London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can someone explain binding and loosing to me? I am trying to get my head around it for a sermon.

In Matthew 16:19 it talk about Peter being given the authority to bind and loose and then in Acts 2 he opens up the doors to heaven with his talk at Pentecost.

But also seems Matthew 18:15-20 talks about this in context of church discipline.

But also I hear people binding spirits in prayer quite a lot and that seems to be an important feature of it.

So please have a go at explaining this to me. What specifically is bound, a person, a spirit or a particular behaviour pattern. What happens when you bind or loose?

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You know I heard lots of Charismatic teachings on it, but none of them mentioned this important fact.

"Rabbinical term for "forbidding and permitting." The expression "asar" (to bind herself by a bond) is used in the Bible (Num. xxx. 3 et seq.) for a vow which prevents one from using a thing. It implies binding an object by a powerful spell in order to prevent its use (see Targ. to Ps. lviii. 6; Shab. 81b, for "magic spell"). The corresponding Aramean "shera" and Hebrew "hittir" (for loosing the prohibitive spell) have no parallel in the Bible."

BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com

You are probably going to get multiple different teachings on this..... But you should start reading this short article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know I heard lots of Charismatic teachings on it, but none of them mentioned this important fact.

"Rabbinical term for "forbidding and permitting." The expression "asar" (to bind herself by a bond) is used in the Bible (Num. xxx. 3 et seq.) for a vow which prevents one from using a thing. It implies binding an object by a powerful spell in order to prevent its use (see Targ. to Ps. lviii. 6; Shab. 81b, for "magic spell"). The corresponding Aramean "shera" and Hebrew "hittir" (for loosing the prohibitive spell) have no parallel in the Bible."

BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com

You are probably going to get multiple different teachings on this..... But you should start reading this short article.

That is a really good insight into this. Jesus was able to directly commission the apostles with this same authority and this is passed down the apostolic succession also through Clement and the like. But do we also have the capacity to bind and to loose in Christ?

So for example if the church binds someone, like a preacher who has just slept with the church secretary, then they limit his role in the church and the activities he can engage in until full repentance is obvious in his life. At that point and convinced of real change in his life they could restore him.

The Pharisees loved to use the authority they had as learned men and scribes of the law to load guilt onto people who disobeyed their rules and so they increased peoples burdens. But Jesus forgave mens sins when they sought him in humility and repentance and he thereby released them of these burdens.

If we bind a demon we limit what it can do and we restrict its power to do harm. Presumably we would never loose a demon but we might ask for the Holy Spirit to be released into a persons life

If we declare a teaching anathema that heaven has also decided against then we marginalise those who speak out such heresies and limit the damage they can cause to the credibility and purity of peoples reception of the truth.

Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That is a really good insight into this. Jesus was able to directly commission the apostles with this same authority and this is passed down the apostolic succession also through Clement and the like. But do we also have the capacity to bind and to loose in Christ?

So for example if the church binds someone, like a preacher who has just slept with the church secretary, then they limit his role in the church and the activities he can engage in until full repentance is obvious in his life. At that point and convinced of real change in his life they could restore him.

The Pharisees loved to use the authority they had as learned men and scribes of the law to load guilt onto people who disobeyed their rules and so they increased peoples burdens. But Jesus forgave mens sins when they sought him in humility and repentance and he thereby released them of these burdens.

If we bind a demon we limit what it can do and we restrict its power to do harm. Presumably we would never loose a demon but we might ask for the Holy Spirit to be released into a persons life

If we declare a teaching anathema that heaven has also decided against then we marginalise those who speak out such heresies and limit the damage they can cause to the credibility and purity of peoples reception of the truth.

Well there are at least 2 major interpretations of the teaching

1) Charismatics like to use "binding and loosening" in terms of a charism, aka "Authority of the Believer". They tend to use it when talking about prayers of Faith, for things like praying for someone to get healed, coming against the Devil etc.

