✟9,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well said, Mark.

People in our society seem to have a lot of problem with self control and respect. Everything from forgetting to turn off your cell phone at the movies to casual sex shows this. If you respect people, you turn your cell phone off or leave it in your car if you can't miss the call. Likewise, if you truly respect someone, you will have sex with them only as an act of pure love, not because you cant control yourself or because you view them as an object.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Aerometis said:
But what if a couple already has children and doesn't want or can't afford more?

then they can space their children by using partial abstinence during the infertile periods.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that God wouldn't want the couple to have sexual relations as this is an important part of a relationship. Whether the Church wants to admit it or not, sex is a normal part of life. If it is done within the sanctity of marriage there is nothing wrong with sex.

I was under the impression that you were asking what the Church thought.
I specifically said that the Church considers sex to be sacred. not just convenient, or a pacifier for relationships.
Your assertion that the Church teaches there is something "the church doesn't want to admit about sex" is incorrect.
The opposite is true rather, that it is the folks who want sex without consequences that are intentionally trying not to see sex for what it is. - Unitive and procreative.

The facts are you either are going to have to allow people to use birth control or allow masturbation, but one way or another the sex drive of every man and woman must be satisfied.

:doh: the fact of the matter is, that contraception has been taught to be immoral for the last 2,000 years, and there are less "good" reasons to change this teaching today than ever in history (medical technology, food production, etc..).

One of the reasons I believe there is a lot more child abuse in the Catholic Church is because of the celebacy issue because the Priests are sexually frustrated.

This is pure conjecture.

It doesn't make it right, I am not excusing it, but it's something that we all have to come to grips with as Catholics. As far as I know, the Catholic Church is the only denomination not to allow Priests to marry and have a family and the Catholic Church is the one Church with the highest child abuse rate. I am not a rocket scientist but I think I can put 2 and 2 together here and see what's going on.

The catholic church is an easy target by the media because its the largest institution in the world. Don't believe the hype, child abuse happens as often if not more often everywhere else too. If you were to argue the problem had to do with homosexuality, then at least you'd have a better chance at substantiating it.
Priests do have families, just not in the carnal sense you are speaking of.

It's very easy for us lay people to say what Priests should and shouldn't be able to do but why don't all of you try being celebate for the rest of your life. Many good candidates for the Priesthood leave seminaries because they find out they can't handle the celebacy part.

has this happened to you or something? I will ignore your appeal to emotion (asking me to live celebate for the rest of my life).

I am a strong believer that sex should wait until marriage. There is no waivering in that belief at all. I also believe that the purpose of getting married is to have children.

cool :thumbsup:
I also believe that there are a lot of legitmate reasons for certain married people not to have children.

:doh:
what is the purpose of marriage again?
(hint: you said it above)

There are some married people out their (Catholics and non Catholics) that shouldn't be parents. There are many people out there that for one reason or another can't have children.

If they shouldn't be parents, then they should not get married. If I have an allergy to grass, I should not start a lawn mowing company now should I.

The folks who cannot conceive due to natural reasons is a hardly parralel with your previous point. These are completely different things.

What's worse? Married people using birth control, or married people not using birth control and having a bunch of kids that end up as wards of the state because the parents don't have the means to take care of them?

This looks like an oppurtunity to pick which offense against God we prefer.
Questions such as this are fundamentally flawed.

Reactions: Skripper
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Aerometis said:
When I am talking about birth control I am not talking about the pill. Although the pill and condoms are the most common forms of birth control I am talking about a woman getting her tubes tied and there is an operation the men can get too to make them sterile.

That would make the sex act then purposefully sterile . .

How would that be essentially different from the act of sodomy?

Darryl

Suffering is a part of the Christian life . . It is part of the test of the Christian faith and ilfe . . . Do we start turning our back on what God has commanded because it seems too hard? Didn't Jesus say He wouldn't give us more than we could handle?

I can't speak to your mother . . I don't know what she knew, I don't know her heart. We all make mistakes and wrong choices based on what we thought we knew as true. Once we know what is true, then we have to repent. But in the case of having a surgical proceedure done, the Church does not expect one to try to undo it. . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
The facts are you either are going to have to allow people to use birth control or allow masturbation, but one way or another the sex drive of every man and woman must be satisfied.

If this is true, then we are no better than brute animals who have no control over this passions . .

Of course the sex drive does NOT need to be satisfied. . . to say that it must be satisfied is to think like the world, not like Christ.

