• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

BIG catholic image of "mother mary" on the wall at baptist youth

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by Hagios17, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagios17

Hagios17 Jesus is awesome

+36
    Christian
    Private
    ...yup:sigh:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dave90

dave90 Guest

+0

3. Col

Col Good looking and modest

+54
    Catholic
    Married

4. Matthan

Matthan Veteran

+206
    Baptist
    Once again, we need more information before we can make any meaningful comments. Are you sure it was an image of "mother mary"? Or, might it have been an image of Martha Washington? Or Opra Wimphrey - I understand she is quite popular right now. How about Rosie, she needs to attend church more often. Or, could it have been an image of Hillary? She would love to capture the Baptist vote, and what better way for her to try than "miracle" images on church walls?

Personally I believe it was an image of Barak Obama. He is still trying to convince us he is a Christian.....

Matthan

5. Abbadon

Abbadon Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!

+316
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Um, so we're not allowed to have any pics of Biblical figures? The little kids are going to hell because they've got a picture of Moses and the Israelites crossing the red sea in thier Sunday school room?

6. Hagios17

Hagios17 Jesus is awesome

+36
    Christian
    Private
    Micah 5:13 Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.

7. Seeker of the Truth

Seeker of the Truth Walking is harding than Talking.

+78
    Seeker
    Single
    Hagios, was the picture being worshiped?

8. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

+1,745
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    GOOD GRIEF!!!

OK, this is more than two words, but I have to say it: Stop being so concerned with the imagery and process and focus on the MESSAGE!! That's what you're in youth group for in the first place. And if you find there is no message, go elsewhere.

9. JacobHall86

JacobHall86 Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!

+255
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Who cares. I have a poster of Ric Flair on my wall. Big Freakin deal.

10. MatthewDiscipleofGod

MatthewDiscipleofGod Senior Veteran

+261
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Hagios, I just noticed this thread after replying to the other about Yoga. Hagios are you trying to pull one over on us? What is your church's web site? You are telling us they have big pictures of the "mother Mary", they do Yoga, they are into the emergent movement and they do contemplative prayer. You also never give more specific information when asked. So what is the deal?

11. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    Leave.

12. Seeker of the Truth

+78
    Seeker
    Single
    WHOA!!!

Richard's stylin' in his new shades and cleats! :p

I agree. If you don't like it, leave.

13. Abbadon

Abbadon Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!

+316
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes, look for a more legalistic church.

14. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    I actually feel Higios17 has legitimate reasons for leaving his church. I would advise him to leave it.

15. dave90

dave90 Guest

+0

yes what is the deal?

16. Gear853

Gear853 Regular Member

+30
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    CA-Conservatives
    probably to open our eyes. and how we shouldn't be like the world (and in some sense... catholic)

17. Pepperoni

Pepperoni (clever saying goes here)

+295
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    No, we're not allowed to have any pictures of Biblical figures because none exist. Was someone at the crossing of the Red Sea with a camera? Did one of the disciples snap a picture of the Last Supper? And that picture of Mary--it's not Mary. These objects are nothing more than an artist's rendering of these particular people/events. Made by man, not by God. If it were important for us to have actual pictures, God would provide them to us. But He didn't. Because it's not necessary.

That's why I think it's hysterical when I see someone on ebay hawking a moldy piece of toast with "Mary's" picture on it. It's not even her. We don't know what she looked like. And there's a reason for that.

18. Joykins

Joykins free Crazy Liz!

+1,092
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    There goes my flannelgraph Jesus :(

I loved that flannelgraph Jesus.

19. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

+781
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It's funny you mention that. Various scriptures in the Mormon religion actually do have pictures.

20. Seeker of the Truth

+78
    Seeker
    Single
    Yes, but those artists' renderings give us ideas of what they looked like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.