• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Birth Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone experienced, or heard of birth control pills causing or increasing anxiety? I went off my birth control about 5 months ago, and started feeling really good about a month ago. But I had to go back on them last week because my mestrual cramps and PMS are so severe. But for the past few days I have noticed an increase in my anxiety, and my emotional state. It really sucks having this huge step back. I'm going to try and wait it out to see if it gets better. I don't know what's better. No PMS, or less anxiety. :confused:

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you could ask your doctor to try a different kind of BCP? I have actually had much less anxiety since going on birth control in 2005. I know I was really worried that it would make me emotional or depressed but it ended up having kind of the opposite effect. I actually have stuff wrong with my hormones that needed to be fixed via the birth control and other medications, though, so that may be why it had such a good effect for me.

Upvote 0

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am on a hormone tablet which is in essense is progesterone (what they use in the 'mini' pill and a component of the normal pill) to control some mentrual problems. I was warned by my gyno that some of the side effects could include weight gain and also tendency toward low mood swings, if I was prone to that anyway during my cycle. At first I was very concious of it and concerned and on a follow up visit with my gyno I told him that I did feel like it had affected me adversly in that way and he changed my dose and I think it's not quite as bad as it initially had been. *shrug* It is so hard to tell with my anxiety cause I am so highly strung anyway but I try to ride out the days that I feel low.

Discuss it with your doctor as he may be able to help reassure or even give you more information about what the different hormones in the pill do.

I hope that has been a bit of a help. Maybe try a google.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks girls! Yea I've talked with her about before. She doesn't think my anxiety is connected with the BC but I beg to differ. I chose to be on a low dose pill (loestrin 24) hoping it wouldn't make a huge difference. But when I googled side effects from it, I guess mood changes are more common than I thought.

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Definetly listen to your own feelings as well as your Dr. and research all you can. Do you know any medical professional you could discuss this with maybe?
I know people were praying for us then, but when I was pregnant, I actually felt better then when I took Rxs. I was rather disappointed after I had my baby girl to find out I needed to take them again.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.