✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Blackness Has Become A Commodity

“Blackness was once considered a curse, now it’s considered a commodity.

Just as intellectuals from decades and centuries ago created white supremacy to label black skin a curse, many intellectuals today have created critical race theory to label black skin a commodity.

For that reason, blackness has become one of the most valuable items on the market. Increasingly, some white people—particularly white people who embrace critical race theory—seemingly yearn to become allies with or members of the supposed Black American community.”

Seems to be the case only in the realm of social justice activists. You don't want to be perceived as being part of the privileged classes when you're "fighting the good fight". Not sure it translates to everywhere else. I'm sure that in predominantly black neighbourhoods your blackness isn't going to get you any benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I see. So the more likely you are to be discriminated against the better?
And there’s the rub. It doesn’t deal with actual discrimination, but potential. And the more the potential, the more weight your voice should carry.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And there’s the rub. It doesn’t deal with actual discrimination, but potential. And the more the potential, the more weight your voice should carry.

More weight your voice should carry with whom and in what circumstance?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Why what? Why does it seem reasonable to me that someone who has more experience with a subject matter should have more attention paid to them? Because they are more experienced on the subject they are speaking about. Should we not pay more attention to people who have more knowledge on a subject?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why what? Why does it seem reasonable to me that someone who has more experience with a subject matter should have more attention paid to them? Because they are more experienced on the subject they are speaking about. Should we not pay more attention to people who have more knowledge on a subject?
There’s that assumption again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If I am going to be required to ask you to explain yourself with every response we might as well stop now. I do not feel the need to drag every piece of information from you.
You are correct. My apologies.

The assumption is that all people in any particular group are the same. And if they are the same, they must have the same experiences and the see the same problems, and thus have the same solutions. This is not true, though. I don’t see why I should listen to a black man from the ghetto discuss so-called racial issues just because he’s a black man from the ghetto and I’m a white man from rural America. The truth is truth regardless of who says it.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You are correct. My apologies.

Thank you. I appreciate it. :)

The assumption is that all people in any particular group are the same. And if they are the same, they must have the same experiences and the see the same problems, and thus have the same solutions. This is not true, though. I don’t see why I should listen to a black man from the ghetto discuss so-called racial issues just because he’s a black man from the ghetto and I’m a white man from rural America. The truth is truth regardless of who says it.

I do not see that as the assumption. The only assumption I see is that people whom are more likely to have been the target of discrimination are more likely to have pertinent information on what it is like to be discriminated against. How is this not a valid theory? Truth may be truth but no single human has truth in their back pocket. For us mere mortals to approach truth we must search for it and while that includes all voices it those with inside knowledge are going to be valuable.

Would you not say that you as a Christian are more likely to have useful insights on theism than an atheist such as myself?

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I do not see that as the assumption. The only assumption I see is that people whom are more likely to have been the target of discrimination are more likely to have pertinent information on what it is like to be discriminated against. How is this not a valid theory? Truth may be truth but no single human has truth in their back pocket. For us mere mortals to approach truth we must search for it and while that includes all voices it those with inside knowledge are going to be valuable.
What if you are called a racist because you are white?

Would you not say that you as a Christian are more likely to have useful insights on theism than an atheist such as myself?
Me being a Christian has nothing to do with my skin color, sexual preference, gender, etc. We can’t compare being black to being a postman.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I do not see that as the assumption. The only assumption I see is that people whom are more likely to have been the target of discrimination are more likely to have pertinent information on what it is like to be discriminated against. How is this not a valid theory?
Just because I am black and you are white does not mean I am more likely to be discriminated against than you; it all depends on where you are at. Just as a white person may not be in a position to say if a black person is discriminated against or not, a black person is not in a position to say if a white person is discriminated or not; that's why all views must be backed up with something other than their word; otherwise they may not be taken seriously. That's why all views should be given equal credibility regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, ethnicity, etc. etc.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What if you are called a racist because you are white?

What if I am? I fail to see how someone being wrong about me invalidates the idea that those more likely to be discriminated against are going to have more knowledge of it in general.

Me being a Christian has nothing to do with my skin color, sexual preference, gender, etc. We can’t compare being black to being a postman.

It amply demonstrates the point I am trying to make. Those who are more likely to have knowledge in a subject are the ones we should pay more attention to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Just because I am black and you are white does not mean I am more likely to be discriminated against than you; it all depends on where you are at. Just as a white person may not be in a position to say if a black person is discriminated against or not, a black person is not in a position to say if a white person is discriminated or not; that's why all views must be backed up with something other than their word; otherwise they may not be taken seriously. That's why all views should be given equal credibility regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, ethnicity, etc. etc.

It does indeed depend on where you are located. If you are located in the US you are statistically more likely to be discriminated against.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What if I am? I fail to see how someone being wrong about me invalidates the idea that those more likely to be discriminated against are going to have more knowledge of it in general.
Intersectionality, though, would give more weight to the accusation if given by a black lesbian with one leg. And give less weight to your defense because you’re white.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It does indeed depend on where you are located. If you are located in the US you are statistically more likely to be discriminated against.
Are you familiar with the caste system in India?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I can name lots of Cities in the US where you are more likely to be discriminated against if you are white than if you are black. I'm sure you can do the opposite. Even in the US; it all depends on where you are at.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,277.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Intersectionality, though, would give more weight to the accusation if given by a black lesbian with one leg. And give less weight to your defense because you’re white.

I did not get that from reading the link on it. I don't think that is how it works.

Upvote 0