Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh and @miamited for just the homes in Denver alone, they would need a minimum of 35 of these beauties. That doesn't include what would be needed for all the businesses and industries.

The problem is this stuff will never fix our problems. Not unless we invent some kind of incredible bamboo technology like the Flintstones or some kind of super futuristic high tech like in Star Trek.

Energy density and the law of physics are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future, it will always take more energy to mine, and synthesize plastics and other artificial materials, manufacture the components, transport and assemble these contraptions compared to the kind of energy they will generate over the long-term before they break down and need to be fixed or receive maintenance. Making these things to fix our power problems, to fight global warming etc. is kind of like drinking sea water to relieve your thirst.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @hislegacy

Oh and @miamited for just the homes in Denver alone, they would need a minimum of 35 of these beauties. That doesn't include what would be needed for all the businesses and industries.

On the information that I sent it mentions a 750MW setup that would require about 65 wind turbines. Most energy infrastructures use several methods of producing energy. Wind and solar work well together because you can often use the same land that you need for wind turbines to place solar panels.

Right now, nuclear is really the best option that we have for energy production. The production facility has a relatively small footprint and it's clean. However, one of the problems of nuclear is that it produces waste that has a rather long contamination period after use. What would really make nuclear pop would be to find a way to refuel spent rods. There are people working on that problem, of course.

There are currently about 440 nuclear power plants in operation in the world. The U.S. has the most with China coming up behind quickly. China has 46 nuclear plants under construction or planning. The U.S. currently has two. Unfortunately, the U.S. is fearful of reusing nuclear fuel rods and actually has laws against such use. France has been refueling rods for quite some time.

It's all a work in progress, but be assured that our energy needs are not likely to reduce in the future. We will need more energy as our lives become more and more energy dependent on electric. If today, every liquid fueled vehicle were electric, we couldn't, with the present production, charge all of our cars. A lot of us wouldn't get to work in the morning.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @hislegacy

Where off the coast of Colorado do you envision this prototype being built? Do you know why this was not built on land?

Are you familiar with 'what' is meant by a prototype? It is a word used to describe something that was designed and built for testing. Pres. Biden was using future tense verbs in his statement and you'll just have to wait and see whether or not this technology, after being fully tested and approved, is then moved to land based wind energy production. There is no reason that I'm aware of that the one off shore in the Netherlands can't also be installed on dry ground. It's just very high and will surely have a red beacon light on the top of the towers for small plane pilots. There has been work to come up with a set of standards for wind turbines and their proximity to airports, especially small aviation airports. Also what kind of warning device would be needed to warn pilots of small aircraft that they are nearing a turbine.

So, I expect that as the technology is more widely adopted, then we may likely see some of these 900' tall towers out on the plains of Colorado or scattered along the tops of some of the higher peaks. We will all just have to wait and see how all of this plays out, but as far as the words that Pres. Biden spoke...they were correctly stated and based on factual data.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they were correctly stated and based on factual data.

No they were not. At best they were yet another dream or fantasy.

I have just as much proof of that as you have of your comment above. Both call for us to know what is going on in his mind.

Bit you are definitely of of his best defenders, IMHO Joe could say anything and you would find a defense for it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This thread, man...

There are plenty of things to criticize Biden over. Heck, it's worth criticizing him over the fact that, while consoling people who lost their neighborhood in a wildfire, he went off on a tangent about windmills in the first place. That's a non sequitor even Trump would be proud of. But no... OP's gotta imagine and some craziness in the details about the windmill blades and then continue doubling down every time somebody points out he's wrong.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the Link:

Biden after touring wildfire damage in Colorado that destroyed more than 1,000 homes: “We’re gonna have windmills, you’re gonna see that have 100-yard wingspans, each, each propeller on that on that windmill, 100 yards long. So there’s so much that’s going to be able to be done.”
Where in Colorado do you think he plans on putting up off shore windmills.

Context is everything.

Here is where joe's defenders will say he wasn't talking about Colorado with no links or proof.

Do you believe that climate change only has an effect in Colorado? What are your ‘links and proof’ that developing more long bladed wind turbines (to add to those that already exist) is somehow linked to Colorado, and Colorado alone? What ‘links and proof’ can you provide that wind turbines of this sort are only considered for offshore applications? What links and proof to back up your notion that talking about long propeller blades somehow means nothing Biden says can be trusted? What links and proof can you provide to back up any of your random stated and implied notions?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe that climate change only has an effect in Colorado? What are your ‘links and proof’ that developing more long bladed wind turbines (to add to those that already exist) is somehow linked to Colorado, and Colorado alone? What ‘links and proof’ can you provide that wind turbines of this sort are only considered for offshore applications? What links and proof to back up your notion that talking about long propeller blades somehow means nothing Biden says can be trusted? What links and proof can you provide to back up any of your random stated and implied notions?

