• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar and hypersexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.

searchingforpeace

Jun 19, 2007
✟15,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone have problems being hypersexual while manic? I have this problem to the extreme and would like to know how others deal with it. When I am manic I can sometimes touch 20-30 times a day. I just dont know what to do.
Thanks
First I would talk to your doc(s). I see you are married, talk to your spouse. Does your spouse realize how hypersexual you become or do you hide it? Talk to your spouse about how to deal with it, between you two. Sexual relationships between a married couple is what the Lord intended...so it is a good thing :) Communication is very key.

Upvote 0

jennidawn

Jul 13, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with the previous posts about consulting your physician about this because as I'm sure you know hypersexuality is a textbook symptom as is impulse control and there are several new meds that can help without having the pendulum swing completely the other direction. And just so you know that you aren't the only one...I've been there. Sending you blessings.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
it is not uncommon for persons with mania to experience episodes of sexual disinhibition. see it all the time on the acute psych ward on which I work.

Advise you speak to an healthcare professional in your area. Look at modern drugs, in the UK treatment is tending towards olanzapine (though it does make you more peckish so you eat more). Lithium is often used but makes people drink lots so they baloon up and can be dangerous in toxicity.

but do not feel guilty - bipolar disorder is a chemical problem and short of God healing you it needs chemically treating.

Steve

Upvote 0

Divinah

Jul 11, 2006
Bakersfield, Ca.
Visit site
✟8,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure your aware that Medicine and Pshyco/Physio treatment are mandatory, with constant focus on the LORD.

I've known cases of this and I asked the man in the relationship..."do you really feel like you are helping her when you engage with the woman or do you not have a sense that your taking advantage/violating her"

He said, "no, it really does help her".

So, i think there is something to the release of chemicals in the brain in the process that is somehow appeasing to the person who suffers.

I wonder how Dr.s would respond to that simple, basic reasoning...Do they have specific drugs for that Particular kind of Manic Behavior? I wonder, do they recommend working out to release some of the endorphins and adrenalin and such ( as with recovering drug addicts)...I wonder, do any of you use this as a method of comfort. (working ut)

The woman who said she mastrubates so many 10s of times a day at times...do you try alternatives...I would think something of the physical nature...start running or something.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.