Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
MI
✟35,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone explain this a little better for me?

I thought this meant binding demons from your life, and loosing the Holy Spirit's power over your life. I even said this over a week ago when dealing with some crap: "I bind you Satan, in the name of Jesus, and cast you out, and I loose the Holy Spirit's power..." or something like that.

But I've just read in these bible study notes that binding and loosing are both for demons? Why would you loose a demon, on earth and on heaven?

Another thing I've always wondered was why a demon would be bound in heaven? Wouldn't they be in hell? I'm embarrassed to say I think I've completely misunderstood this verse.

Reactions: Br4nd0n

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I thought this meant binding demons from your life, and loosing the Holy Spirit's power over your life. I even said this over a week ago when dealing with some crap: "I bind you Satan, in the name of Jesus, and cast you out, and I loose the Holy Spirit's power..." or something like that.

But I've just read in these bible study notes that binding and loosing are both for demons? Why would you loose a demon, on earth and on heaven?

Another thing I've always wondered was why a demon would be bound in heaven? Wouldn't they be in hell? I'm embarrassed to say I think I've completely misunderstood this verse.
Binding and loosing is originally a Jewish phrase appearing in the NT , as well as in the Targumim (from around 30BC, it is a paraphrased OT in almost a commentary form at times) In usage, to bind and to loose simply means to forbid by an indisputable authority, and to permit by an indisputable authority. I don't think this has to deal with demons alone, I can see where it can, but I can also see where it can deal with handling disputes in a congregation or even the body at large.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Maybe this~~~> What does the Bible mean by binding and loosing?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to feel embarrassed at your understanding/misunderstanding of the verse. I didn't understand it either and until you asked about it I applied it in the same way you did. Then I checked on the net and I found this radio show where a woman had asked the same question. Its only 2 minutes 45 seconds long. So try listening to it. What the host answered is something entirely different from what we have been taught. https://andrewfarley.org/radio-shows/the-truth-about-binding-and-loosing/
But then I don't know who this Andrew Farley is and I am not suggesting that what he is saying is the 100% truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Most Christian churches interpret that to mean that the Apostles were given the authority to bind or loose people from their sins. The language of the verse itself seems to say that it's some thing, not some being, like a demon, that is the object of that commission.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most Christian churches interpret that to mean that the Apostles were given the authority to bind or loose people from their sins. The language of the verse itself seems to say that it's some thing, not some being, like a demon, that is the object of that commission.
That is the ECFs trying to grab authority they did not have.

The idea that it was talking about demons was a pentecostal error, probably based on Matt 12.29, Mk 3.27 and Lk 11.21.

Ken Rank was closer to the truth.

In the first century it was a commonly understood terminology used to create something called "halicha." That is not a term you will hear in christian churches. What it was/is is the formulation of a set of simple rules crafted to help a person follow the "Law" of Moses. Each school of rabbis had their own halicha. If an activity is not seen to violate an OT command, it is "Loosed." But if it is seen to lead to a violation, it is considered "bound." Other terms used in conjunction with halicha are "establish" and "destroy." If a halacha has elements that can lead to violating the Law, it is said that it (the halicha) "destroys the Law." OTOH, if there are none of those elements, then it "establishes the Law." These terms are also used by Our Lord and Paul:

Matthew 5:17a Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. The verse stands on its own and it was only the verse--not any ECFs--that went into the answer I gave.

The idea that it was talking about demons was a pentecostal error, probably based on Matt 12.29, Mk 3.27 and Lk 11.21.
So far, so good.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Ken Rank was closer to the truth.

