• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar Disorder and Christians

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I got upset again yesterday. I had thought that God wanted me to take a direction in my life but now I realize that I am just confused again. I had a dream and thought maybe He was trying to tell me something but now I realize that's not what it was at all.

This is so difficult, and having manic episodes makes it even worse. So I have decided to toss everything out and start over. All the crazy visions and dreams and stuff like that I am going to ignore from now on. Well I am keeping one thing from the mania but that's just because it makes me happy and I will take happiness whenever I can because I don't get a lot of happiness in my life. I don't know if it is truly from God or not but it does make me happy to think about it.

I am not saying I am not going to believe in Jesus, as I always will. I am saying I am not going to believe in myself ever again. Anything that comes from my defective mind I am going to ignore for now on. If God ever does want to tell me something (which isn't likely) He is going to have to show up here and tell me Himself. Even then I wouldn't believe it unless someone else saw it too. I would think it was a hallucination or something.

Really I don't know why I have to go through all of this. It's really upsetting. I am going to try reading my bible again even though its so hard for me because all of these pills that I take gives me the memory of a gnat. I read the same thing over and over and still have a hard time getting it to sink in. I was going to read Isaiah but a big book of prophecy is probably a bad idea for a person like me. I guess I will just read the gospels again. I like reading about Jesus. It makes me happy.

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you should find a good Christian counselling center. There are things you can do to help deal with your illness...diet, sleep, etc that help. Recognizing the the signals that things are getting out of balance and having a plan also helps. If someone tells you that praying more or being a better person will heal you-run.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you should find a good Christian counselling center. There are things you can do to help deal with your illness...diet, sleep, etc that help. Recognizing the the signals that things are getting out of balance and having a plan also helps. If someone tells you that praying more or being a better person will heal you-run.

I might try counseling sometime. I am just leary of them because of a really bad experience with one. Maybe I will look and see if there is another one. Mostly I just see my psychiatrist pretty often and take all the pills. We sort of have a plan, at least for mania. He gave me some other pills to take if I start to go manic. I don't know if it will actually work yet or not. I guess there is always the hospital again if they don't work. I agree if they say praying will heal you then run as fast as you can away from them. If that was the case I would have been healed years ago. I can't tell you how many hours I have prayed that He would take this from me. I am just stuck with this like it or not.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul spoke of "the thorn in my flesh" in the NT. Lots of speculation as to what it was but no indication that he was ever "cured". Im bipolar and learned how to manage it after years of stress and issues. I think God allowed this is in my life to get me to the point where I am today. I pray that God will give you the grace to handle this and you will emerge closer to him.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hopes, I am bi-polar. Not a great deal, not to the point of needed medication or supervised confinement, but I have my 'ups and downs'. I practice not letting it show.

Just for the record, Christianity is NOT a defense (magic spell) against this sort of thing. I've broken one arm and one ankle (about thirty-one years apart) so Christianity isn't a warding device for other injuries either. No shame it in. (Perhaps a certain embarrassment how I broke my ankle; stepping off a bus and not paying attention.)

Hopes, I also have had long periods when I didn't trust myself to properly hear what God was telling me. I didn't get over that 'overnight'. The only thing I can tell you is the remedy - at least for me - is in trusting God to instruct me rather than trusting me to 'get it'. Along with constant prayer.

Counseling with a professional familiar with the specific problems is a good idea. I've done it - from time to time - and really can tell it helped. I'm not suggesting you do or do not find a Christian counsellor. I do suggest a counsellor be one trained in psychiatric or at least psychological methods rather than a 'faith healer' sort.

Which is not to imply prayer is NOT a part of fixing any problem, emotional or physical.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Well I got upset again yesterday. I had thought that God wanted me to take a direction in my life but now I realize that I am just confused again. I had a dream and thought maybe He was trying to tell me something but now I realize that's not what it was at all.

This is so difficult, and having manic episodes makes it even worse. So I have decided to toss everything out and start over. All the crazy visions and dreams and stuff like that I am going to ignore from now on. Well I am keeping one thing from the mania but that's just because it makes me happy and I will take happiness whenever I can because I don't get a lot of happiness in my life. I don't know if it is truly from God or not but it does make me happy to think about it.

I am not saying I am not going to believe in Jesus, as I always will. I am saying I am not going to believe in myself ever again. Anything that comes from my defective mind I am going to ignore for now on. If God ever does want to tell me something (which isn't likely) He is going to have to show up here and tell me Himself. Even then I wouldn't believe it unless someone else saw it too. I would think it was a hallucination or something.

Really I don't know why I have to go through all of this. It's really upsetting. I am going to try reading my bible again even though its so hard for me because all of these pills that I take gives me the memory of a gnat. I read the same thing over and over and still have a hard time getting it to sink in. I was going to read Isaiah but a big book of prophecy is probably a bad idea for a person like me. I guess I will just read the gospels again. I like reading about Jesus. It makes me happy.

When things are unclear, focus on what is clear. Do the things the Bible instructs of Christians which to you are clear, emphasized in scripture and repeated. Those are the things that are important.

Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." John 14:21

The idea is to do that which you know you should do, and then He will reveal more. Revelation and Inspiration are a function of Contemplation and Application.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul spoke of "the thorn in my flesh" in the NT. Lots of speculation as to what it was but no indication that he was ever "cured". Im bipolar and learned how to manage it after years of stress and issues. I think God allowed this is in my life to get me to the point where I am today. I pray that God will give you the grace to handle this and you will emerge closer to him.

I can relate to Paul's thorn in the flesh. It really stinks to be betrayed by my own mind. Thanks for the prayers and I am really glad you learned to manage this, maybe I will someday too but I really don't know if that's possible for me. I think I am at the severe end of the spectrum. Thank God it (the mania) don't happen very often. I can barely handle it as it is now. They say God don't give you more than you can handle but some days I really wonder.

Its not just the mania, its the after effects of it all. As soon as the mania is over then it switches to deep depression, for months and months. I remember the mania well enough, I feel condemned and ashamed. I have all of these religious delusions and got everything wrong. One manic episode takes close to a year to recover from if you count the shame and depression from it. I just hope He forgives me for all of this. If I could make it all stop I would.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All the crazy visions and dreams and stuff like that I am going to ignore from now on.
Good plan. Live by this:

for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:13, 1984 NIV)

Focus on who you really are and try to live according to that without trying to respond in the short-term to spiritual things. In retrospect, less than 2% of what I thought was from God was actually from him. The rule is, if I am not certain it is from God, then it isn't. A facet of hearing God is that I do not wonder at all if it was God or not (which is not something I control). In other words, when God wants me to know something, I will know it.

Stopping the attempt to hear God for the short-term is what started to relieve a lot of the suffering I was experiencing. For mania, other than meds, the best things I've done is (1) stick to the idea of not doing anything unless it has been on my "to do" list for a month, and (2) learn to tell when I might be manic. This took a very long time, but the result is that I actually get less manic when I realize I'm manic.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good plan. Live by this:

for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:13, 1984 NIV)

Focus on who you really are and try to live according to that without trying to respond in the short-term to spiritual things. In retrospect, less than 2% of what I thought was from God was actually from him. The rule is, if I am not certain it is from God, then it isn't. A facet of hearing God is that I do not wonder at all if it was God or not (which is not something I control). In other words, when God wants me to know something, I will know it.

Stopping the attempt to hear God for the short-term is what started to relieve a lot of the suffering I was experiencing. For mania, other than meds, the best things I've done is (1) stick to the idea of not doing anything unless it has been on my "to do" list for a month, and (2) learn to tell when I might be manic. This took a very long time, but the result is that I actually get less manic when I realize I'm manic.

Sorry I didn't reply to everyone's posts that have posted so far. I am still reading them all and trying to let them sink in. I do agree though, I am going to stop trying to hear anything from God. I don't really think He would have anything to tell me anyway. If He ever does then I guess I will somehow know?

Yeah the trick is knowing when your manic isn't it? About the only clue I get is that I stop sleeping. I told my husband if I haven't slept in a couple days to get in contact with my Dr. I would rather catch it earlier then when it gets bad.

Upvote 0

sheamiao

Apr 26, 2013
Remarkable
✟23,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, you are on the way. Jesus is the best medicine right? Old Testament is important but Jesus is our savior, took our sin, made us blameless before God. Best chapter for me is John 15 Jesus talk about if we follow his command we would be in him. The command is to love each other as he loved us. Many times when we feel physically mentally emotionally sick, we didn't follow Jesus Command. To me, selfishness and self-center is my biggest enemy, which caused most of my pain. To remain in the Truth Vine, I got to love others on purpose.this is actually what I am doing now. Writing to you makes me joyful. Speak for other's benefit in bible study makes me joyful, although it is not easy sometimes, but your holy intend will be remembered in God's eye. You can pray God about how to love others in your life which you may already have done. Do wait to when you feel like, you can do this on your way of healing.i strongly suggest you go to a bible study, you might come up with something better after you counsel God.

