Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are LCMS Lutheran couples allowed to use birth control? I always assumed it was ok but I wanted to be sure.
What type of Lutherans were Larry and Nordis Christenson?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What type of Lutherans were Larry and Nordis Christenson?

I believe they were ELCA

He was a pastor at Trinity Lutheran in San Pedro California and they are actually a member of The American Association of Lutheran Churches. I assume they were when he was pastor as well. He went on to Lutheran Renewal which is pretty charismatic and has a quasi denomination, the Alliance of Renewal Churches.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was a pastor at Trinity Lutheran in San Pedro California
When he wrote his book (don't remember the name) it said he was in Minnesota.

Yes I do know he was charismatic.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When he wrote his book (don't remember the name) it said he was in Minnesota.

Yes I do know he was charismatic.
OK, then that was probably after he had left Trinity, so he was likely with Lutheran Renewal at that time as they are in St. Paul MN. I haven't read his works.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are LCMS Lutheran couples allowed to use birth control? I always assumed it was ok but I wanted to be sure.

I am LCMS. Essentially, the answer is yes, it's OK. In more technical terms, the LCMS has not taken a firm position, but has issued a document providing guidance to prospective parents. If you would like to see that document, you can find it here: http://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=632

I will again offer - if you want to send these questions directly to me rather than a public forum, you can use Christian Forums' conversation feature. These are really more pastoral counseling questions, and it would be good for you to eventually find someone at an LCMS church that you're comfortable discussing this with.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am LCMS. Essentially, the answer is yes, it's OK. In more technical terms, the LCMS has not taken a firm position, but has issued a document providing guidance to prospective parents. If you would like to see that document, you can find it here: http://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=632

I will again offer - if you want to send these questions directly to me rather than a public forum, you can use Christian Forums' conversation feature. These are really more pastoral counseling questions, and it would be good for you to eventually find someone at an LCMS church that you're comfortable discussing this with.

Ok, thanks. But I’m 59 now and have had a hysterectomy so it’s not something I need to know about for my own life, I’m just interested because I disagreed with the CC on this point.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ok, thanks. But I’m 59 now and have had a hysterectomy so it’s not something I need to know about for my own life, I’m just interested because I disagreed with the CC on this point.

You will find several things like this, where the LCMS acknowledges it is an issue people are concerned about, but believes the church should not take a position. It's based on a firm belief in the Two Kingdoms idea ... but don't confuse that with the American "separation of church and state" idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You will find several things like this, where the LCMS acknowledges it is an issue people are concerned about, but believes the church should not take a position. It's based on a firm belief in the Two Kingdoms idea ... but don't confuse that with the American "separation of church and state" idea.

I really struggled with the issue when I was younger and Catholic. Just not enough to obey it.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We do have one child, who’s an adult now. But I had medical problems and having another just wasn’t something I felt I should do. We did try for a second child for a short time before I went back to the CC but we stopped trying shortly before I went back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Okay you're losing me.. I guess the denomination is really that different. I don't know what more I can add. I don't think listening to God over people is like Buddhism, but I guess it's just one of those Disputable things that isn't worth arguing about.

You're right. It wouldn't be productive to argue. Hopefully you'll think about what I've said - my two points being, first that often it's not God people are listening to. Instead, they fool themselves into thinking their own wishes have come from God. Second, listening to the Christian community God has given you is not a bad thing. God speaks through people, flawed as they may be.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sooooooo, can Lutherans contracept or not?
historically, no. Luther spoke strongly about it and it was officially condemned in synodal documents from all the American lutheran churches for quite some time. The rejection of birth control was almost unanimous across Christendom for nearly 2000 years. In the 1930s after the Anglican Lambeth conference, churches started to change their stance. In the 50s, the Lutheran churches in the USA removed their previous condemnations and since then have had a "we're evaluating it" stance of "neutrality" (they have also not officially rejected their previous condemnations of it)

Today, in practice, yep. I know a couple LCMS pastors who are starting to speak against it, but the majority don't mind.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0