Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi Family,

What does this verse mean to you?

How do you apply it to your life?

Is it physical, spiritual or both?

Which heaven is it talking about?

Matthew 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

~Natsumi Lam~

Oh it means a number of things. In it's original context it was rabbinic term for the regulation of halaka which was how the commandments would be carried out in ordinary life. It was re-appropriated by Jesus for the ministry of the Apostles, and the Bishops later inherited that ministry after the apostles died.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm not talking about authority (leadership) within the church.
I'm talking about the responsibility we have to minister reconciliation to a lost world.
We have the same authority as an ambassador, representing the kingdom of God.
Is this concept of kingdom authority foreign to you?

2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Luke 10:19
I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.
The Luke verse was told to the Apostles

Upvote 0

danielmears

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

Matthew 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

~Natsumi Lam~
It is spiritual, but it is speaking of God's indisputable power over what appears to be, to bind, meaning forbid by indisputable authority or loose, being to allow by indisputable authority. Jesus is telling Peter that with God's power working through him, all things come under the authority of the Father, in a short version. I wrote about this not long ago, here.The Keys of the Kingdom

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What matters is what it meant to the audience of first century Jews, which is the meaning clearly handed down by tradition.

Binding and loosing meant giving authoritative judgement on matters of doctrine and law.

Jesus conferred that authority to the apostles collectively, and to Peter individually and so to their successors.

It is that power that gave councils authority without which there would be no creed or New Testament.

That is why the " foundation of truth is the church"

All must listen to the judgement of the church including correct interpretation of scripture, because of the power to bind and loose.

Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree not to run to other forms of information however in this case it is necessary to understand Hebrew idioms so we do not get lost in error.
Blessings
Those Hebrew idioms seem to have no bearing on the subject. IMHO

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Luke verse was told to the Apostles
In John chapter three, Jesus has a private meeting with Nicodemus.
Do you suppose then that Nicodemus alone was told that he must be born again?
Or does that have a broader application?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0