Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A recent papal statement seems to open the door to Holy Communion for pro-abortion politicians such as Nancy Pelosi

(LifeSiteNews) — Four bishops, several priests, and numerous Catholic scholars have signed a statement rebuking Pope Francis for a recent statement about the reception of Holy Communion, according to which “everyone is invited to the supper of the wedding of the Lamb (Re 19:9). To be admitted to the feast all that is required is the wedding garment of faith which comes from the hearing of his Word.” The Pope wrote these words in his June 29 Apostolic Letter on the liturgy, Desiderio desideravi, but for the signatories of this new statement (see full text below), he omitted the “essential topic of repentance for sin for the worthy reception of the Eucharist.”

Therefore, the papal words about the “garment of faith” as the only requirement for the reception of Holy Communion, “contradict[] the faith of the Catholic Church,” as the authors wrote. They explain:

The Catholic Church has always taught that in order to receive the Holy Eucharist worthily and without sin, Catholics must receive sacramental absolution, if possible, for any mortal sins they may have committed and obey all other laws of the Church concerning reception of the Eucharist (as, for example, the laws concerning fasting prior to reception of the Eucharist).

If a sacramental confession is not possible, but the reception of Holy Communion urgent (such as for a priest celebrating Mass), the Sacrament of Penance has to be sought as soon as possible afterwards, and the penitent must have perfect contrition for his mortal sins. By extensively quoting from the Council of Trent’s documents, the signatories also make it clear that such teachings as presented in Pope Francis’ document have already been condemned as heresy. “The claim,” they write, “that faith is the only requirement for worthy reception of the Holy Eucharist was condemned by the Council of Trent as a heresy.”

Continued below.
Bishops, priests and scholars correct Pope Francis’ statement on Holy Communion - LifeSite

Reactions: Joined2krist

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's what I don't understand in light of this: Why even bother having a pope if bishops and priests are going to be contradicting him? I thought that bishops and priests had to go along with whatever a pope says about this sort of thing.

Of course, I have very little faith in Pope Francis because I believe that he was installed by the Obama-Soros axis because he's a L-L-L-Liberal, and I think it's really only a matter of time before he "reforms" the church to the point where I'm not going to recognize it anymore and am going to be going to an SSPX chapel or just becoming Orthodox. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with how the US govt already leans on Rome, I feel like we're going to start seeing woke "inclusive" popes and that the church is going to start sanctioning things that God literally hates. I feel like I'll see this by the end of my lifetime.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Here's what I don't understand in light of this: Why even bother having a pope if bishops and priests are going to be contradicting him? I thought that bishops and priests had to go along with whatever a pope says about this sort of thing.

Of course, I have very little faith in Pope Francis because I believe that he was installed by the Obama-Soros axis because he's a L-L-L-Liberal, and I think it's really only a matter of time before he "reforms" the church to the point where I'm not going to recognize it anymore and am going to be going to an SSPX chapel or just becoming Orthodox. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with how the US govt already leans on Rome, I feel like we're going to start seeing woke "inclusive" popes and that the church is going to start sanctioning things that God literally hates. I feel like I'll see this by the end of my lifetime.
Imagine the Vicar of Christ needing correction on the Body and Blood of Christ. It just doesn't make sense about this Pope.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Imagine the Vicar of Christ needing correction on the Body and Blood of Christ. It just doesn't make sense about this Pope.

It's stuff like this that makes me doubt if he was actually elected or that Obama leaned on the church hard enough, probably threatening legal action on the molestation cases, that he blackmailed Benedict XVI to retire and then simply had Francis installed because he knew Francis would go ahead with the liberal social agenda of Obama and his husband.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

It’s like saying why have a president when you have congress men , senators and judges. It’s about having checks and balances.

Paul the apostle confronted Peter right to his face when he saw Peter acting hypocritically. There is precedent of bishops challenging the Pope.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In all reality the validity of Pope Francis’s statement has to do with what he means by the “garment of faith”. Faith in the Catholic theological viewpoint is much more than just belief in God and His Son Jesus. Faith is acting upon that belief by being obedient to the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles. If Pope Francis was using the word “faith” in the Catholic sense, there is nothing wrong with what he said, because a Catholic approaching the Eucharist with a “garment of Faith” would mean that he/she would be in the state of sanctifying grace, and not in the state of mortal sin. One receiving the Eucharist in the a known state of mortal sin, would not be receiving the Blessed Sacrament with a “garment of Faith”; but rather a “garment of sin”.

Perhaps these bishops, priests and scholars instead of assuming the worse about everything the pope says, maybe spend more time catechizing their people on Catholic meaning of faith instead of the Protestant understanding of faith.

Upvote 0