Big Bang Theory. what is Orthodoxy Position?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That is what a stupid conflict of Science and Religion may cause. Fortunately the Western Church did allow the Priests to be Also Scientist like Father Lemaitre who was able to destroy Scientific Atheism supported in the paradigm of an eternal Universe, by simply showing the historical consequences of an expanding universe as a finite universe in the past as far as you move backwards in time in history. The Big Bang is a Theory of a Catholic Priest who was endorsed by The Successor of Peter Pope Pius XII.

LOL, now THAT is funny! I seem to remember it was ROME who tortured and killed astronomers in the dark ages who disagreed with Papal dogma...I don't remember the East ever doing that! Remember what happened to scientists who claimed the earth rotated around the sun?

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I seem to remember it was ROME who tortured and killed astronomers in the dark ages who disagreed with Papal dogma. ... Remember what happened to scientists who claimed the earth rotated around the sun?
Citation needed.

Yes, there was one scientist, Galileo, who got put under house arrest. Not tortured and not killed. It should also be understood that this would not have been a problem if it were not for the fact that he was such a complete jerk to the pope, essentially caricaturing his arguments and putting them in the mouth of somebody named "Simpleton" in his dialogues. Now, this doesn't excuse it, it's still a bad thing, but hardly so bad as you're making it.

Also, the "dark ages" never happened, that's a liberalist myth.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Citation needed.

Yes, there was one scientist, Galileo, who got put under house arrest. Not tortured and not killed. It should also be understood that this would not have been a problem if it were not for the fact that he was such a complete jerk to the pope, essentially caricaturing his arguments and putting them in the mouth of somebody named "Simpleton" in his dialogues. Now, this doesn't excuse it, it's still a bad thing, but hardly so bad as you're making it.

Also, the "dark ages" never happened, that's a liberalist myth.

Middle ages then?

Cecco d'Ascoli (1257 – 1327) d'Ascoli was an Italian polymath. He studied mathematics and astronomy. Burned alive at Florence on 26 September, 1327, in his seventieth year, the day after the sentence, the first in a line of university scholars to be burned by the Inquisition.

Étienne Dolet (1509 - 1546). Dolet was a French scholar. He was tortured and then he and his books were burned together.

Giordano Bruno (1548 – 1600). Bruno was an Italian philosopher, mathematician and astronomer. Pope Clement VIII declared Bruno a heretic. On February 17, 1600 in the Campo de' Fiori, a central Roman market square, he was burned at the stake. His ashes were dumped into the Tiber river.

There are many more...

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
none of the three were killed for astronomy as such - Cecco was a necromancer and interested in astral magic, Dolet was some kind of atheist and rationalist, and Bruno was also probably gotten for his denials of basic Christian dogmas rather than the practice of science. Again, it's horrible that the Church did these things, but it wasn't for saying the earth went around the sun. Galileo's case is really the only one I've seen where it was about the science, and even there a lot was going on besides that.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
none of the three were killed for astronomy as such - Cecco was a necromancer and interested in astral magic, Dolet was some kind of atheist and rationalist, and Bruno was also probably gotten for his denials of basic Christian dogmas rather than the practice of science. Again, it's horrible that the Church did these things, but it wasn't for saying the earth went around the sun. Galileo's case is really the only one I've seen where it was about the science, and even there a lot was going on besides that.

How do you know, they may have actually been killed because of their scientific beliefs but they said they were killed because they were heretics? I am sure the RCC had lots of trumped up charges against people but killed them for other reasons...

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,780.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you know, they may have actually been killed because of their scientific beliefs but they said they were killed because they were heretics? I am sure the RCC had lots of trumped up charges against people but killed them for other reasons...
I guess you can't really say either way.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I guess you can't really say either way.

Considering how many people were killed during the Crusades and Inquisition, I tend to not to give the RCC the benefit of the doubt...

Upvote 0