2) While other Christians talk about it more in terms of a) Acts 15 Church policy stuff, b)Eucharist prayers etc. for the forgiveness of sins etc.

In terms of context, #2 is more accurate as far as history goes (although both 1 and 2 are somewhat related). Now how you go with #2 will depend on whatever your Church affiliation is. But whatever the background, it is worth noting that in the Bible salvation etc. is not just a "personal" thing, but you get into how things are dealt with as a group, as far as being a member of the Church.

But I would say, don't be in a hurry to teach on this until you have had some time to really study, chew on it etc. Or at least stick to a few basic points and admit to your audience that you are still studying it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟17,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can someone explain binding and loosing to me? I am trying to get my head around it for a sermon.

In Matthew 16:19 it talk about Peter being given the authority to bind and loose and then in Acts 2 he opens up the doors to heaven with his talk at Pentecost.

But also seems Matthew 18:15-20 talks about this in context of church discipline.

But also I hear people binding spirits in prayer quite a lot and that seems to be an important feature of it.

So please have a go at explaining this to me. What specifically is bound, a person, a spirit or a particular behaviour pattern. What happens when you bind or loose?

18“I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. 19“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” 20Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.

5“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16“But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17“If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18“Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

19“Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20“For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

John 20,
19So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

Here are your Scriptures. You can see the context was about authority, and things agreed to in Church discipline matters (Sin). But this can be accomplished by yourself, or two or three brothers or sisters before the matter is brought to the Church. It's all about restoring the person with love with the least amount of people involved. The more people involved, the more bad things can happen. Love covers all sins. Proverbs 10:12

Some people say only Peter and his lineage was in view, but all disciples were involved in the other Scriptures.

We can restore a brother or sister to the right relationship with God-if he confesses and forsakes his sin. Sometimes this takes the Elders, Pastor, or Priest to get involved to help with this. It can even go as far as the whole Church not associating with the person in order to get them to repentance.

It's not that we have greater authority than God, but it means we align our judgment with Gods in matters where we have to judge. 1st Cor. 5-6, gives a little insight on some different matters. The Bible is our manual and the Book for correct judgment, not our own opinion. :oldthumbsup: That is my take on it.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Binding and losing refers forbidding or permitting in regard to having the authority to make decisions about halakhah for the community, which is how we walk out our obedience to the Torah.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
18“I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. 19“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” 20Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.

5“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16“But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17“If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18“Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

19“Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20“For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

John 20,
19So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

Here are your Scriptures. You can see the context was about authority, and things agreed to in Church discipline matters (Sin). But this can be accomplished by yourself, or two or three brothers or sisters before the matter is brought to the Church. It's all about restoring the person with love with the least amount of people involved. The more people involved, the more bad things can happen. Love covers all sins. Proverbs 10:12

Some people say only Peter and his lineage was in view, but all disciples were involved in the other Scriptures.

We can restore a brother or sister to the right relationship with God-if he confesses and forsakes his sin. Sometimes this takes the Elders, Pastor, or Priest to get involved to help with this. It can even go as far as the whole Church not associating with the person in order to get them to repentance.

It's not that we have greater authority than God, but it means we align our judgment with Gods in matters where we have to judge. 1st Cor. 5-6, gives a little insight on some different matters. The Bible is our manual and the Book for correct judgment, not our own opinion. :oldthumbsup: That is my take on it.

Church discipline is quite a clear feature of binding and loosing. Those the church rebukes can be limited by that binding or even excluded from the fellowship by it. Those who act in repentance can be released from the burden of their sins by forgiveness and restored into communion with God and His people. That authority compelled the kings of Christendom to great deeds and building projects to mark their repentance as they sought the forgiveness of a church and a God that their sins had alienated. But as you say this is not the power or authority of a church acting out of alignment with the judgment of God. We listen and we act not we do as we wish.

It seems to be that the authority to forgive or to bind is given more widely than just the popes or even the apostles, but is this just the leadership and them acting only prayerfully in Gods authority.

