Black fathers are failing black communities.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Our Fathers, Our Failures

“It takes courage to admit that Black fathers are failing their wives and children. It takes courage to admit that the most oppressive people to Black people today are Black fathers, like my father.

Admitting that won’t earn you cheap applause from people who seem more apt to blame White people than save Black children. But that courage will rescue many Black children from our fathers, and from our failures.”

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There has to be a determined resolve not to perpetuate bad behaviors. That starts with the woman's refusal to place herself in harms way. The handwriting is clear. You can't follow the same recipe and expect a different end.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

“It takes courage to admit that Black fathers are failing their wives and children. It takes courage to admit that the most oppressive people to Black people today are Black fathers, like my father.

Admitting that won’t earn you cheap applause from people who seem more apt to blame White people than save Black children. But that courage will rescue many Black children from our fathers, and from our failures.”

On the other side of the coin, we can appreciate failure in our society as it keeps the perfect ones from becoming radically perfect. Because perfection has it's own flaws.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
On the other side of the coin, we can appreciate failure in our society as it keeps the perfect ones from becoming radically perfect. Because perfection has it's own flaws.
Huh???

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In America, 73% of Black children are born to unmarried Black women, compared to only 29% of White children born to White women. Considering that children raised in single-parent households are much more likely to develop behavioural, sexual, and educational challenges that harm their futures, it’s unsurprising that given the 44% gap between the number of Black children and White children born to unmarried women–there exists similar gaps between Black Americans and White Americans economically and within the criminal justice system.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

This is a big issue within the black community and is addressed with great importance. Responsibility needs to be dealt with on a personal level when such sin is committed. But to act as if systemic racism doesn’t contribute to this is naive. Men and women who contribute to this oppression over the years need to take responsibility for their sin as well. Even you all who pretend it doesn’t happen. Being passive is cowardness. But I’m sure you won’t throw up an article about the personal sins of white leaders and laymen who contribute and has contributed to this oppression will you? They have a responsibility as well

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
To act as if systemic racism doesn’t contribute to this is naive.

Lets take it to the beginning to resolve the issue then.

What are the systemic influences you are speaking of?

If we are not aware of these systemic issues how then can they be responsibly addressed?

• Informative
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There has to be a determined resolve not to perpetuate bad behaviors. That starts with the woman's refusal to place herself in harms way. The handwriting is clear. You can't follow the same recipe and expect a different end.

~Bella

Many young black women deliberately place themselves in harm's way, thus perpetuating that problem. They see having children out of wedlock as their only 'way forward'.

Girls will be girls - and deliberately become pregnant

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many young black women deliberately place themselves in harm's way, thus perpetuating that problem. They see having children out of wedlock as their only 'way forward'.

The stigma of illegitimacy isn't prevalent in the measure it was in the past. Its incumbent on the parent to reiterate the consequences of doing so and the inappropriateness of taking that path.

I used to tell my daughter it was forbidden in her youth. In her teens I reminded her of the responsibilities she'd incur if she did it. In her twenties I advised her not to hinder her future by poor alliances. It's ingrained to the point where it isn't an option or worth the risk.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The stigma of illegitimacy isn't prevalent in the measure it was in the past. Its incumbent on the parent to reiterate the consequences of doing so and the inappropriateness of taking that path.

I used to tell my daughter it was forbidden in her youth. In her teens I reminded her of the responsibilities she'd incur if she did it. In her twenties I advised her not to hinder her future by poor alliances. It's ingrained to the point where it isn't an option or worth the risk.

~Bella

The stigma may have diminished but the results are the same.

Kudos for your responsible parenting. :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The stigma may have diminished but the results are the same.

Kudos for your responsible parenting. :oldthumbsup:

Continual cycles of poverty and self-destruction have spiritual roots. You have to address the practical and spiritual ends.

I'm legacy minded and understand the domino effect. You have to mold and prune to have a healthy line. That means developing an ethos that's God centered and nurturing a sense of duty and familial pride in your loved ones. They must see their behavior as contributory and realize its impact on the whole.

~Bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. In today's world unfortunately its always someone else's fault. Growing up I was always taught that everything that happened was because of my actions and it was my job to make it right. I was never allowed to blame others.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. In today's world unfortunately its always someone else's fault. Growing up I was always taught that everything that happened was because of my actions and it was my job to make it right. I was never allowed to blame others.

I remember the blame game. Talk shows were notorious for playing it up. The child comes on with a tell-all that made Mommy Dearest look nice! It was awful. Now the parent is crying and the kid's in charge. They're calling the shots.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My grandmother would say to me, "Well if you hadn't been where you shouldn't have been this wouldn't have happened to you" (as she thumped me on the head with her thimble.) :grimacing:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
My parents told us if we were arrested don't call. They reasoned if we were behaving as we should we wouldn't be in trouble. They said save the quarter!

~Bella
My mom raised me with that same statement.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The stigma of illegitimacy isn't prevalent in the measure it was in the past.

That stigma is prevalent today because Society has moved further and further away from God, the Moral fabric of our Society is in tatters because of it.

"The Hand That Rocks the Cradle Is the Hand That Rules the World" is a poem by William Ross Wallace that praises motherhood as the preeminent force for change in the world. The poem was first published in 1865

I have always seen this statement as the point at which crime of all sorts can be stopped, or at least slowed down to a crawl, but it would appear as though women do not know the Power and Authority they wield in the formative years of their children.

one example.

All crimes against women could be curtailed if the mothers of the boys would teach them that it is not acceptable for such behavior.

Pro. 22:6
Train up a child in the way HE should go: and when HE is old, HE will not depart from it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a big issue within the black community and is addressed with great importance. Responsibility needs to be dealt with on a personal level when such sin is committed. But to act as if systemic racism doesn’t contribute to this is naive. Men and women who contribute to this oppression over the years need to take responsibility for their sin as well. Even you all who pretend it doesn’t happen. Being passive is cowardness. But I’m sure you won’t throw up an article about the personal sins of white leaders and laymen who contribute and has contributed to this oppression will you? They have a responsibility as well

My very liberal daughter and I sometimes have this conversation. When I ask her what I'm personally supposed to do about it she tells me to at least have empathy towards them. I tell her that, not being black, I can't walk in their shoes. The best I can do is make recommendations for beneficial behavioral changes.

Upvote 0