Logan City
✟747,016.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else has already posted this, but Billy Graham died today, aged 99.

This is a link to the ABC news (Australian ABC that is) -
Billy Graham, evangelical preacher dubbed 'America's Pastor', dies aged 99

Australia has always been rather secular, but he drew a crowd of 130,000 in Melbourne way back in 1959 when he was in his heyday, and 50,000 in Brisbane. If I remember rightly, I think the population of Brisbane back then was probably about half a million, so allegedly he drew the equivalent of 10% of the population to the RNA showgrounds.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else has already posted this, but Billy Graham died today, aged 99.

Australia has always been rather secular, but he drew a crowd of 130,000 in Melbourne way back in 1959 when he was in his heyday, and 50,000 in Brisbane. If I remember rightly, I think the population of Brisbane back then was probably about half a million, so allegedly he drew the equivalent of 10% of the population to the RNA showgrounds.

Bob,

My parents and the 3 children were living in Bundaberg, Qld. Mum and Dad were sugar cane farmers. My parents went to the Bundaberg Show Grounds (Fair Grounds in US) to listen to Billy preach the Gospel message through the loud speaker system around the grounds while they sat in their Ford Prefect utility.

Billy was preaching at Brisbane's Ekka (Exhibition Grounds) where about 50,000 were in attendance. In Bundaberg, it was known as a 'landline crusade rally'.

Even though my parents were religious and took us to Sunday School, we had not a clue about the Gospel until that day in May 1959 when my parents were born again. Jesus entered our household and transformed it. All 3 children became Christians and continue in the faith today.

This is what Billy Graham said about his own death:

"Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God" (source).​

However, Billy actually adapted his version from evangelist D L Moody. The original version is in the first line of Moody’s autobiography, released in 1900. It reads:

Some day you will read in the papers that D. L. Moody, of East Northfield, is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now. I shall have gone up higher, that is all; out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal—a body that death cannot touch; that sin cannot taint; a body fashioned like unto His glorious body
(Christianity Today, February 21, 2018).​

Oz

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-23_0-33-2.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-23_0-33-2.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Those were the days when a song like "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" was top of the hit parade here in Australia.

I remember his crusades as we called them. Exciting times when the world was a kinder, gentler place. My friends and I walked the streets giving out advertising leaflets.

Billy Graham probably affected the personal lives of more people than any other.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He did many, many fine things for the Lord. And he managed to avoid scandal in his own life. Truly ... he lived a 'life worth living'. And in return, God blessed Billy Graham with a long life on Earth. Thank Mr. Graham, for your great contribution!

Upvote 0