Bishop’s decree: Stop holding hands during the Our Father...

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Two questions are prompted by comments like these.

One, How can anyone in your own church be a "stranger"? To me, they are friends, neighbors and fellow worshippers you just haven't met yet.

I am not reluctant to give the sign of peace to anyone in my church. My parish is not large, and I know almost everyone.

But when I felt the Holy Spirit and interceded for a miracle for my brother, I think that the strength of my fellowship with my church choir made our intercession especially powerful. We were a wonderful support system for one another. I know they shared my pain when I saw how quickly my brother's condition had deteriorated.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would bet everything that I had (and I'm not a betting person) that Jesus would *not* suddenly and gruffly grab someones hand (without permission). Somehow I get the feeling that He's too much of a gentleman to roughly impose His will on another. He's compassionate. My broken finger would have been safe from even more pain if the stranger had been Jesus. You know, sometimes people carry injuries (or scars from injuries) that aren't readily seen by even those standing right next to them.)

I am sure you are right; Jesus would have touched your hand and healed it. I am sorry you had that experience, but I would think there are ways around that. My experience has been that if people have an injury or illness that makes it difficult or painful to take anothers hand they will indicate as much. No problem.

Fantine said:
I am not reluctant to give the sign of peace to anyone in my church. My parish is not large, and I know almost everyone.

But when I felt the Holy Spirit and interceded for a miracle for my brother, I think that the strength of my fellowship with my church choir made our intercession especially powerful. We were a wonderful support system for one another. I know they shared my pain when I saw how quickly my brother's condition had deteriorated.
That is exactly the situation when the gesture of taking one's hand in love, compassion and friendship means so much. When there is that sympathetic, prayerful understanding, the gesture has great meaning and can provide great comfort.

Since the Sunday mass we often attend is mostly the elderly, there is often a little grey-haired lady next to me in the pew. Alone, probably a widow. By clasping hands during the Our Father, I feel that I am showing her that she is not alone, she is not a stranger, that all those around her at Mass are her parish family. Most often, I get a warm smile when I offer my hand. I too get a warm feeling.

I know some of you dislike that touchy, feely, mushy stuff in church, but if God is love and if we love Jesus through others, than what is wrong with feeling good, with feeling closeness and love in church? Our God is not distant, cold or dispassionate. Jesus demonstrated how intimate and personal God can be. And my point about Jesus being next to you in the pew is simply that He IS. If we believe in Him and what He did and said, then Jesus IS the person next to us in the pew. Would you refuse Jesus your hand if He offered you His?

And we know that Jesus not only offered many people His hand, but also so much more. How can we deny Him?

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Jared- aren't you the one that said your hands sweat? This should relieve some pressure. :)

I know I have been seeing less of the hand holding in the past couple of months. Not sure why as no announcement has been made here.

Yes - my hands get clammy, so I don't do it. I fold my hands and try to do it quickly enough to avoid that awkward situation of someone reaching for my hand. Once or twice someone has moved down the aisle to hold my hand, but I simply offered them an apologetic smile and kept my hands folded. I'm not opposed to the sentiment, but it's very uncomfortable for me, and it drives my anxiety up.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm... I always thought of it as a special ritual to bring all of us laity together as family in addition to the offering of peace. Ah well... That's just me, but if this does go into motion I don't think our Chapel will be able to follow. Small church but it's very tight kit :D

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I like holding hands during the Our Father. I think I've told you why already, but it bears repeating.

I used to hold hands during the Our Father too.
But i spent so much time worrying about getting hold of someone's hand [my kids] and making sure everyone was doing it that i lost time to pray the Our Father.
By the time i was situated in getting a hand in each hand half the prayer was over.

The Holy Spirit is not subject to us holding hands and He has the power to give us peace through the Our Father prayer - not the fact we are holding hands.

I admit - i was distracted when i did the hand holding.

I did it because it seemed like a loving gesture and so i started doing it with my family.

I miss the fact that i used to be able to once just fold my hands and look down and pray - like everyone else.
But since the hand holding has come - i am permanently distracted from the prayer because i know in the back of my mind that these ppl are distracted and distracting.

I no longer have peace because i sense what it involves and the chaos created is like a crackle in the atmosphere.

Dont get me wrong - i liked holding hands but it really kept me from half the prayer AND from a one on one earnestness in my prayer life ... and now i have to conscientiously avoid it - i am forever marred.

I have to close my eyes and pray but knowing ppl are doing the oran stance and the hand holding i am still distracted.
I cant win, its my own fault - but i really want the Church to make it all stop.
Hmm... I always thought of it as a special ritual to bring all of us laity together as family in addition to the offering of peace. Ah well... That's just me, but if this does go into motion I don't think our Chapel will be able to follow. Small church but it's very tight kit :D

Which? The sign of peace?
I like the idea of doing it at the beginning of Mass. Get it out of the way...say hello to friends and neighbors.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
i really want the Church to make it all stop.

I've never felt as if I've needed protection from people in my parish community holding my hands to pray.

I can protect myself against unwanted fellowship.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I for one do not like to hold hands during the Our Father. Especially strangers. I honestly feel eek and want to dash away. I am not snobbish. I just want my personal space. Plus, it is very disturbing. You are in Mass worshipping God suddenly you have to start organising yourself to hold hands.

It is a personal prayer between God and the individual. I never get why people have to hold hands.

Thank God, a parish priest taught me that I do not have to hold anybody's hand during the Our Father.

When everybody starts holding hands during the Our Father, I just quickly, look down, close my eyes and hold my own hands and communicate with God.

I feel I can concentrate better on the words of the Our Father.

Upvote 0