Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What percentage of white owned would you say is necessary before you call it a white owned business?

Let's just say that blacks prefer to buy from other-than-black owned businesses.

When I went to get a loan, I went to the bank that gave me the best rate.

Personal loans and business loans are different. The bigger complaint by blacks is that investment capital is difficult to secure. If more blacks would support black owned banks this problem would be lessened.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let's just say that blacks prefer to buy from other-than-black owned businesses.
Are you saying all things being equal, black people would rather support a non black business? What do you base this on?
Personal loans and business loans are different.
I have had several business loans over the years.
The bigger complaint by blacks is that investment capital is difficult to secure. If more blacks would support black owned banks this problem would be lessened.
Are you suggesting black owned banks would be more willing to take on high risk customers as long as they are black? Perhaps this would explain the lack of black owned banks.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying all things being equal, black people would rather support a non black business? What do you base this on?

All things aren't equal. Black banks and businesses can't succeed without the support of the black consumer. And the black consumers needs must be met by those businesses.

Are you suggesting black owned banks would be more willing to take on high risk customers as long as they are black? Perhaps this would explain the lack of black owned banks

Basically blacks don't support either black owned banks or black owned businesses. There is a distrust and disdain for their own. This must be overcome in order for them to move forward. There is a deeper issue as well, that of viewing success by other blacks as somehow 'selling out' on their race.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All things aren't equal.
Why?
Black banks and businesses can't succeed without the support of the black consumer. And the black consumers needs must be met by those businesses.
I know of businesses owned by black people, and you would have no idea it is owned by black people by just looking at the business. Because few people know it is a black owned business, black people support that business for the same reason they support all the other businesses, because they put out a good product.
Basically blacks don't support either black owned banks or black owned businesses.
What do you base this on? Do you know of any black owned banks? Most of the black owned small business I know of have a higher percentage of black customers than white owned small business; thus your argument fails.
There is a distrust and disdain for their own. This must be overcome in order for them to move forward. There is a deeper issue as well, that of viewing success by other blacks as somehow 'selling out' on their race.
Now you’re being absurd!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why?

I know of businesses owned by black people, and you would have no idea it is owned by black people by just looking at the business. Because few people know it is a black owned business, black people support that business for the same reason they support all the other businesses, because they put out a good product.

What do you base this on? Do you know of any black owned banks? Most of the black owned small business I know of have a higher percentage of black customers than white owned small business; thus your argument fails.

Now you’re being absurd!

I reached these conclusions by studying the subject objectively. Of course there are exceptions but what I've presented is generally true.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I reached these conclusions by studying the subject objectively. Of course there are exceptions but what I've presented is generally true.
Can you provide an outside source that gives merit to some of these claims you've made? Or are you expecting me to just take your word on this stuff?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you provide an outside source that gives merit to some of these claims you've made? Or are you expecting me to just take your word on this stuff?

Tell me which assertion you disagree with and I'll try to provide my source material.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tell me which assertion you disagree with and I'll try to provide my source material.
If this is something that is widely published, if this is something you didn't just make up, you should be able to provide some of those widely published sources.... unless you really DID just make this up.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If this is something that is widely published, if this is something you didn't just make up, you should be able to provide some of those widely published sources.... unless you really DID just make this up.

I can. Which topic do you want source material for?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I can. Which topic do you want source material for?
You said:

"Basically blacks don't support either black owned banks or black owned businesses. There is a distrust and disdain for their own."

Those were your exact words. Please provide an outside source that supports this claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don’t think the links you provided did a very good job of supporting your claim. The first one about black banks mentioned black people getting ripped off 150 years ago shortly after slavery by banks and mistrusting them during that time, but they did not show in any way such distrust remained today.

The second one on black business showed that black people don’t support black business to the same extent that Asians support asian business, or Jews support Jewish business. They in no way showed that black people have disdain for black businesses not wanting them to succeed, and nowhere did they even hint that black people perceive successful black business as “selling out” as you claimed.
Care to try again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t think the links you provided did a very good job of supporting your claim. The first one about black banks mentioned black people getting ripped off 150 years ago shortly after slavery by banks and mistrusting them during that time, but they did not show in any way such distrust remained today.

The second one on black business showed that black people don’t support black business to the same extent that Asians support asian business, or Jews support Jewish business. They in no way showed that black people have disdain for black businesses not wanting them to succeed, and nowhere did they even hint that black people perceive successful black business as “selling out” as you claimed.
Care to try again?

