Black farmers were deliberately sold ‘fake seeds’ in scheme to steal their land: report

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟604,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Black farmers in the Mid-South region surrounding Memphis used science to uncover a multi-million scheme to put them out of business and steal their farmland, WMC News reported Tuesday.

At the Mid-South Farm and Gin Show show in March of 2017, African-American farmers believe that Stine Seed Company purposefully sold them fake seeds.

Thomas Burrell, president of the Black Farmers and Agriculturalists Association, explained how black farmers were receiving one-tenth of the yield as their white neighbors.

“Mother nature doesn’t discriminate,” Burrell said. “It doesn’t rain on white farms but not black farms. Insects don’t [only] attack black farmers’ land…why is it then that white farmers are buying Stine seed and their yield is 60, 70, 80, and 100 bushels of soybeans and black farmers who are using the exact same equipment with the exact same land, all of a sudden, your seeds are coming up 5, 6, and 7 bushels?”

The results were so stark, resulting in millions of dollars in losses, the farmers took their seeds for scientific testing by experts at Mississippi State University.

Read the rest @ https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/bl...ely-sold-fake-seeds-scheme-steal-land-report/

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
ALL the farmers are being robbed. Possibly all of them everywhere.

Far worse than just one race.

All the people , especially the poor, are being oppressed also...

by a PRACTICE SIMILAR to fake seeds ------- I don't know what it is called,
but it became known years ago, and there's almost NOTHING anyone can do about this

since the devil has serious control over so much....

seeds that grow plants that will not reproduce/ propagate/ cannot be used for the next planting !

Thus requiring the stricken farmers, of any race, creed or color,
to buy all new seeds for all they want to grow again,

when , as God Created them, for 6000 years, the plants USED TO BE
ongoing re-seedable (or whatever the term is) ....

farmers did not have to buy seed every year , no,
their crops/ plants were ALIVE
and they
could just use each years crops to seed the next year,

until the devil stepped in, (allowed by voters, btw) .....

and plants that will not reproduce were created.... and almost exclusively what the farmers were able to get....

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like they do have a really good case to do so. Hopefully they can match high powered lawyers as the huge seed companies undoubtedly have, and deep pockets.

I was confused at first with the description "fake seeds". I doubt that any farmer would not know what an actual seed looked like. But I can see if it were intentionally poor seed.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Black farmers in the Mid-South region surrounding Memphis used science to uncover a multi-million scheme to put them out of business and steal their farmland, WMC News reported Tuesday.

At the Mid-South Farm and Gin Show show in March of 2017, African-American farmers believe that Stine Seed Company purposefully sold them fake seeds.

Thomas Burrell, president of the Black Farmers and Agriculturalists Association, explained how black farmers were receiving one-tenth of the yield as their white neighbors.

“Mother nature doesn’t discriminate,” Burrell said. “It doesn’t rain on white farms but not black farms. Insects don’t [only] attack black farmers’ land…why is it then that white farmers are buying Stine seed and their yield is 60, 70, 80, and 100 bushels of soybeans and black farmers who are using the exact same equipment with the exact same land, all of a sudden, your seeds are coming up 5, 6, and 7 bushels?”

The results were so stark, resulting in millions of dollars in losses, the farmers took their seeds for scientific testing by experts at Mississippi State University.

Read the rest @ https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/bl...ely-sold-fake-seeds-scheme-steal-land-report/
The farmers should be reimbursed for their loses.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry. I'm easily enraged to max level when it comes to corruption in farming. I would declare war on Monsanto and utterly destroy their business. I would set free the seeds from genetic modification and create a world bank of organic non GMO seeds. I would make it free for everyone as a service to them. The seeds are our life.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry. I'm easily enraged to max level when it comes to corruption in farming. I would declare war on Monsanto and utterly destroy their business.

Why?

I would set free the seeds from genetic modification and create a world bank of organic non GMO seeds.

Are you going to volunteer to be among the billions to starve or are you expecting others to do the dying?

I would make it free for everyone as a service to them. The seeds are our life.

...or just the less productive predeceases of current strains.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

To be fair, Monsanto is a pretty dirty player (although we can argue on whether they're just a dirty player by choice or if enforcement on them has been overly lax).

I agree about GMO, though. Unnecessary mass starvation doesn't sound like a good thing. I know, I'm such a radical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, Monsanto is a pretty dirty player (although we can argue on whether they're just a dirty player by choice or if enforcement on them has been overly lax).

I will grant that they seem to be a less then wonderful company but have a hard time straining their real malfeasance out of the hysterical rantings of their opponents who would oppose their work even if they were perfectly ethical in its pursuit.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The farmers should be reimbursed for their loses.

These farmers had poor crop yields, and, in their words, “something aint right!” They allege that a distributor sold them a different kind of seed than the one they paid for.

They've filed a lawsuit against the seed company that makes the seed that they thought they were buying. The seed company says it did nothing wrong.

It seems to me that the farmers have no evidence that anybody did anything wrong. In particular, they didn't get anyone to genetically test their seeds. I don't think they have much chance of winning in court.

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
These farmers had poor crop yields, and, in their words, “something aint right!” They allege that a distributor sold them a different kind of seed than the one they paid for.

They've filed a lawsuit against the seed company that makes the seed that they thought they were buying. The seed company says it did nothing wrong.

It seems to me that the farmers have no evidence that anybody did anything wrong. In particular, they didn't get anyone to genetically test their seeds. I don't think they have much chance of winning in court.

The tests revealed the black farmers had not been given the quality “certified” Stine seeds for which they had paid....

Sounds like evidence to me.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like evidence to me.

Well, the fact that the farmers lost money is not evidence of anything.

And when you read about the details of the "tests" that were done at Mississippi State University, they were not evidence of anything either.

I've read the actual lawsuit, and there really isn't much substance to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums