USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is roughly the equivalent of mentioning that they shop at Walmart, even though it's not mentioned in the Bible.
Yet there are people who do that. Not even when I was evangelical that idea came to my mind. I always associated it with JWs.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, it is religious, you are celebrating the moment of the Incarnation. It wouldn't be secular, would it be?

Santa Clause? Billions of dollars spent in decorations and presents? Oh it's just oh so religious isn't it? "Happy Holidays" lumping eid observances (when possible), Hanukkah and more in just emphasizes that Christ has nothing to do with this holiday in the west

Of course it's not a religious observance and your post here equating it to shopping at WalMart and birthday celebrations only serves to emphasise that fact.

Now, if in your heart you want to observe a date that Christ was born go ahead, but its something on your heart and has nothing to do with being a command of God - it's a cultural choice and that is all..

Our Lord and Savior could have been born a million times and wouldn't be the Messiah and Savior if He had not died and rose again on the third day..

And THAT is why we observe Passover in honor of His victory, and in celebration of our salvation..

Now look who refuses to celebrate that day and you may know who is and is not Christian. if you care to know the truth about people..

But Christmas? Give me a break.. let people do what is in their hearts.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Santa Clause? Billions of dollars spent in decorations and presents? Oh it's just oh so religious isn't it? "Happy Holidays" lumping eid observances (when possible), Hanukkah and more in just emphasizes that Christ has nothing to do with this holiday in the west

Of course it's not a religious observance and your post here equating it to shopping at WalMart and birthday celebrations only serves to emphasise that fact.

Now, if in your heart you want to observe a date that Christ was born go ahead, but its something on your heart and has nothing to do with being a command of God - it's a cultural choice and that is all..

Our Lord and Savior could have been born a million times and wouldn't be the Messiah and Savior if He had not died and rose again on the third day..

And THAT is why we are commanded to observe Passover in honor of His victory, and in celebration of our salvation..

Now look who refuses to celebrate that day and you will know who is and is not saved.. if you care to know the truth..

But Christmas? Give me a break.. let people do what is in their hearts.
1) I never mentioned shopping and doing that kind of stuff, I said celebrating the birth of our Lord.
2) There are people who say we shouldn't celebrate Easter because it is "pagan" and the Bible says nothing about it. Also, that celebration can be affected by materialism too and "Easter eggs and rabbit" but it is not what the world does or thinks but what we believe.
3) Like I said, celebration of the birth of Christ has existed since really early in Church History as a community. Individualism was never part of God's purpose for his Holy Church.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1) I never mentioned shopping and doing that kind of stuff, I said celebrating the birth of our Lord.
2) There are people who say we shouldn't celebrate Easter because it is "pagan" and the Bible says nothing about it. Also, that celebration can be affected by materialism too and "Easter eggs and rabbit" but it is not what the world does or thinks but what we believe.
3) Like I said, celebration of the birth of Christ has existed since really early in Church History as a community. Individualism was never part of God's purpose for his Holy Church.

1) The birth of Christ wasn't even dated until the 4th century..

2) The Easter bunny is pagan and it's not a substitute for celebrating the death and resurrection of the Savior.

3) I'm not individualist, I'm just a person who doesn't believe the traditions of men are equal to the commands of God - or substitutes for them.

Period.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1) The birth of Christ wasn't even dated until the 4th century..

2) The Easter bunny is pagan and it's not a substitute for celebrating the death and resurrection of the Savior.

3) I'm not individualist, I'm just a person who doesn't believe the traditions of men are equal to the commands of God - or substitutes for them.

Period.
"Tradition of man".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Tradition of man".

Traditions of men. (plural)

So - if you care to prove where it is written that I will go to hell for refusing to carry a tree into my house or celebrate the birth of our Savior the same as western society does I'll listen

And if you want to speak against those who believe it's forbidden to celebrate Christmas ill stand with you

But I will not sit and let you say that those who DONT celebrate Christmas or birthdays are not Christian.. because I'm Christian too; a Baptist not a JW..

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isn't only October 2nd. Isn't it still too early to have the Christmas debate? Shouldn't the Halloween debate come first? It's way too early in the year to try to get into or out of the Christmas spirit.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Old Testament has examples where the Jews compromised and muddied their culture and then needed reform. Why did God allow Solomon's Temple to get destroyed to begin with, then allowed to be rebuilt, then destroyed a second time? Even the kingdom was divided early on. Maybe Christians trod the same path of the Jews and the East/West schism, the reformation and subsequent 10000 denominations are just God ordained consequences of our own Christian brand of hubris. So if someone fears partaking in a holiday for fear of offending God then let them abstain.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No-one believes that "everything" has to come from the Bible. Protestants hold the erroneous belief that everything we believe within the context of our religion has to come from the Bible, but of course the beliefs of each denomination contradict the beliefs of the others, and hundreds of conflicting beliefs cannot all come from the Bible. Birthdays are not a religious belief, so even for those who accept the above false belief, there is no reason to refrain from celebrating birthdays, or from wearing yellow clothing, or from driving a car, or from anything else that the Bible doesn't address.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we're starting a pool, I'll take the square for "Failed attempt #4,978 to refute Sola Scriptura."

Well written. I would add, if I could, "by misrepresenting Sola Scriptura and thus creating a Straw Man."

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People here have said that. I am not even saying it is all who believe in Sola Scriptura but the Biblicists only.
It’s normal on these sites for folks to believe they know what Sola Scriptura means. You are obviously promoting a fallacious version.

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a question for those who believe everything has to come from the Bible: Why do you celebrate birthdays if those are also celebrated by pagan cultures and the few references to a birthday celebration are about heathens?

I think the greater question would be, if I set apart a day and call it special for myself, what business is that to you?

Upvote 0