Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I attended my first birth as a doula last night, and it was amazing! The parents worked so well together, and despite just a bit of hospital policy getting in the way, it was uncomplicated and the mama had the natural birth she wanted! And the local hospital here has recently banned a doula, so I was a little worried about my own reception there, but it was positive. Thank God for a beautiful, safe, and happy birth and a wonderful new baby girl!

Reactions: GTAsoldier

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were at a hospital, with a doctor. Doulas are non-medical labor support. We are trained in how to support a birthing woman emotionally and physically, as well as their partners or family with them. We offer information, suggestions, comfort measures, and encouragement. We help the parents advocate for themselves with staff. Women who use a doula for their birth have 25% shorter labors, 50% fewer Csections, ~60% fewer need of epidural, and greater satisfaction with birth, better success with breastfeeding, and more confidence in caring for their newborn.

But I'm not an OB, Family Practicioner, or Midwife. I'm trained in what is normal in birth and how to support a woman when things are not ideal. I will be with a woman giving birth at home, birth center, or hospital. I will be with a woman planning a natural birth, medicated birth, or cesaerean birth. But I am not a replacement for a medical care provider, whether doctor or Midwife.

Spread the word about Doulas! They're awesome!!

Upvote 0

Ann_of_Love

Aug 16, 2011
✟7,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have already decided that I will MOST DEFINITELY have a doula at my birth (I'm not pregnant, but it's not bad to plan ahead, right?) Even if something goes wrong and I can't have an easy (uh...so far as things go,) birth, she'll be there to support me and my (future) husband.

I have also considered becoming a doula, but I think I might want to try the giving birth thing first.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We were at a hospital, with a doctor. Doulas are non-medical labor support. We are trained in how to support a birthing woman emotionally and physically, as well as their partners or family with them. We offer information, suggestions, comfort measures, and encouragement. We help the parents advocate for themselves with staff. Women who use a doula for their birth have 25% shorter labors, 50% fewer Csections, ~60% fewer need of epidural, and greater satisfaction with birth, better success with breastfeeding, and more confidence in caring for their newborn.

But I'm not an OB, Family Practicioner, or Midwife. I'm trained in what is normal in birth and how to support a woman when things are not ideal. I will be with a woman giving birth at home, birth center, or hospital. I will be with a woman planning a natural birth, medicated birth, or cesaerean birth. But I am not a replacement for a medical care provider, whether doctor or Midwife.

Spread the word about Doulas! They're awesome!!
:thumbsup: That's awesome!

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have already decided that I will MOST DEFINITELY have a doula at my birth (I'm not pregnant, but it's not bad to plan ahead, right?) Even if something goes wrong and I can't have an easy (uh...so far as things go,) birth, she'll be there to support me and my (future) husband.

I have also considered becoming a doula, but I think I might want to try the giving birth thing first.

You dont have to have given birth first to be a doula. I know a great one who has not found someone to marry yet, but does a great job. You can wait, but if its something you feel passionately about, there's nothing wrong with going ahead with training, or doing it! Of course, when you have kids, you need to have childcare lined up since you are on call all the time, so it gets more complicated. I chose a certifying program that has no time limits because I didn't know how long it might take me to get certifying clients.

I havent heard of someone who had a doula who regretted it, and everyone I have heard of who had one will never go in without continuous labor support again!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in the room with my wife with all three children, both my first two by regular vaginal birth, my youngest boy by C-section. All three were momentous, joyful, awesome, life-changing events....I'm so glad I was there....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup, my first birth we did bradley method, which emphasizes the role of the father or labor coach. So a doula doesn't replace a dad, but does take the pressure of him. He gets to just be with his wife and enjoy instead of being in charge of making things happen.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah we have a team of midwives for "The Kid" (the most public-friendly thing I call him ;) ) and one is trained as a doula as well. We're trying for a natural homebirth and it's looking good so far ( :crosseo: ) but if we have to transport she'll act as a doula at the hospital. We'll be starting Bradley classes in November too.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yay fun! We did Bradley for our first. We did Hypnobabies for our second, and I found that to be incredible, like freak-in-fan-tas-tic, but everyone needs to do what works for them! I highly recommend water; if you can rent a birth pool to have as an option to labor OR birth in, it's very nice. The Aquadural.

Upvote 0