I researched dozens of similar sites, on a wide variety of topics relating to the black condition in America, this in response to the complaints, and agenda, put forth by the Black Lives Matter movement. What I found is what I suspected, that racism accounts for but a small part of these problems, most being the nature, culture, and attitudes of blacks themselves. Problems that only they can cure. Of course you are free to disagree. I won't try to change your mind.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I researched dozens of similar sites, on a wide variety of topics relating to the black condition in America, this in response to the complaints, and agenda, put forth by the Black Lives Matter movement. What I found is what I suspected, that racism accounts for but a small part of these problems, most being the nature, culture, and attitudes of blacks themselves. Problems that only they can cure. Of course you are free to disagree. I won't try to change your mind.
What you just said has nothing to do with what I disagreed with; my disagreement was based on your claim that black people have disdain for black business. Do you still hold that position? Do you have anything that supports that position?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What you just said has nothing to do with what I disagreed with; my disagreement was based on your claim that black people have disdain for black business. Do you still hold that position? Do you have anything that supports that position?

This man explains it pretty well.

Blacks are encouraged to support black businesses from many quarters, which of course reveals that they don't and that it is a serious problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Blacks are encouraged to support black businesses from many quarters, which of course reveals that they don't and that it is a serious problem.
That is a bit different than what you were suggesting. I personally knew of 2 black business that you wouldn’t know was black owned; one was a McDonalds the other was a Denny’s restaurant. They were both located in an area of town with few black people so most of the employees as well as the customers were white, but they were treated like any other restaurant. Eventually one of the black churches in the minority community mentioned those specific restaurants as black owned business, which resulted in black people leaving their neighborhoods just to go to these restaurants because they wanted to support a black business. Could they have survived without black patrons? They were doing just fine before anybody knew the owner was black, but once black people found out who the owner was, I’m sure it helped not hurt them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is a bit different than what you were suggesting. I personally knew of 2 black business that you wouldn’t know was black owned; one was a McDonalds the other was a Denny’s restaurant. They were both located in an area of town with few black people so most of the employees as well as the customers were white, but they were treated like any other restaurant. Eventually one of the black churches in the minority community mentioned those specific restaurants as black owned business, which resulted in black people leaving their neighborhoods just to go to these restaurants because they wanted to support a black business. Could they have survived without black patrons? They were doing just fine before anybody knew the owner was black, but once black people found out who the owner was, I’m sure it helped not hurt them.

Here's another perspective, from a black businesswoman's point of view.

This from a black businessman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

He has the idea that successful black business bring money and power to the community; but the successful black business men I know of don’t live in the black community because most of those communities are violent, drug infested, high crime communities and nobody wants to live in a dangerous neighborhood; everybody wants to live in a nice house in a safe neighborhood, even black folks.

I do agree with him when he says many black people will open their business outside the black neighborhood, but this is not about self hate, it is about economics! If black neighborhoods were a good investment, white folks would be investing there too! (when they do we call it gentrification)

Imagine someone going to a banker with a business plan to open up a business in a community that was burned down during the Trayvon Martin riots, then again during the Michael Brown riots, then again during the Eric Garner riots, then just recently during the George Floyd riots; are you going to approve of this business plan just to see it go up in smoke the next time some cop 2000 miles away kills a black man? I wouldn’t would you?

The first thing needed to be done to improve the black neighborhood and attract business is to make them safe. This means getting rid of the drug dealers, the gangs, and other such criminal behavior, (you know; stuff nobody wants to talk about) only then will black people with money be willing to invest and live in such neighborhoods IMO

• Winner
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He has the idea that successful black business bring money and power to the community; but the successful black business men I know of don’t live in the black community because most of those communities are violent, drug infested, high crime communities and nobody wants to live in a dangerous neighborhood; everybody wants to live in a nice house in a safe neighborhood, even black folks.

I do agree with him when he says many black people will open their business outside the black neighborhood, but this is not about self hate, it is about economics! If black neighborhoods were a good investment, white folks would be investing there too! (when they do we call it gentrification)

Imagine someone going to a banker with a business plan to open up a business in a community that was burned down during the Trayvon Martin riots, then again during the Michael Brown riots, then again during the Eric Garner riots, then just recently during the George Floyd riots; are you going to approve of this business plan just to see it go up in smoke the next time some cop 2000 miles away kills a black man? I wouldn’t would you?

The first thing needed to be done to improve the black neighborhood and attract business is to make them safe. This means getting rid of the drug dealers, the gangs, and other such criminal behavior, (you know; stuff nobody wants to talk about) only then will black people with money be willing to invest and live in such neighborhoods IMO

Not so easily done as the black community seems to be obligated to come to the defense of their criminals. Curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0