Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read the article. As an ex-Protestant, I'm not unduly impressed by the business of receiving the host on the tongue only. The main thing is to take the host.

I also looked askance at the following paragraph -
Then there is also the fact that during the Church's 2,000-year history there were no proven cases of contagion due to the reception of Holy Communion.

My first thought was that when there was no scientific way of proving where the contagion originated, where is the proof for the validity of this statement? But while I decided to do a bit of reading on the Black Death, I came upon the fact that an estimated 42-45% of priests died during the Black Death, compared to a generally agreed concensus of 30% of the general population.

Priests and the Black Death - Medievalists.net

The reason was that the priests were deliberately putting themselves in danger by visiting all the sick and dying in their homes.

It seems the plague shook the church to the core. People wanted to know why? If it was for sin, then it seemed a vicious and haphazard judgment. It probably played some role in paving the way for the Protestant Reformation 150 years or so later, as the new generation of priests who replaced those who died were not as well formulated, with subsequent abuses.

Since cloisters were particularly hard hit, with some being wiped out altogether, I'd be a bit wary of sweeping statements like those of Bishop Schneider about there being no "proof" of contagion due to the reception of Holy Communion.

In my opinion, incidents like the Black Death don't do much to help our claim "God is love". It struck right when the Church had it's strongest influence in history.

And viruses are around all the time. If I caught the flu for instance, I don't think my first suspicion as to how I got it would be the Communion Host.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And viruses are around all the time. If I caught the flu for instance, I don't think my first suspicion as to how I got it would be the Communion Host.

I'm being a bit pedantic here, and getting off the point, but what are the other ways we could possibly contract Coronavirus in church other than through handling the host, and not receiving it on the tongue?

1. The mere fact there's a crowd of people in a confined space, breathing the same air.
2. The "Sign of Peace" when we shake other's hands.
3. A minister of communion could have coronavirus without knowing it (too early or not showing symptons). He or she would then be breathing on every person who came up, and rotating the chalice or handing out the hosts.
4. An air conditioned or heated church.
5. Handling books and other items which have been touched by others.
6. Handling cups (coffee, tea) or food if there is hospitality after mass.
7. Talking to others after mass.

No doubt we could all think of others.

Upvote 0