I also like the reading that the least number of people possible should be involved in the rebuking and restoring process. We live in an age of transparency but also of media agencies with an eidetic memory of sin. How can sins be wiped away when they are paraded for all to see on every channel. How a person be restored from their sinful life when the media platforms are projecting the image of the sinful man they once were for all to see and mock. Repentance must be real but being freed or loosed from our sins is a blessing of our faith that we can then expect and even claim as being of God and Gods will.

Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there are at least 2 major interpretations of the teaching

1) Charismatics like to use "binding and loosening" in terms of a charism, aka "Authority of the Believer". They tend to use it when talking about prayers of Faith, for things like praying for someone to get healed, coming against the Devil etc.

2) While other Christians talk about it more in terms of a) Acts 15 Church policy stuff, b)Eucharist prayers etc. for the forgiveness of sins etc.

In terms of context, #2 is more accurate as far as history goes (although both 1 and 2 are somewhat related). Now how you go with #2 will depend on whatever your Church affiliation is. But whatever the background, it is worth noting that in the Bible salvation etc. is not just a "personal" thing, but you get into how things are dealt with as a group, as far as being a member of the Church.

But I would say, don't be in a hurry to teach on this until you have had some time to really study, chew on it etc. Or at least stick to a few basic points and admit to your audience that you are still studying it.

The spiritual world is very real and fights between angels and demons for the future of the church mentioned in scripture. That we can participate to an extent in this war binding spirits that have fallen from God and limiting their activities to minimise harm to his people is encouraging to me. The extent to which this is a call of a gifted called group within the church or the birthright of a priesthood of all believers is something I am less clear about. But it seems things do happen when we pray and that our authority in the spiritual realm over the forces of darkness that would do us harm is real enough to effect our lives for the better.

Interesting point about how the church community is involved in this binding and loosing process vis a vis church discipline and I wonder also if that is not true in fact of spiritual warfare which in WEstern culture we have tended to individualise. I have worshipped in all kinds of churches but am Anglican by background.

The church has a tremendous power here to bind and to rebuke or to forgive and to restore. There is a temptation in this power to use it for self advantage which historically a great many church leaders have been vulnerable to. So a degree of humility and care is definitely required approaching this subject. If we bind in Jesus name let us do so in accordance with his wish also. If we forgive let us be sure that this also comes at the time he sets , when the conditions he has determined have been met and that it is done in the way that he himself prescribes.

• Agree
Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟17,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe in the example above, the preacher could be restored to fellowship, but we have Scriptures that teach his authority in the Church will not be restored. People in leadership are held to a higher standard, and are their accountability to God and the congregation is greater. They have to be men of dignity, above reproach, and faithful in all things. Sin has consequences, esp. for people in leadership roles in the Church.

Titus 1,
5For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7For the overseer must be above reproach as God’s steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

1st Tim 3,
1It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. 4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. 11Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. 13For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

1st Tim 5,
17The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” 19Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning. 21I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of His chosen angels, to maintain these principles without bias, doing nothing in a spirit of partiality. 22Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in the example above, the preacher could be restored to fellowship, but we have Scriptures that teach his authority in the Church will not be restored. People in leadership are held to a higher standard, and are their accountability to God and the congregation is greater. They have to be men of dignity, above reproach, and faithful in all things. Sin has consequences, esp. for people in leadership roles in the Church.

Titus 1,
5For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7For the overseer must be above reproach as God’s steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

1st Tim 3,
1It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. 4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. 11Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. 13For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

1st Tim 5,
17The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” 19Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning. 21I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of His chosen angels, to maintain these principles without bias, doing nothing in a spirit of partiality. 22Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.

I do know one example where a restoration was done by a church but must admit that did not really work out that well. Probablywould have been better for the church to follow the biblical advice / rules you quoted.

So it seems some bindings have a more permanent impact and limit what can be accomplished with subsequent loosings.

