Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been shared yet.
Inside the GM plant where nooses and 'whites-only' signs intimidated workers - CNN

We can all agree this is pretty bad right?

Like, this seems pretty just, straight up awful.

And these problems are top to bottom in that system; even the union totally mishandled it as far as I'm concerned.

It's not that their sensitive, it's that you shouldn't be saying that garbage to begin with.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When did that take place?

"Whites Only" was all over the South when I was a child. Department stores had separate drinking fountains for white and black people. Schools were segregated in the North and South.

In Medieval Europe in exchange for working on the Lords land, peasants were given small plots of land for themselves and their family . There were three classes with the clergy, nobility and the serfs.

In 1080 William the Conqueror prohibited the sale of any person to "heathens" (non-Christians) as slaves!

In 1493 Queen Isabella banned the enslavement of Native Americans unless they are hostile or cannibalistic.[25]Native Americans are ruled to be subjects of the Crown. Columbus is preempted from selling Indian captives in Seville and those already sold are tracked, purchased from their buyers and released.
Timeline of abolition of slavery and serfdom - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Phoebe Ann ...

“When did that take place?”

... from the article:

“In Ohio.
In 2018.”

Well, 2017. And there weren't any "signs" as such, but somebody had scribbled "Whites Only" on some restroom walls, and five times a noose was found by someone's work area. An ongoing lawsuit claims that GM didn't do enough to stop it.

e8cf55e4-6fa5-49c0-bcde-6a5a4253a363-whitesonly.jpg

d9646436-996e-40db-a020-9d15d58349cc-noose.jpg

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,615.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When did that take place?

"Whites Only" was all over the South when I was a child. Department stores had separate drinking fountains for white and black people. Schools were segregated in the North and South.

In Medieval Europe in exchange for working on the Lords land, peasants were given small plots of land for themselves and their family . There were three classes with the clergy, nobility and the serfs.

In 1080 William the Conqueror prohibited the sale of any person to "heathens" (non-Christians) as slaves!

In 1493 Queen Isabella banned the enslavement of Native Americans unless they are hostile or cannibalistic.[25]Native Americans are ruled to be subjects of the Crown. Columbus is preempted from selling Indian captives in Seville and those already sold are tracked, purchased from their buyers and released.
Timeline of abolition of slavery and serfdom - Wikipedia
Well we really hope that "Making America Great Again" does not mean a return again to this treatment of human beings.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, 2017. And there weren't any "signs" as such, but somebody had scribbled "Whites Only" on some restroom walls

It does impress me that the geniuses who wrote this were able to make a grammar mistake in a two word phrase, though. Kinda an indication of the level we're dealing with with white supremacists like them.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does impress me that the geniuses who wrote this were able to make a grammar mistake in a two word phrase, though. Kinda an indication of the level we're dealing with with white supremacists like them.
Should give all the employees a quick exam:

(said aloud) Please write the following phrase: "Chelsea's job is creating CDs. The CDs get sold to distributors. The distributors' bills are paid monthly"

Should narrow down the list of suspects.

• Haha
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Inside the GM plant where nooses and 'whites-only' signs intimidated workers - CNN

And these problems are top to bottom in that system; even the union totally mishandled it as far as I'm concerned.

It's not that their sensitive, it's that you shouldn't be saying that garbage to begin with.

Pretty awful...and it looks like the behavior was emboldened by the belief that they wouldn't be fired/punished for it.

Personally, I've always felt that you can't properly manage/supervise anyone unless you can discipline/fire them. At the end of the day, you have to have a means of removing problematic people.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought the same thing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You're asking for too much.

morans.jpg

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Pretty awful...and it looks like the behavior was emboldened by the belief that they wouldn't be fired/punished for it.

Personally, I've always felt that you can't properly manage/supervise anyone unless you can discipline/fire them. At the end of the day, you have to have a means of removing problematic people.

This is a common mistake employers make all the time.

Managers and Supervisors need actual real tangible quantifiable power. Any manager or supervisor at any level should be able to discipline, suspend, and or fire anyone that is underneath them and that they are in charge of.

Otherwise, they are NOT a manager or supervisor.

It is a serious strategic mistake to give employees responsibility without giving them the power to back up that responsibility.

I see this mistake all that time across a wide range of professions

Wow, if even a fraction of this is true, GM is going to lose some serious money and "potentially" lose some stock value

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

What was disappointing to me is not just that the union was not protecting their workers from mistreatment but HOW they chose to express it.

What you just expressed in regards to management has made teaching an increasingly difficult profession Ana

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well we really hope that "Making America Great Again" does not mean a return again to this treatment of human beings.

If it did, Republicans and Democrats would both be angry! Only ignorant people want to mistreat people based on skin color!

Stop racism.jpg skin covers humans.jpg

"Love one another as I have loved you."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a common mistake employers make all the time.

Managers and Supervisors need actual real tangible quantifiable power. Any manager or supervisor at any level should be able to discipline, suspend, and or fire anyone that is underneath them and that they are in charge of.

If I understand it correctly, the black men being targeted were (middle-level) managers, who were in some kind of dispute with the workers under them (involving things like vacation leave being denied). Any of those workers could have been responsible.

The union has clearly been backing the workers. Upper GM management initially seems to have taken the attitude "you're the boss, deal with it." That may reflect the fact that the black men being targeted had had supervisory roles in the military, and were assumed to have good people management skills. The courts have already expressed a negative judgement of GM's initial response.

The obvious solution is to bring in some new brooms at middle-level management level, but of course firing a victim of racism isn't an allowable option.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If I understand it correctly, the black men being targeted were (middle-level) managers, who were in some kind of dispute with the workers under them (involving things like vacation leave being denied). Any of those workers could have been responsible.

The union has clearly been backing the workers. Upper GM management initially seems to have taken the attitude "you're the boss, deal with it." That may reflect the fact that the black men being targeted had had supervisory roles in the military, and were assumed to have good people management skills. The courts have already expressed a negative judgement of GM's initial response.

The obvious solution is to bring in some new brooms at middle-level management level, but of course firing a victim of racism isn't an allowable option.
There were direct verbal threats and racist talk directed at them and a constant air of threat about it. I'm not sure one would feel safe terminating someone who has already threatened you.
I don't think they are working there anymore. But the report did say that other minority employees were having issues but refused to talk to them for fear of safety.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There were direct verbal threats

On checking, it seems that there's further racist retaliation against black workers who sided with the original complaint.

There have been no "direct verbal threats," as far as I can tell. If that occurred, GM could quite easily sack the person responsible. There seem to have been several anonymous notes, in different handwriting, but no images of those have hit the Internet that I can find.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
....That may reflect the fact that the black men being targeted had had supervisory roles in the military, and were assumed to have good people management skills. The courts have already expressed a negative judgement of GM's initial response.

Good people management skills can only go so far-- Especially in the context of a hostile work environment where negative actions or condoned by upper management.

from what i've read, It doesn't seem like the middle managers' fault in the least so I'm not sure how firing them solves the problem???

I have a lot of experience in these sorts of matters and it is a reflection of the leadership there at the top level. The workplace really does take it cues from the leadership and toxic environments like this don't happen overnight in a vacuum.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
from what i've read, It doesn't seem like the middle managers' fault in the least

If a middle manager is hated by all his subordinates, there's often some reason to it. Very few of the facts of this case are out in public, but it has been reported that the middle managers denied some of the workers vacation leave that they were entitled to. That suggests that there's more going on here than just racism. And it's not like these were the first black middle managers that GM hired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0