Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Polio is a bit more more physically disfiguring. I'd wager that appearance conscious Americans would respond somewhat differently...

I'm not so sure.....I know people who have watched loved ones die and still refuse to be vaccinated.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
242086850_4446491432060736_6431399219485151899_n.jpg

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There just isn't the political will to do much more about COVID-19 in the US. It's due to limits of political ideology and moral imagination on the part of the American public.

Even I have become resigned to the fact that COVID-19 is going to become endemic in the US.

The political will?

There are dozens of actions that can be taken by the administration without any congressional votes, unless they have enough votes to overcome a veto of any restrictions of Biden's actions. This was done a few times with Trump.

Yes, Biden would take political heat, especially in Republican states. So?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The political will?

There are dozens of actions that can be taken by the administration without any congressional votes, unless they have enough votes to overcome a veto of any restrictions of Biden's actions. This was done a few times with Trump.

The mandates will get us over the hump ....

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As an aside, I and some I have spoke to are part of the 2 1/2 million who have had their third shot. We will be spreading information on the place to get vaccinated. There was no issue of availability, just finding the right vendor.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The mandates will get us over the hump ....
only if the rules are issued and are enforced. Health workers and first responders have low rates. The military is slow to enforce. There is no CMS rule yet for Medicare enforcement. There is no OSHA rue yet.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think he’d be shooting himself in the foot to enforce stronger mandates. Already, people are balking and cheesed off at being forced to be vaccinated against something they may have already caught with a 98-99% survivability rate, just to keep their jobs and put food on the table.
Biden's mandate says vaccination or daily (?) covid tests, it's up to the company which way they go.
There was also talk of an antibody test for those who have had covid. Maybe someone else will no something about that.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, you point is the people have every right to get sick and deny hospital treatment to others as they fill up the hospitals. I STRONGLY disagree, as do the citizens in at least 40 other countries and many of the US states.
Yes, people have the right to decline a medical procedure, treatment, or vaccine. They have a right to take their chances with an extremely survivable virus they have been working in and around and inhaling daily for a year and a half now.

They also have a right to get vaccinated against Covid-19 if they want to. They have a right to get any future booster shots, too. They have a right to get vaccinated for any reason at all, if that is what they want, and if that is what they feel will keep them and their loved ones healthiest.

The vaccine mandates are not necessary. At all. They are cruel, unnecessary attempts to see how much people will put up with or comply with when threatened, forced, and blackmailed. The vaccine mandates have nothing to do with science, health, or genuine concern for people. At all.

Now some churches and even Vatican City is requiring electronic proof of vaccination to enter. Christ, have mercy. This is no longer about public health. Masks and spacing out, sure. But not this. I am so, so sorry that more people can’t see this.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biden has been doing a lot trying to get Americans vaccinated. The problem isn't the President not making vaccinations available.

The problem is that Americans are idiots. And that people are spewing false information about the success rate of the COVID vaccine.

Just like there were "emmy winners" stating last year that masks did nothing. So a majority of Americans went everywhere without their masks like the idiots that they are. Then we wondered why so many people died ,ast year. It's no different just this time there's a vaccine. But, it might make your privates fall off or cause you to grow two heads or something. I mean, really?

I'm sorry, I'm half American But when it comes to this pandemic, Americans are being idiots.

When the President keeps saying that our vaccinations are safe and will help end the pandemic then its up to us his fellow Americans to get vaccinated. Otherwise this pandemic may never end.

That's like blaming Queen for COVID deaths when she has in fact, been doing a lot to try to get this pandemic under control. It's the people not getting vaccinated that's to blame not the queen or any other leader.
I'd say that a leader encouraging or discouraging definitely can make a difference so it depends on where the leader is leading people.
All the same though, in the end, people make their own decisions. Not getting vaccinated, in my opinion, really shows a lack of common sense or IQ ...
I don't know what else Biden could do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
???

The leaders in 40 other countries have figured out that they need to do more than plead with the public to get vaccinated.

My guess is that there were those in every one of those 40 countries who didn't want to be vaccinated. If Portugal can have 85% of its citizens fully vaccinated, then just PERHAPS the US might do better.
What is one thing another country has done that we haven't?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an aside, I and some I have spoke to are part of the 2 1/2 million who have had their third shot. We will be spreading information on the place to get vaccinated. There was no issue of availability, just finding the right vendor.
It will never end, Mark. And they will begin to pile on other tech as they roll out electronic vaccination verification apps. By all means, get a booster, if you want to. But understand that this will ultimately metamorphosize into something that has nothing to do with a vaccine.

Tough cookies. If everyone got vaccinated, the pandemic would be over. It's optional at this point.

The Pro-Covid crowd are choosing to keep the pandemic going.

No, it wouldn’t. This thing will just keep mutating. Have you noticed they keep moving the goal posts? Constantly? How is it that in the 21st Century, there is so much uncertainty, inability to figure out what will and will not definitely work, and walking back every promise or hard fact they present? It’s odd. It’s arguably manipulative, and weird. Different studies will give you two totally different conclusions. It’s very weird. YouTube censored any and all videos not giving official talking points about the virus under the guise of squashing “misinformation”. Funny, that’s exactly how social media and information in China work.

Something is up here, Pita. And it’s got nothing to do with a virus. Pray, hope, don’t panic. Take the hard choices one step at a time, and please don’t ridicule or dehumanize those who disagree with you. God be with you.

• Winner
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
2) The vaccine has been available for Biden's entire term.

3) The US is 41st in having its citizens fully vaccinated.

4) Over 95% of COVID deaths are among the unvaccinated.

5) Hospitals are under emergency situations in many states, denying treatment to many non-COVID patients.

6) 25% of the country refuses to be vaccinated, and the citizens in the states with low vaccination rates continue to die in large numbers, and to occupy almost all the ICU beds.

CONCLUSION
Biden isn't doing enough to get citizens vaccinated. Other leaders and countries failed last year, some as badly as we did. HOWEVER, their vaccination rates are now much higher than ours. Leaders all over the world have figured this out. Biden and the US are failing badly.

A) Masks are a short term minor help. The issue is vaccinations.

B) Biden has a choice. He can replicate Reagan's attitude toward AIDs; after all it is primarily Republicans and their children who are dying. Or, he can bite the bullet and take the political consequences for enforcing much stronger policies nationwide, As Obama did with the passage of Obamacare.

C) Biden apparently has a higher priority for his $6T or so of his social agenda (the stimulus, the physical infrastructure bill, and the $3.5T omnibus bill).
EXAMPLE: OSHA is yet to issue its COVID rule.

I am baffled by your post, particularly the lead line of your conclusions "Biden isn't doing enough to get citizens vaccinated." because it ignores almost entirely the so-called mandate that has received enormous attention in the RW/Conservative/GOP media, social, and political circles for the last few weeks. (Including a number of posts already on this thread.) Only the last line I quoted shows any awareness of this plan.

Let me start with the OSHA thing. The president issued an order to OSHA to create a rule. It is then up to OSHA to create the rule under the laws and procedures for the agency. Other than keep an eye on it so that OSHA remains on task, there is nothing the White House can do, no extra resources they can add.

The second thing is that we shouldn't have expected any federal mandates until after there was a fully approved vaccine. (And there weren't) Until then they made the vaccines widely available; (to which you seem to agree) tried persuasion of a general sort; tried outreach to recalcitrant groups (including conservatives); and implemented programs to improve access for groups that had reduced access (mobile clinics, extended hours clinics, community pop-up clinics, etc.)

Once full approval was granted, the DOD ordered all active duty personnel to get vaccinated the next day. I wish they'd followed up with in a wee and applied that mandate to all federal employees and then a week later all federal contractors, and a week later all personnel at Medicaid/Medicare funded clinics. This would have brought us to roughly when the president made his announcement for all of those plus the OSHA large workplace requirements.

They seem to be contemplating a vaccine requirement for commercial air travel, I wish they'd do that. (It might be working it's way through the FAA procedures.)

I suspect there are a few more latent powers to require vaccinations. One that comes to mind would be the staff of schools receiving certain federal funds. This might also apply to university staff and perhaps recipients of federal financial aid.

Frankly none of these are impacted by attempts by the White House to pass certain non-COVID legislation, pursue other policy goals, or nominate people to federal offices and judgeships. The president has a lot of aids.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The vaccine mandates are not necessary. At all. They are cruel, unnecessary attempts to see how much people will put up with or comply with when threatened, forced, and blackmailed. The vaccine mandates have nothing to do with science, health, or genuine concern for people. A
How about beating this virus ... like we beat smallpox ... and polio ... ???

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about beating this virus ... like we beat smallpox ... and polio ... ???
But this isn’t small pox. Or polio.