That is hard for big name pastors to hear but sometimes sin will finish them as pastors as restoration will be to the church not to leadership.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another question on this theme inspired by passage relating to Ahab being sent a lying spirit by God to his false prophets which persuaded him to go to war where he was killed.

Would it be a legitimate prayer to ask God to loose a demon of this sort to get rid of a bad King?

Also what exactly happens when we declare a particular teaching anathema. Does it then become toxic to speak those words making the speaker vulnerable to a curse or punishment of some sort or is it a simple removal of grace and mercy for those who share this error

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Binding and losing refers forbidding or permitting in regard to having the authority to make decisions about halakhah for the community, which is how we walk out our obedience to the Torah.

So you would understand it as a tool of discipline which enables or disables the right of a person to decide for / or teach a community. You would not see a spiritual warfare dimension nor the anathemising of particular teachings?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

If i as a leader do not forgive a man for ,for example, a sin of actual physical adultery when I am guilty of adulterous thoughts on occasion then can I be forgiven my thoughts. Is there a difference between forgiving or loosing as a leader in the role of leader who is listening to God and acting according to His timing and loosing or forgiving as a private individual?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If i as a leader do not forgive a man for ,for example, a sin of actual physical adultery when I am guilty of adulterous thoughts on occasion then can I be forgiven my thoughts. Is there a difference between forgiving or loosing as a leader in the role of leader who is listening to God and acting according to His timing and loosing or forgiving as a private individual?

no ...

What ever we bind/loose on earth is bound/loosed in our heaven. Whose ever sins we hold will be held, whose ever sins we forgive will be forgiven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no ...

What ever we bind/loose on earth is bound/loosed in our heaven. Whose ever sins we hold will be held, whose ever sins we forgive will be forgiven.

Sorry not clear, no what?

If a leader is guilty of the same sins to a lesser degree as the guy he witholds forgiveness from is he also not forgiven by God. Eg a pastor who has committed adultery in his heart who dismisses/casts out a preacher who actually committed adulteryand continues in his affair.

If yes then no leader could ever do church discipline since his every attempt to keep order would condem himself

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no ...

Forgiveness is a key area of binding and loosing, its strongly related to Love, Agape love. Personally i think material/worldly things that will never enter heaven is something we must try to give up on earth. The 7 'deadly' sins are a good place to start.

All sins are forgiveable by Christ, but the sin that won't be excused is the one against the Holy Ghost, 3rd person of the trinity, Christ's power.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟17,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another question on this theme inspired by passage relating to Ahab being sent a lying spirit by God to his false prophets which persuaded him to go to war where he was killed.

Would it be a legitimate prayer to ask God to loose a demon of this sort to get rid of a bad King?

Also what exactly happens when we declare a particular teaching anathema. Does it then become toxic to speak those words making the speaker vulnerable to a curse or punishment of some sort or is it a simple removal of grace and mercy for those who share this error

No, I don't think so. This was from God. He sets up kings and kingdoms. (Romans 13)
Jesus taught us to pray for our enemies, not against them. He judges those outside the faith.

And this:

New American Standard Bible
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this.

9I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; 10I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. 11But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry not clear, no what?

If a leader is guilty of the same sins to a lesser degree as the guy he witholds forgiveness from is he also not forgiven by God. Eg a pastor who has committed adultery in his heart who dismisses/casts out a preacher who actually committed adulteryand continues in his affair.

If yes then no leader could ever do church discipline since his every attempt to keep order would condem himself

no to your question ...

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness is a key area of binding and loosing, its strongly related to Love, Agape love. Personally i think material/worldly things that will never enter heaven is something we must try to give up on earth. The 7 'deadly' sins are a good place to start.

All sins are forgiveable by Christ, but the sin that won't be excused is the one against the Holy Ghost, 3rd person of the trinity, Christ's power.

it is our thoughts seeded by a serpent we must let loose ...

Upvote 0