Peace in him!

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Aerometis said:
This is one of the problems I have with the Catholic Church. Jesus did not say "Here is a list of Grave sins, here is a list of minor sins, here is a list of mortal sins." This is all malarchy created by a bunch of old men under the falsehood of "infallibility" to brainwash people into following their Church. Jesus was clear when he said there is only one sin that cannot be forgiven and that is a sin against the Holy Sprit. Even that is so vague no one knows really what that is.

Well, it was because I thought like what you presented above that I allowed myself to be drawn into the OCCULT to find a different way to worship God. . . I was going to be a white witch.

This is were rebellion ultimately leads . . to the service of satan (whether overt or hidden).

I can assure you, I have learned that the Church's teachings on this are NOT malarchy in any way . . . it is our rebellious nature that makes it seem so . . .

I am starting to agree with my protestant friends who say that if people actually read what the Catholic Church really says they would run from it.

That is very sad to hear. .running from the fullnes of faith is not the answer to your concerns. UNDERSTANDING it is. . . :)

Is birth control a sin? probably. Is swearing a sin? yes. Is taking the Lords name in vein a sin? Definitely. Is murder a sin? Yes. Will these send people to Hell? Only if you don't accept Jesus as your personal savior and ask God to forgive your sins.

I don't see anywhere in the scriptures that tell us to accept Jesus as one's "Personal savior" ..

Are we not to run from sin?

What does James say in chapter 2 about faith and works? Faith without works is dead . . like a dead body, a corpse. Can a dead faith save you? No.

Salvation is conditional . . it is conditional all throughout the New Testament. It is conditional on what we DO in regards to our faith . . .believing is not enough.

Do you not agree that there are various degrees of sin?

Do you think taking $5 from a millionare is going to be on the same level as taking $5 from a poor old lady living below the poverty level who doesn't have enough money to buy enough food to last for the month?

Should we strive not to do things like touch, have pre-marital sex, swear, take the Lord's name in vein, and other sins? Yes.

Should we not run away from sin?

I just have a problem with the whole infallibility issue. Things that are in the bible and moral teachings are infallible but teachings from the Pope are not.

Why? Was Peter not infallible? No? Yet you accept his writings in the bible as infallible do you not?

Do you realize that infalliblity when it comes to the Pope has nothing to do with new teachings, just protecting the teachings of the Church? If things that are in the bible and moral teachings are infallilble, then that which the Pope proclaims as infallible teachings in protection of what is in the bible and moral teachings is also infalilble . . . I don't understand your issue.

Do you think that the Catholic Church teaches that papal infalliblity has to do with everything the Pope teaches? There have been less than a handful of infallible proclamations made by Popes , , did you know that? And did you know that when one Pope was about to make an infallible proclamation that was very full of error, on the eve of his planned act, this otherwise healthy, strong man was suddenly struck down with illness and died not long afterwards, never being allowed to use the charism of infalliblity wrongly?

It is a charism to protect the teaching of the Church, the use of which is protected by the Holy Spirit.

People say, well the Pope is guided by the Holy Spirit so that makes him infallible." Well, my friends, we are all guided by the Holy Spirit. (most of us anyway) I know I am guided by the Holy Spirit, but I still make mistakes. I am still wrong. I am wrong a lot. A lot of Pope's have been wrong. No one is Infallible. The only one that is Infallible is is Jesus.

Please take time to learn and understand what the doctrine of Papal infalliblity is really all about intead of listening to what your protestant friends are telling you, as they are woefully misinformed. I had to settle this question before I could convert from Protestantism to Catholicism . .. believe me . . they have it all wrong.

Some of the people in here have really made me question my own faith. The only reason I would not become a Protestant is because I believe in the Holy Eucharist and the Real Presence of Christ in the bread and wine.

GOOD FOR YOU! Protestants do not have the Real Presence. To give that up, to give up Jesus like that, because you don't understand some of the teachings of the Church would be very sad indeed.

I also believe in the moral issues the Church stands for. I just done believe it's the Church's job of telling people they are going to Hell.

The Church tells no one they are going to hell. They warn people away from hell, and tell them what could send them to hell. But the Church does not read another's heart, and so places NO ONE in particular in hell. That is an issue between the person and God alone.

The Church has told people they are going to Hell for a lot of different things and then they have all of a sudden changed their minds over the years.

That is not true . . . You are misinformed and/or do not understand. :)

I am not the type that just accepts something just because someone says it. I question things. I question authority.

When one is not sure of the basis of authority, then it becomes questionable.

I will ask you this though. The bible says the CHURCH is the Pillar and Foundation of the truth . . . If the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth, how can it teach error? I had to come to a point of confidence in what the Church is, what Christ promised, what it all meant. . . . I came to the point of recognizing that since the Gates of Hell will never prevail against the Church, and the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth, then the Church cannot err, and I can trust the teaching of the Church.

It is a trust issue . . . Trusting that Jesus meant what He said . . That He will keep His promises, that the scriptures are right when they call the Church the Pillar and Foundation of Truth. I can rest securely in that. :)

I try to do it in a good way but I like to have answers as to why things are done. Even though I have been born and raised a Catholic and went through the CCD program, I still have a lot to learn about my Church.

Yes, and catechesis was not that great last century when you would have gone through it .. lots of Catholics are in the same position of not understanding their faith well which makes them easy targets for their protestant friends who want to "Save" them from the "errors" of Catholicism . .. believe me . . they are woefully misinformed.

I also just don't accept someone's post here on a message board. Some issues I am going to have to go to my priest who I can trust to talk to and be candid with and hopefully get my questions answered.

That is as it should be . . you should go to your priest. . . hopefully, we have given you somethings to consider that you have not considered before, and can talk to your priest about them.

But I tell you one thing, I know for a fact my mother is not going to Hell for having her tubes tied and if you say she is then you better watch out because according to the bible you are the one that is going to be judged by God and you are the one who risks eternal damnation for telling other people they are going to Hell. We are all going to have to face judgement for our sins. I would worry about cleaning up your own house before you tell me I have to clean up mine.

None of us can say who is going to hell and who is not . . and no one is. :)

I am sorry if my language is strong, and I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone but I just don't think anyone has any right to tell anyone they are going to Hell.

I agree .. but I thnk you misunderstood what was being said.

The only way any of us is going to Hell is if we reject Jesus Christ or if we commit a sin against the Holy Spirit. I don't think any of us has done that.

Darryl

This is what a mortal sin is . . one that rejects Jesus Christ. Paul speaks of those who once served as fellow laborers who had later turned their back on Christ and became enemies of the gospel . . .

Mortal sin is sin which breaks our communion with God .. Like murdering someone in cold blood with the free exercise of one's will, and no circumstances that would mitigate what was done in any way . . . someone dying in such a state of sin would not obtain salvation. However, just because it appears to us that someone did this, it does not necessarily mean it was a mortal sin, for we do not see what is in the heart . . only God does. The Church, recognizing it cannot know (apart from divine revelation), takes the cautious road and deals with any grave sin as potentially mortal, for our own sakes, for the safety of our souls . .. Not becaues they are trying to say someone is going to hell . . . Do you see the difference?

You have a lot of questions. . . Please, take time to ask them here . . there are a lot of knowledgeable people here . . take our answers to your priest and get his feedback on them. :) Pray . . Pray for guidance and understanding.

Hold fast to the Eucharist . . . Go to Adoration as often as you can during this testing of yor faith, for that is what you are experiencing. God will see you through this.

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Aerometis said:
But what if a couple already has children and doesn't want or can't afford more?

Not wanting is not sufficient- it is selfish and self serving- it leads to divorce in most cases. It is no coincident that the divorce rate went up as B/C was put in to use.

Not affording can be valid but it is wrong to assume you will never be able to afford- you never know God has in store. This is a day to day discernment - if you do not have a job or any money to support a child toady then you abstain during fertile periods, if tomorrow you can afford it- then you consider it. To me financial reasons are the least of any reason- God does provide.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that God wouldn't want the couple to have sexual relations as this is an important part of a relationship. Whether the Church wants to admit it or not, sex is a normal part of life. If it is done within the sanctity of marriage there is nothing wrong with sex.

Whether the Church wants to admit it or not?!? R U serious? Read the pope's ‘Theology of the Body’ please. The Church openly admits it but we do not rule the act by our disorder passions, we bring our passions under control and submission to God's will.

This is not our will be done but God' will be done- It is HE who says that the martial act must be both at ALL times, open to life as well as unitive.

R U you being serious again??? You are refering to lust and lust is a deadly sin we can not give way to it and let it control us... Lust comes from Satan- it is his gift to us, it does not come from God.

Those who do give way to lust are adulators, murders, rapist pedophiles, inappropriate contentographers, ect. Allowing a disorder Poisson to rule us, leads to deeper disordered passions because the flesh will never get enough, this is how Satan works!

And when we get in to habit of feeding the flesh what it wants we become blind, and harden, this is why people are so willing t do evil, this is where it starts, giving into our flesh.

Are you actually saying the Church as to allow us to let our fallen flesh nature govern our entire being? And to heck with purity, holiness, perfection, transformation and the restoration of the gifts and the very life of grace Christ died to give to us???

Oh . My. Goodness... I can not believe I read that... The Church has to allow masturbation and/or birth control or else? This is the epitome of anti Christianity I have ever read by anyone- I'm sorry for the rant, I am truly, truly shocked by belief here...

One of the reasons I believe there is a lot more child abuse in the Catholic Church is because of the celebacy issue because the Priests are sexually frustrated.

So those who give way to every urge of their sex drive through masturbation and fornication and married people who contracept … why do we have rape, infidelity, child molestation of kids by their own dads? If the answer is us granting sex with out consequence to married people why the problem still outside the Church? Married coupes who do contracept also molest their children. Please... think your thoughts all the way through- what you suggest is illogical because if this were true we would have no sex crimes in the world today. If free sex in or out of marriage for that matter, and B/C is our answer…obviously it’s not the answer.

It doesn't make it right, I am not excusing it, but it's something that we all have to come to grips with as Catholics.

So your answer to sin is allowing more sin?

As far as I know, the Catholic Church is the only denomination

The Catholic Church is not a denomination- it is Christ's own Church. As a Catholic you should know this.

not to allow Priests to marry and have a family and the Catholic Church is the one Church with the highest child abuse rate. I am not a rocket scientist but I think I can put 2 and 2 together here and see what's going on.

Okay let's add 2+2. If we allow a heterosexual priest to have a heterosexual sexual relationship with a woman he is married to, and we allow that priest to father children he then will stop molesting male children in the Church? Do I understand this logic correctly, or am I missing something?

It's very easy for us lay people to say what Priests should and shouldn't be able to do but why don't all of you try being celebate for the rest of your life. Many good candidates for the Priesthood leave seminaries because they find out they can't handle the celebacy part.

They were not cut out to be priest but married lay people. Why is one bringing one’s disordered passion under control wrong to you? Do you realize that we are born with inordinate passions? And we need to bring them under submission or we will never become what Christ redeemed us to be and that is sons and daughters of God?

I am a strong believer that sex should wait until marriage. There is no waivering in that belief at all. I also believe that the purpose of getting married is to have children. I also believe that there are a lot of legitmate reasons for certain married people not to have children. There are some married people out their (Catholics and non Catholics) that shouldn't be parents. There are many people out there that for one reason or another can't have children.

And the problem you see will only worsen if we were to do as you say- give into every whim of the disordered fallen flesh. You actually think giving into our disorder passion will solve problems? I don’t you truly realize it but your position is that of Satan’s. You need to put on the mind of Christ.

What's worse? Married people using birth control, or married people not using birth control and having a bunch of kids that end up as wards of the state because the parents don't have the means to take care of them?

Cite? Wards of the state are not coming from Christian households. The need to is be Christian- Not to use contraception and/or masturbation. The wards of the sate are from those who are having sex that should not. Cite you your evidence that married homes give their children to the state because they can not provide and care for them and are abusive to them?

Birth control is not abortion.

Certain types most assuredly are. IUD strictly an abortifant- Norplant- after the first 2 years- strictly an abortifant- pills of various kind can very easily cause an abortion- deprovera shots, act more as an abortfiant than as a contraceptive. Your ill informed.

Reactions: Skripper
Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
thereselittleflower said:
That would make the sex act then purposefully sterile . .

How would that be essentially different from the act of sodomy?

In the above quote you are referring to a previous quote that was talking about a sterilized couple (or at least when one person in the couple is sterilized). I happen to be in a marriage with a sterilized woman, and yes she became sterile after we had 3 kids and she does not regret it.

I am seriously offended at this kind of mentality. You are essentially saying that when my I make love to my wife I am doing the same as sodomizing her?!? :eek: Sexual intercourse with my wife will never be about procreation anymore...doesn't mean I consider it selfish or sinful. If this is really what the church teaches then it is a load of bull.:sick:

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Aerometis said:
When I am talking about birth control I am not talking about the pill. Although the pill and condoms are the most common forms of birth control I am talking about a woman getting her tubes tied and there is an operation the men can get too to make them sterile. After medical problems my mother had when she had me she had her tubes tied and I don't believe that should be against the Church.

