Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Your comments are largely valid. As I said blacks are in their 'honeymoon' period subsequent to the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960's. They are enjoying their newfound opportunities, and a modicum of wealth, and have not begun to seriously consider the need for 'black capital formation', capital that whites have built and had access to for generations (and are reluctant to loan to blacks).

The problem is that many don't understand this. Many middle and upper class black leaders have been encouraging this many years, but it largely falls on deaf ears. Based on the $1.4 Trillion annual black buying power capital formation through saving and investment is certainly within reach, capital that would improve black lives in the areas of education, employment, and housing.

It also builds social and political capital, much needed by the black community. Generational wealth cannot be built through protests, reparations, or movements like BLM. It requires vision, investment, hard work, and sacrifice.
And you're still reducing this to some problem only black people are suffering from rather than something that is resultant from America as a whole being complacent and thinking things are fine with no regard to any kind of future planning. Also, have you considered maybe not every black person isn't trying, but isn't getting the same opportunities as white people?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you're still reducing this to some problem only black people are suffering from rather than something that is resultant from America as a whole being complacent and thinking things are fine with no regard to any kind of future planning. Also, have you considered maybe not every black person isn't trying, but isn't getting the same opportunities as white people?

Of course. White people have been at it much longer, thus more and better opportunities.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Of course. White people have been at it much longer, thus more and better opportunities.
But also potentially resting on our laurels and thinking we don't have to work as hard. Familiarity breeds contempt, as the saying goes

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But also potentially resting on our laurels and thinking we don't have to work as hard. Familiarity breeds contempt, as the saying goes

At a certain point we shouldn't have to work as hard. We work hard for our money, then our money works hard for us. That's a natural result of a well planned life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
At a certain point we shouldn't have to work as hard. We work hard for our money, then our money works hard for us. That's a natural result of a well planned life.
This assumes everyone can just deal with things the same as those that were always privileged, again, your perspective seems horribly skewed to just assume everyone is able to just deal based on what you think as "normal"

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This assumes everyone can just deal with things the same as those that were always privileged, again, your perspective seems horribly skewed to just assume everyone is able to just deal based on what you think as "normal"

I said natural, not normal.

Why can't everyone deal with things in a productive way? Let me answer this. It is because they haven't been educated to believe it is possible. And if they were they have rejected it out of hand. Success in America is so easy that our poor might be the laughing stock of the rest of the world. The poor from all over the world come here and succeed, while our own poor, who have the same, or better, opportunities, languish. Ironic.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I said natural, not normal.

Why can't everyone deal with things in a productive way? Let me answer this. It is because they haven't been educated to believe it is possible. And if they were they have rejected it out of hand. Success in America is so easy that our poor might be the laughing stock of the rest of the world. The poor from all over the world come here and succeed, while our own poor, who have the same, or better, opportunities, languish. Ironic.
Oh, because there's totally not any favoritism towards corporate lobbyists and special interests and thus biasing and disenfranchising those that don't have that privilege.

When people are fed the idea that something is easy, but not actually given the information, it's not shocking the failure occurs. I don't see any efforts to educate, just bootstraps mentality that everyone else is the only one responsible for their success or failure.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, because there's totally not any favoritism towards corporate lobbyists and special interests and thus biasing and disenfranchising those that don't have that privilege.

No one is disenfranchised. Big money trickles down even to the little guy.

When people are fed the idea that something is easy, but not actually given the information, it's not shocking the failure occurs. I don't see any efforts to educate, just bootstraps mentality that everyone else is the only one responsible for their success or failure.

The plan is simple, the task isn't difficult. Like Trump said, "What have you got to lose?"

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
No one is disenfranchised. Big money trickles down even to the little guy.

The plan is simple, the task isn't difficult. Like Trump said, "What have you got to lose?"
And you've basically bought into the lie that trickle down economics works in any meaningful way when the rich can get out of paying their fair share of taxes by loopholes anti trust laws could actually address in one form or another

Oh yeah, I should totally believe the words of someone who's had not only failed businesses but ethically questionable if not outright deceptive practices of not properly paying many contractors for work he commissioned, sometimes bankrupting them in the process while he takes no losses because he games the broken system.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you've basically bought into the lie that trickle down economics works in any meaningful way when the rich can get out of paying their fair share of taxes by loopholes anti trust laws could actually address in one form or another

My first 'corporate' job was a carry out boy/stock clerk at the giant Kroger Company while in high school. After graduation I went full time and later had the opportunity for an apprenticeship in the meat department as a meat cutter. I loved that job and made very good money as a journeyman. So 'trickle down' certainly worked for me. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums