Biden plans a bipartisan commission to advise on court packing and other reforms

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Biden planning a commission on court packing and other reforms

Biden said that if elected, he would form a bipartisan commission to study the court packing issue and other court-related reforms that have arisen in the wake of Trump’s push to have Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett confirmed so close to the election.....
“There’s a number of other things that our constitutional scholars have debated, and I’ve looked to see what recommendations that commission might make,” he said, adding: “The last thing we need to do is turn the Supreme Court into just a political football, whoever has the most votes gets whatever they want. Presidents come and go. Supreme Court justices stay for generations.”

I think that this is a good way to approach this serious and urgent problem, and will show Biden and Harris' sincerity in wanting to "balance" and "depoliticize" the courts, unlike Trump, McConnell, and 53 Senators.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the "issue" is. In the past Biden was dead set against it. Now both of them still wont talk about it. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg talked about how the "Dems" her words wanted to pack the court and she was against it. This is mute anyway. Trump will win.

And I agree with Hank .. they should apply that do allot more people in Washington.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she opposes proposals from 2020 Democrats to expand the Supreme Court

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she opposes proposals by Democratic presidential candidates to increase the number of seats on the Supreme Court because doing so would make it look partisan.

“It would be that — one side saying, ‘When we’re in power, we’re going to enlarge the number of judges, so we would have more people who would vote the way we want them to,’” Ginsburg told NPR in an interview that aired Wednesday.

“Nine seems to be a good number. It’s been that way for a long time,” she said Tuesday.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I think that this is a good way to approach this serious and urgent problem, and will show Biden and Harris' sincerity in wanting to "balance" and "depoliticize" the courts, unlike Trump, McConnell, and 53 Senators.
I really does NOTHING of the sort. It really doesn't say anything that he hasn't already said....nothing. He leaves it totally up in the air. Ok let's work through this. He wins the election. Has a few very few Republicans on the commission. They tally the opinion...Oh sorry! The greater consensus of us DEMS feel it's wise to do this...BINGO....you have your courts STACKED! A deceptive ploy to steer away from a question a man believing in transparency should be willing to answer NOW.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really does NOTHING of the sort. It really doesn't say anything that he hasn't already said....nothing. He leaves it totally up in the air. Ok let's work through this. He wins the election. Has a few very few Republicans on the commission. They tally the opinion...Oh sorry! The greater consensus of us DEMS feel it's wise to do this...BINGO....you have your courts STACKED! A deceptive ploy to steer away from a question a man believing in transparency should be willing to answer NOW.

Term or age limits may be a partial solution but a way must be found to take the politics out of the appointments. Other nations seem to have found ways to appoint justices in a nonpartisan way.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she opposes proposals from 2020 Democrats to expand the Supreme Court

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she opposes proposals by Democratic presidential candidates to increase the number of seats on the Supreme Court because doing so would make it look partisan.

“It would be that — one side saying, ‘When we’re in power, we’re going to enlarge the number of judges, so we would have more people who would vote the way we want them to,’” Ginsburg told NPR in an interview that aired Wednesday.

“Nine seems to be a good number. It’s been that way for a long time,” she said Tuesday.
Oh? Now you care what TNRBG’s opinions/wishes are!?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Allow me to translate...

"If you vote for me as your leader, I plan to form a group of people to tell me how I should think and act on the topic at hand and take all the heat if it turns out badly."

Reality...

"If I win, I'll do anything I can to make sure the unborn have lottery-like odds at ever being born."

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Government Commission= We’ll figure the worst, most inefficient, easiest to siphon off money way to do it, then we’ll do it half-assedly.
You can brag now that Trump has skipped the Commission and gone straight to the wallet graft.

• Winner
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would hope that with the aim of establishing balance, stability, and non-partisanship there might be a few Republicans who would share those principles, perhaps a few blue staters who need to cultivate moderation to stay in office.

But you can't maintain balance without establishing balance first, in the district and Supreme Courts---and that us an urgent, non-negotiable priority.

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If they want to change the courts, they can’t spend much time studying. It’s very likely that in two year the senate will be Republican. By then people will forget what a Republican Senate was really like.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on it.

For one thing, I don't know why people would forget in just two years. 2018 seems like just yesterday in some ways. Dems only have slightly better than even odds of gaining a majority this time around, so there's no guarantee that there will have even been a Democrat majority at that point.

Second, the 2022 senate election looks like it poses more risks for Republicans than it does for Democrats.
2020 United States Senate elections - Wikipedia
2022 United States Senate elections - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Allow me to translate...

"If you vote for me as your leader, I plan to form a group of people to tell me how I should think and act on the topic at hand and take all the heat if it turns out badly.

Anyone who wants one person to decide everything about the direction of their country doesn’t want democratic government, they want a monarchy/dictatorship. The amount of faith some of you put in individuals is astounding quite frankly.

Upvote 0