My parents couldn't have afforded to have another child even if they wanted one. When I was growing up we were lucky to have food on the table and a roof over our head. My dad was struggling with minimum wage jobs ($2.50 an hour) and also trying to overcome alcoholism. Thanks to a mircale from God my dad has almost 30 years of sobriety and a happy marriage that is still going strong after 33 years and counting. A lot of times growing up we wouldn't have had food on our table or a roof over our head if it wasn't for the Church and Community and government programs.

Every time my dad finally got a good job something would happen and he would lose it. He worked for several years as an orderly at the hospital which he really liked and then he got laid off when they got rid of the orderlies. He got a really good job at a local plant and they pulled up and left town. Then it was on to a series of minimum wage jobs until finally he won his appeals (after 10 years+) from the military. My dad is now a 100% service connected disabled veteran and after his sizeable settlement we finally had a decent life. By that time my childhood was just about over but we still had some good times and I am still thankful to God for saving my dad's life.

But now that I told you all my life's story you can see that having any other kids would have been an impossible bourdon for my family. So I think my mother did the wize thing by getting her tubes tied.

Darryl

In all honesty, the problem your parents suffered we call life… we live in a valley of tears. Jesus assured us we would have trouble, he promised it even- but he said to endure it for now, he is with us None of what your parents suffered was because they had children.

If everyone who ever suffered did not have children because of it- then the world would be empty.

I am sure the Virgin Mother of God had a hard time because she was pregnant with Christ… this was not the baby of her husband. We all benefited from her sacrifice and suffering.

If you ask your parents, I’m sure they will tell you the joy that you brought to them was the reason they got up every day and carried on. You were not the cause of their poverty and you deserve to be here. Your life is more important than money.

Do you not see how children are a gift?

I am so sad you have this mind set- it is of the enemy- truly. This is the argument that Margaret Sanger (the foundress of planned parenthood) a well known supporter of Hitler’s urgenics and a racist against blacks and Hispanics and poor people in general, she said that poor people did not deserve to have children, that only the wealthy white elite deserved to have children because the United States need to breed a perfect strong race free of poverty.

She was wrong- look at her fruits, the rotten fruits of planned parenthood and the culture of death. Children are not the cause of poverty- man’s greed is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think if someone has been sterilized then once they have confessed it and are truely sorry if they cannot afford to have the operation reversed, they are alowed to have sex.

The link between sodomy and contraception is real. It is what has got the anglican community in a mess. The gay couples basically can say "well since the procreative does not have to be part of sex for man and women, man and man is ok too". This is a fair argument on behalf of the gays especially if you do not recognise a biblical comdemnation of sodomy.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Canadian75 said:
In the above quote you are referring to a previous quote that was talking about a sterilized couple (or at least when one person in the couple is sterilized). I happen to be in a marriage with a sterilized woman, and yes she became sterile after we had 3 kids and she does not regret it.

I am seriously offended at this kind of mentality. You are essentially saying that when my I make love to my wife I am doing the same as sodomizing her?!? :eek: Sexual intercourse with my wife will never be about procreation anymore...doesn't mean I consider it selfish or sinful. If this is really what the church teaches then it is a load of bull.:sick:
You are saying you and your wife refuse to accept anymore children from the hands of God… that three was enough, but will continue to have sex for reasons that serve you and your wife, how is that not selfish?

God is a part of our sexual relationships and we can not cut him out- not even literally by taking a perfectly healthy reproductive organ and mutilating it, not to treat a illnes but because it worked properly, because it was doing it’s job that God desigened for it to do. You are being giving? I am to understand this??

How are you and your wife self giving to one another liken to the way God made our bodies, in his image and likeness that is to reflect the love shared with in the Holy Trinity? Life giving love is supposed to be the end- where is it in your marriage?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Canadian75 said:

when you say "became sterile" do you mean that you had her sterilized, or that something natural happened?
Also, when you say that she does not regret it, do you mean also that you do not regret it?
This is indicative of an improperly formed conscience if that is what you meant.

I am seriously offended at this kind of mentality.

I don't think anyone meant to say that you were sodomizing your wife.
Keep in mind though that if you injure a mans leg, then it wouldn't be wrong to describe his walking as a 'limp' since his stride no longer functions as it was designed.
I agree that sodomy is not the right word to describe Sex which is artifically missing an essential element, however I am not sure what the right word is. Any ideas?

