; the Romans defeated his army of Zealots and crucified 2,000 of them. Judas was thrown into the sea with a millstone round his neck...

This disastrous failure of an uprising happened when Jesus of Nazareth was 12, and had been to the Temple in Jerusalem with Joseph and Mary. Nazareth is only 4 miles from Sepphoris. We don’t hear anything about Joseph after this, and we don’t know what Jesus did for the next couple of decades. Regardless of Jesus’ or Joseph’s involvement in the rebellion, these were major and catastrophic events in Jesus’ formative years.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oscarr is right. "He made it clear that if anyone accuses the work of the Holy Spirit as being of the devil is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and while a person maintains that position, there is no forgiveness for him." However I have heard some preachers interpret this blasphemy as the rejection of Jesus Christ, that is the rejection that puts one in hell. I lean toward the latter interpretation, but try to be extremely careful of judging events and people. For instance, if one says tongues are of the devil. If the Holy Spirit is doing that, then you would be in a poor position to say the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Blaspheming HS can't be forgiven because it's rejection of the gospel . God can't force you to heaven because you have free will , he can't pay for unbelief . Salvation is free underserved gift Ephesians 2:8-9 , if you reject the gift you reject the Holy Spirit which is trying to seal you untill day of redemption Ephesians 1:13-14 thus you can't be forgiven .

Short story about the phariasies problem : Jesus was healing everybody , giving sight to blind , raising the dead ect proving thier own Scriptures which said he will do such things which phariasies had to even memorise before teaching them to others. Phariasies refused him to rule over them as the promised Messiah and called him the devil . Jesus called them the hypocrites ( you can't be hypocrite if you are deceived , they well know that Jesus was the Messiah ) and told them they will die in thier sins if they did not believe in him .

Upvote 0