Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Due to the abuse that we see today of so called "modern day apostles". It is best kept to the 12 and to those who were commissioned directly by the original 12. We can use Disciple with no risk of error.
Blessings
The bible is clear at apostle screwups too.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about this?

Matthew 18:15-20
“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. 18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
This passage including the one privately given to Peter by Christ has given rise to much speculation.
It is a popular notion today that binding and loosing has to do with spiritual warfare however, this is misguided. If you read the true Greek translation of these verses it actually says "what ever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven and what ever you loosed on earth will have been loosed in heaven. Jesus gave this mandate directly to His Apostles as they were the foundation of the Gospel. Meaning, what they set out to do "build the church", they will have all authority to bind and loose on earth as it has already been done in heaven. This is the power of Apostolic teaching that God gave these men. To enforce the standards of heaven.

"On earth as it is in heaven".

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is best kept to the 12 and to those who were commissioned directly by the original 12.
Hm. So you believe that those who were chosen by the apostles to succeed them have some special authority? Am I understanding you correctly?

• Useful
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This passage including the one privately given to Peter by Christ has given rise to much speculation.
It is a popular notion today that binding and loosing has to do with spiritual warfare however, this is misguided. If you read the true Greek translation of these verses it actually says "what ever you bound on earth will have been bound in heaven and what ever you loosed on earth will have been loosed in heaven. Jesus gave this mandate directly to His Apostles as they were the foundation of the Gospel. Meaning, what they set out to do "build the church", they will have all authority to bind and loose on earth as it has already been done in heaven. This is the power of Apostolic teaching that God gave these men. To enforce the standards of heaven.

"On earth as it is in heaven".
What about these?

Mark 3:23-29
So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

Luke 13:15-16
The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?”

• Agree
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They are the foundation of the Gospel. We are not the foundation.
Let me rephrase...what things in the bible do not apply to us but ONLY the apostles?

Christ is my foundation.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hm. So you believe that those who were chosen by the apostles to succeed them have some special authority? Am I understanding you correctly?
The 12 Apostles are the foundation. The rest are disciples. All Apostles are disciples but not all disciples are Apostles. For example,Stephen was one of the first of seven disciples called deacons that were appointed by the Apostles. They were not appointed by the Apostles to be Apostles. Make sense?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The 12 Apostles are the foundation. The rest are disciples. All Apostles are disciples but not all disciples are Apostles. For example,Stephen was one of the first of seven disciples called deacons that were appointed by the Apostles. They were not appointed by the Apostles to be Apostles. Make sense?
A simple "yes" or "no" will do.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about these?

Mark 3:23-29
So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

Luke 13:15-16
The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?”
This has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The same word but a different meaning. You may want to do a study on Jewish teaching practices of that time and the meaning of "binding and loosing".
Blessings

BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me rephrase...what things in the bible do not apply to us but ONLY the apostles?

Christ is my foundation.
Christ is actually the Chief Corner Stone. :) As far as the rephrasing of your question, I understand what you are asking me. They have all authority to bind and loose and we do not. That is it.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christ is actually the Chief Corner Stone. :) As far as the rephrasing of your question, I understand what you are asking me. They have all authority to bind and loose and we do not. That is it.
Blessings

That is the only thing?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I heard a preacher (William Null from Arkansas) speak about when he was ministering to a demon possessed person, and when he bound the demon, he had a vision of two large angels arriving and chaining up the demon and whisking it away! He taught that this is what happens to demons when we bind them!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We all have authority as priests.

2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
That verse does not talk about authority, also why would there be instructions for bishops and deacons if everyone had authority?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the only thing?
I don't know if that is the only thing, but I do know that is the most important. Everything else would be considered "gifts" of the Holy Spirit and we all have a gift or two. What do you think??

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I heard a preacher (William Null from Arkansas) speak about when he was ministering to a demon possessed person, and when he bound the demon, he had a vision of two large angels arriving and chaining up the demon and whisking it away! He taught that this is what happens to demons when we bind them!
So true. Ive seen it with my own eyes and my own deliverance i have gone through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So true. Ive seen it with my own eyes and my own deliverance i have gone through.
I've downloaded many messages by William (Bill) Null and found them just like a Bible College training course in Spiritual Warfare!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The same word but a different meaning. You may want to do a study on Jewish teaching practices of that time and the meaning of "binding and loosing".
Blessings

BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com
We should look at the Bible before we run off somewhere else.

The subject of Binding and Loosing appears twice in the Gospel of Matthew.
In chapter sixteen as provided in the OP and also in chapter eighteen as shown here for comparison. However the context is quite different. See below.

Matthew 18:18
“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice that the context is quite different. See below.
The chapter sixteen passage is titled: Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
The chapter eighteen passage is titled: Dealing With Sin in the Church
Yet the principle of binding and loosing applies to both.
Therefore we must identify the commonality.

Matthew 16:17-20
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. 18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That verse does not talk about authority, also why would there be instructions for bishops and deacons if everyone had authority?
I'm not talking about authority (leadership) within the church.
I'm talking about the responsibility we have to minister reconciliation to a lost world.
We have the same authority as an ambassador, representing the kingdom of God.
Is this concept of kingdom authority foreign to you?

2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Luke 10:19
I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should look at the Bible before we run off somewhere else.

The subject of Binding and Loosing appears twice in the Gospel of Matthew.
In chapter sixteen as provided in the OP and also in chapter eighteen as shown here for comparison. However the context is quite different. See below.

Matthew 18:18
“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice that the context is quite different. See below.
The chapter sixteen passage is titled: Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
The chapter eighteen passage is titled: Dealing With Sin in the Church
Yet the principle of binding and loosing applies to both.
Therefore we must identify the commonality.

Matthew 16:17-20
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

I agree not to run to other forms of information however in this case it is necessary to understand Hebrew idioms so we do not get lost in error.
Blessings

Upvote 0