In the first century it was a commonly understood terminology used to create something called "halicha." That is not a term you will hear in christian churches. What it was/is is the formulation of a set of simple rules crafted to help a person follow the "Law" of Moses. Each school of rabbis had their own halicha. If an activity is not seen to violate an OT command, it is "Loosed." But if it is seen to lead to a violation, it is considered "bound." Other terms used in conjunction with halicha are "establish" and "destroy." If a halacha has elements that can lead to violating the Law, it is said that it (the halicha) "destroys the Law." OTOH, if there are none of those elements, then it "establishes the Law." These terms are also used by Our Lord and Paul:

Matthew 5:17a Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Also 'abolish' (negate) and 'fulfill' (uphold by obedience.)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The meaning and implications of this verse are not agreed upon by all Christians. I will just note that in the original language, something is being described where the order of events is (1) something is bound or loosed in heaven, presumably according to the will of God, then (2) a human binds or looses something. The method by which the person knows to do what he does is left unspecified, but it is logical to assume that it is through the Holy Spirit (so the person may not explicitly perceive what he is doing is through the Holy Spirit). A reasonable deduction is that if something tangible is going to happen as a result, it happens after (1) then (2) are done.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I've just read in these bible study notes that binding and loosing are both for demons?

You need to toss those notes. The only time the Bible mentions "binding and loosing" is in the context of church discipline, not in the context of spiritual warfare or being arrogant enough to think that you can order demons or the Devil around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans10:9

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
MI
✟35,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to toss those notes. The only time the Bible mentions "binding and loosing" is in the context of church discipline, not in the context of spiritual warfare or being arrogant enough to think that you can order demons or the Devil around.

But we do have authority over demons.

Upvote 0

Romans10:9

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
MI
✟35,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only if you believe the nonsense the WoF false teachers tell you

I don't know what WoF is, I'm just going by what the bible says. Jesus taught as one having authority, casting out demons and healing the sick and such, and said "He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what WoF is, I'm just going by what the bible says. Jesus taught as one having authority, casting out demons and healing the sick and such, and said "He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

But that's talking about the Gospel, not about rebuking demons. Notice that Jesus didn't say "these works shall he do" but "greater works than these shall he do".

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But we do have authority over demons.
Yes we do
If I loose healing over someones body by praying that
I know that in heaven there is healing, there is no sickness there
So if I loose health and wellness, which is whats in heaven, then I am speaking and bringing that here on earth
If I bind satan or his demons I am not allowing them in my life to work or operate
Just as they are not allowed in heaven
I want whats in heaven here on earth, all the promises of God
And I dont want satan in my life, so i bind him here, just as in heaven
Im bringing in the good
And throwing out the bad

• Informative
Reactions: Romans10:9
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen that is correct

Upvote 0

Yanni depp

Est. 1986
Jun 8, 2017
BC
✟71,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Im a couple months late on this. But i searched this thread here and on other sites as well cause i was lacking in understanding also. But i came across this answer on another platform and hope it might add something here.

Coming from a fellow that goes by Micah

*******Matthew 18:15-20

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

The binding and loosing is speaking of fellowship with the church, and if the church has no more fellowship with someone on these grounds they are also out of fellowship with God and without his protection. An example of this can be found in 1st Corinthians.

1Cor 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. (Read the whole chapter for the complete context if you do not already know it.)

The intention is to bring the individual to a place of repentance. If that can be done first by confrontation of their sin then all the better. If they do not repent however they should be turned over to Satan as it was said. That is, Loosed or Bound.*******

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's agreement to a point, but differences in interpretation among Christians.

The point that is clear is that binding and loosing was a rabbinical concept. It referred to the authority of a rabbi to make binding interpretations of Torah. It's pretty clear that when Jesus referred to it, it referred to authority within the Church.

Where Christians disagree is over the proper structure of the Church. Those who see it as a single hierarchical organization see the authority as that of the Apostles, passed on through succession to our time. Those who don't accept that have other interpretations.

In my opinion the NT doesn't dictate any specific church structure. So I think this refers to the authority to interpret and apply Scripture, and that this authority is inherent in all churches. The churches will, of course, be accountable to Christ as to how they exercise it.

This doesn't mean that churches can proclaim black to be white. But there's a good deal of room for interpretation in Scripture. In order to have any kind of church, at least some shared understanding is necessary. This is the authority to establish that shared understanding, and take actions based on it. Churches have varying views of just how much conformity is necessary.

Upvote 0