Sexual intercourse with my wife will never be about procreation anymore...doesn't mean I consider it selfish or sinful. If this is really what the church teaches then it is a load of bull.:sick:

If you and she have reconsiled with the Church through confession for having her sterlized, then you have done all that is required of you.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think Jesus spoke the most profound, powerful and prophetic words ever said by anyone-

"This is my body, which is given for you..."

All anyone has to do to understand why the Church disallows contraception is to mediate on those words.

I see the irony when Jesus was speaking in John 6, the crowd found his teaching too hard and walked away- with the direct connection to his words at the last Supper- This is my body, which will be given for you..." No greater love does anyone have than this, to lay his life down.”

We don’t much like those words do we?

Upvote 0

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Shelb5 said:
How are you and your wife self giving to one another liken to the way God made our bodies, in his image and likeness that is to reflect the love shared with in the Holy Trinity? Life giving love is supposed to be the end- where is it in your marriage?

No one can judge whether it is or is not in someone else's marriage. That is between the couple and God. A life giving attitude is as much reflected in how one treats others in life, and sex between a loving couple can strengthen that general worldview no matter what the circumstance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Canadian75

Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Shelb5 said:
You are saying you and your wife refuse to accept anymore children from the hands of God… that three was enough, but will continue to have sex for reasons that serve you and your wife, how is that not selfish?

Because the sexual act between a man and wife is more than simply for procreation. When we derive pleasure from our being together in bed we are giving pleasure to each other. If you want to call refusing to have further kids selfish then fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But to insinuate that any sexual act between a man and wife who cannot have kids is selfish then that is grossly wrong!

geocajun said:
If you and she have reconsiled with the Church through confession for having her sterlized, then you have done all that is required of you.

I'm not worried about her going to confession or the state of her soul, even if the act was sinful, because:
a) She has been baptized (in a protestant church) since the operation, so in effect (according to our theology) that sin is wiped out by baptism even if she has no regrets.
b) She is not a Catholic and never will be (as far as she is concerned) so she won't go to confession.

As for me, I let her do what she would with her body. I don't have the right to tell her what to do. I chose to remain fertile. I've been down this road with a priest when I had my marriage validated, there was no need to confess it. Just because I didn't stop her or didn't feel like I needed to is not a sin. She wanted the surgery and I respected her decision.

Normally I try to stay away from the birth control arguments because I don't know that I can agree with a teaching (that is authoritative though not infallible) that the minority are trying to impose on the majority who don't agree with it (there are too many studies that show that the majority of Catholics either disregard or out right disagree with the Church's stand on BC). But when people try to pull off the old "sex is only for procreation" or "your commiting a sin by having sex with your wife because she had her tubes tied," then I have no choice but to get involved because those two statements are so very wrong and insulting.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Canadian75 said:
Normally I try to stay away from the birth control arguments because I don't know that I can agree with a teaching (that is authoritative though not infallible) that the minority are trying to impose on the majority who don't agree with it (there are too many studies that show that the majority of Catholics either disregard or out right disagree with the Church's stand on BC). But when people try to pull off the old "sex is only for procreation" or "your commiting a sin by having sex with your wife because she had her tubes tied," then I have no choice but to get involved because those two statements are so very wrong and insulting.

Though you make some other valid points, the teaching is infallible, by virtue of the ordinary magisterium of the Church.

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
geocajun said:
Canadian, the doctrine on contraception is infallible. its called 'ordinary infallibility'.

That position is debatable. There are plenty of arguments against that position (a short example can be found here: http://members.aol.com/revising/change.html , though it is only a brief example that there are opinions on this doctrine that vary from yours) and unless you can show me an ex-cathedra or general council statement that shows that it is I will maintain my position.

Respectfully agreeing to disagree,
Canadian

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Canadian75 said:
That position is debatable. There are plenty of arguments against that position (a short example can be found here: http://members.aol.com/revising/change.html , though it is only a brief example that there are opinions on this doctrine that vary from yours) and unless you can show me an ex-cathedra or general council statement that shows that it is I will maintain my position.

Respectfully agreeing to disagree,
Canadian
There are "Catholics" who will try to debate anything - heck Luther was Catholic at one time...
You wont find an ex cathedra statement to support anything that qualifies as ordinary infallibility. Think about that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.