Bill Maher: We Need to Stop Saying Most Cops Are Good Until There's More Evidence

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eh it's a fair point.

It is a fair point. I definitely would like to see such evidence before I can even start to trust the police without having some sense of suspicion and apprehension every time I see one standing near me.

Upvote 0

Snappy1

Feb 19, 2018
Arkansas
✟30,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So we need to start saying most cops are bad until there's more evidence? ("Most" is a pretty big word.)
No. Just don't say anything or reach any conclusion until you have said evidence.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think most people have a dark side. I guess cops would be on that list too. Did Bill Maher play on groundhog day?

Agree, and thing is, IMO, a lot of them join the force because it allows them to facilitate that dark side.

Then there are those who join for all the right reasons...I've seen both in action. But that doesn't do away with what I feel is a fact, the job tends to draw controlling as well as those with other undesirable issues.

"Insecurities" is a term that comes to mind right about now.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
[Staff edit].

What evidence do you think he needs to say that there's not evidence to say that most cops are good?

Maher isn't making a claim that "most cops are bad", his statement is about the lack of evidence supporting the claim made by some that "most cops are good".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ubicaritas
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You guilty of something?

No, I am not. I'm just an Indigenous person being wisely cautious since I have encountered some very rude and obnoxious police officers and state troopers over the years. I'm leery of them all.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I am not. I'm just an Indigenous person being wisely cautious since I have encountered some very rude and obnoxious police officers and state troopers over the years. I'm leery of them all.

It's true. They do exist. I went to an airshow yesterday and was met at my normal spot by a police officer who told me I couldn't go that close and had to stay further back, followed by the question, "Is that okay?" The way he asked almost sounded like he was inviting me to argue with him. I simply said "yes" and found somewhere else to go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Pretty sure we all have.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
[Staff edit].

I've seen nothing to suggest that cops are any more "good" than other people.

I don't agree with the statement "cops are good people".
I don't agree with the statement "cops are bad people".
I think the correct statement is "cops are people". That's the only one of the 3 statements that is supported by evidence.

[Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0