Who was Joe addressing?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who was Joe addressing?

Are you going to tell me that you think because he was in Colorado, the notion of having wind turbines is by definition limited to Colorado? Is that what you actually think? Where is the president when he usually appears on the national news? If he is at the WH and talks about something, does that topic have some limited radius, only applicable - where? In the press room? Within the bounds of the WH grounds? Please show the forum some respect by coming up with a better argument.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you going to tell me that you think because he was in Colorado, the notion of having wind turbines is by definition limited to Colorado? Is that what you actually think? Where is the president when he usually appears on the national news? If he is at the WH and talks about something, does that topic have some limited radius, only applicable - where? In the press room? Within the bounds of the WH grounds? Please show the forum some respect by coming up with a better argument.

I will tell you that my opinion and point of view is so abhorrent to you, no matter what I say you will find issue with it.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will tell you that my opinion and point of view is so abhorrent to you, no matter what I say you will find issue with it.

It would help if you provided some way of understanding what your opinion is. Simply saying things like ‘Biden spoke about wind turbines in Colorado therefore he can’t be trusted’ can hardly be said to be abhorrent, but neither does it provide any basis for rational discussion. It has all the appearance of being the random expression of some need to divide the world into us and them, and no appearance of what might be called an opinion, i.e. a reasoned consideration of the available facts.

• Agree
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
read my posts.

I have read your posts. My summary represents what you are saying - Biden talked about windmill arms in Colorado, he shouldn’t be trusted. That’s what your posts are saying. If you meant to say something else, then say something else.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read your posts. My summary represents what you are saying - Biden talked about windmill arms in Colorado, he shouldn’t be trusted. That’s what your posts are saying. If you meant to say something else, then say something else.

i am not responsible for your ability to comprehend. It would seem to you have more of an issue with my pointing out the sheer ridiculousness of joes comments that you do with the comments themselves. That I cannot help you with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you imagine that. I mean even if it were true, regular wind mills etc. with their 10-20 feet blades (my guess) are suppose to be notorious for killing eagles and other endangered birds who aren't use to/don't understand these new contraptions being in their environment. Can you imagine that getting better if you super size them?

It happens with the picture window on my house. Imagine if I had two such windows. That's twice as many dead birds on my lawn.

But we should focus on a more serious problem.

Cats #1 Threat to Birds

Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year.

Researchers estimate that one pet cat kills one to 34 birds a year, while a feral cat kills 23 to 46 birds annually.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It happens with the picture window on my house. Imagine if I had two such windows. That's twice as many dead birds on my lawn.

But we should focus on a more serious problem.

Cats #1 Threat to Birds

Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year.

Researchers estimate that one pet cat kills one to 34 birds a year, while a feral cat kills 23 to 46 birds annually.

Hi @SkyWriting

My cat goes for chipmunks, the birds seem to be safe.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @SkyWriting

My cat goes for chipmunks, the birds seem to be safe.

God bless,
Ted

I find dead wood pigeons in my orchard every now and then, just on the ground with wings tucked as if they just keeled off a branch. No idea what does them in. Don’t think it’s windmills tho. I suspect deaths by windmill have been greatly exaggerated.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find dead wood pigeons in my orchard every now and then, just on the ground with wings tucked as if they just keeled off a branch. No idea what does them in. Don’t think it’s windmills tho. I suspect deaths by windmill have been greatly exaggerated.

Hi @Tom 1

Yes, birds die. They die from natural causes and any one of dozens of manmade causes. Fortunately, just as with squirrels and possums and other such animals that we see as roadkill every day, God made plenty. Just think of all the fish that get sucked through hydro-electric power dams.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Tom 1

Yes, birds die. They die from natural causes and any one of dozens of manmade causes. Fortunately, just as with squirrels and possums and other such animals that we see as roadkill every day, God made plenty. Just think of all the fish that get sucked through hydro-electric power dams.

God bless,
Ted

There's that whole co-morbidity thing too. I mean an eagle that gets whacked by a windmill probably has glaucoma, which could mean high blood pressure, or cataracts maybe, so as good as dead in any case.

Upvote 0