love

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, you are on the way. Jesus is the best medicine right? Old Testament is important but Jesus is our savior, took our sin, made us blameless before God. Best chapter for me is John 15 Jesus talk about if we follow his command we would be in him. The command is to love each other as he loved us. Many times when we feel physically mentally emotionally sick, we didn't follow Jesus Command. To me, selfishness and self-center is my biggest enemy, which caused most of my pain. To remain in the Truth Vine, I got to love others on purpose.this is actually what I am doing now. Writing to you makes me joyful. Speak for other's benefit in bible study makes me joyful, although it is not easy sometimes, but your holy intend will be remembered in God's eye. You can pray God about how to love others in your life which you may already have done. Do wait to when you feel like, you can do this on your way of healing.i strongly suggest you go to a bible study, you might come up with something better after you counsel God.

love
Thanks I didn't mean to run off like that. Its just been so hard for me lately. I am having such a hard time. The mania and some of the delusions are back but with the new PRN pills I am able to keep somewhat of a grip on everything. It seems the closer I get to God the closer to mania it takes me.

I was reading on a pastor's website that I really respect and have been convicted that I must go to Church. He is right and I know it. I think after this episode is over I am going to this little Church I found. If it don't work out there. I can think of one other Church that I will know I will belong, the one I grew up in. The only reason I haven't gone there yet is the long drive, but I will do it if need be.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a professional Doctor his name is Dr. Todd Isenburg and he took the time to see me via videoconferencing. I am bipolor and a pastors son so obviously a Christian too. If you think I can help you just shoot me a message. Thanx - John

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a professional Doctor his name is Dr. Todd Isenburg and he took the time to see me via videoconferencing. I am bipolor and a pastors son so obviously a Christian too. If you think I can help you just shoot me a message. Thanx - John

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a professional Doctor his name is Dr. Todd Isenburg and he took the time to see me via videoconferencing. I am bipolor and a pastors son so obviously a Christian too. If you think I can help you just send me a message. Thanx - John Marshall Lancaster (I LOVE THIS DISCUSSION)

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a professional Doctor his name is Dr. Todd Isenburg and he took the time to see me via videoconferencing. I am bipolor and a pastors son so obviously a Christian too. If you think I can help you just send me a message. Thanx - John Marshall Lancaster (I LOVE THIS DISCUSSION)
Thanks I didn't mean to run off like that. Its just been so hard for me lately. I am having such a hard time. The mania and some of the delusions are back but with the new PRN pills I am able to keep somewhat of a grip on everything. It seems the closer I get to God the closer to mania it takes me.

I was reading on a pastor's website that I really respect and have been convicted that I must go to Church. He is right and I know it. I think after this episode is over I am going to this little Church I found. If it don't work out there. I can think of one other Church that I will know I will belong, the one I grew up in. The only reason I haven't gone there yet is the long drive, but I will do it if need be.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have a professional psychiatrist too, and over the years I have had many of them. Also I have had many hospital stays over the years and a plethora of pills, most of which don't do squat (especially the sleep stuff). I am on the 2nd round of sleeping pills that don't keep me asleep for more than 3 hours at night.

I was told that zyprexa was almost a magic pill that would head off a manic episode. What a load! I still had the delusions, and I guess I might as well have loaded up on m&ms for all the good it did. It basically raised my blood sugar for nothing. Thats all it did.

I honestly don't think there is anything that can help me anymore. My dr just put me back on the loxapine hoping I would go back to a state of stability. So far I think its working, but its just a matter of time before I go manic again. I don't have any faith in these pills that they are going to work to stop this from happening to me.

I also don't believe that God is going to heal me or He would have done it already. SO basically I am stuck with this and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing really is going to help. I'm sorry, if you are going to get better than it comes from inside you.

Time and listening to your psychiatrist is my advice and you must control your manic episodes. It comes from inside you.

God bless you and he is always , always there for you. Use him as a supernatural recorce.

My name is Marshall Lancaster write me back.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing really is going to help. I'm sorry, if you are going to get better than it comes from inside you.

Time and listening to your psychiatrist is my advice and you must control your manic episodes. It comes from inside you.

God bless you and he is always , always there for you. Use him as a supernatural recorce.

My name is Marshall Lancaster write me back.

GreatCloud,

Thanks for your reply. I do listen to my shrink even though I know in my heart there is nothing that he can do for me and further more, I know he don't care either. He showed that with the last manic episode. He is nothing but an over glorified pill pusher. Helpful? Not particularly.

Also if I could control this within myself I would have and tossed these pills in the trash along with all of their unwanted side effects. So that's not really a reality for me.

Some people have bipolar disorder severe enough that you can't just will yourself well. I know I do. I would like nothing more than to will myself well and toss these pills as I hate them with a bloody passion but I am stuck with this and there is no hope in sight.

Upvote 0