We have been told that vaccinated people can’t contract Covid, and can’t pass it to others. Oh, whoops, that’s wrong. Well, you won’t get seriously ill. Oh, no, wait, some folks are. And you can’t get Delta! No, wait, you can, and can even wind up in the hospital, and die from it. Hmm, well… oh, well! Stay tuned for more promises, data, graphs, charts, numbers, and press conferences!

We don’t see this weirdness with polio, smallpox, or mmr. You just get your shot as a kid, and you’re good. It’s completely different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But this isn’t small pox. Or polio.

We have been told that vaccinated people can’t contract Covid, and can’t pass it to others. Oh, whoops, that’s wrong. Well, you won’t get seriously ill. Oh, no, wait, some folks are. And you can’t get Delta! No, wait, you can, and can even wind up in the hospital, and die from it. Hmm, well… oh, well! Stay tuned for more promises, data, graphs, charts, numbers, and press conferences!

We don’t see this weirdness with polio, smallpox, or mmr. You just get your shot as a kid, and you’re good. It’s completely different.
You don't think there was a learning curve with smallpox, polio, or measles ??

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1) Trump is gone.

2) The vaccine has been available for Biden's entire term.

3) The US is 41st in having its citizens fully vaccinated.

4) Over 95% of COVID deaths are among the unvaccinated.

5) Hospitals are under emergency situations in many states, denying treatment to many non-COVID patients.

6) 25% of the country refuses to be vaccinated, and the citizens in the states with low vaccination rates continue to die in large numbers, and to occupy almost all the ICU beds.

CONCLUSION
Biden isn't doing enough to get citizens vaccinated. Other leaders and countries failed last year, some as badly as we did. HOWEVER, their vaccination rates are now much higher than ours. Leaders all over the world have figured this out. Biden and the US are failing badly.

A) Masks are a short term minor help. The issue is vaccinations.

B) Biden has a choice. He can replicate Reagan's attitude toward AIDs; after all it is primarily Republicans and their children who are dying. Or, he can bite the bullet and take the political consequences for enforcing much stronger policies nationwide, As Obama did with the passage of Obamacare.

C) Biden apparently has a higher priority for his $6T or so of his social agenda (the stimulus, the physical infrastructure bill, and the $3.5T omnibus bill).
EXAMPLE: OSHA is yet to issue its COVID rule.

======================
IN MY OPINION, THE PRIORITIES SHOULD BE
1) Keeping the government running and the debt ceiling approved
2) COVID
3) Voting rights
4) The bipartisan infrastructure bill (highway funds will end on September 30.
5) The $1T-$6T Sanders set of priorities.
There's a lot of good 'food for thought' in your post, Mark. It may be slightly off topic for me to say, but your post makes me think (again) "What would be different if Biden were gotten out of office"--as both Democrats and Republicans have speculated on almost from the start of his administration--and VP Harris were to take over? And I don't just refer to Covid and Vaccinations, because neither did you in your OP.

I can imagine a number of scenarios, but what about you?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't think there was a learning curve with smallpox, polio, or measles ??
Vaccines have been around for generations. We can figure out a vaccine. It’s generally guaranteed that single doses of a vaccine in a child will prevent future contraction of the virus, and can protect entire populations. We get that, and we’ve seen that it works. Cool.

This isn’t that. It’s not working the same way, at all. It’s actually not working, and is not doing anything with any certainty they said it would. There is a nursing home near me on total lockdown. Everyone in there has been vaccinated. They all have it.

Can you imagine an instance of this happening in a situation where everyone was vaccinated against cow pox, and everyone wound up getting cow pox?

From Wikipedia;

“Immunity to cowpox is gained when the smallpox vaccine is administered. Although the vaccine now uses vaccinia virus, the poxviruses are similar enough that the body becomes immune to both cow- and smallpox.”

Great! So you get a smallpox vaccine, you’re immune from cowpox, and smallpox. That works! This isn’t working. And we’re talking about 200 year old medical knowledge here. Something isn’t quite right, Thinker.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If Republican states aren't vaccinating, social distancing and wearing a mask. Why should Biden take the heat? Shouldn't their leaders and news medias , that are lying to them take the heat?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vaccines have been around for generations. We can figure out a vaccine. It’s generally guaranteed that single doses of a vaccine in a child will prevent future contraction of the virus, and can protect entire populations. We get that, and we’ve seen that it works. Cool.
Most vaccines in children aren't single dose.

Try again ...

Upvote 0