• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Biden Introduces American Families Plan

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by SummerMadness, Apr 28, 2021.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,577
    Catholic
    Biden Details $1.8 Trillion Plan for Workers, Students and Families

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LockeeDeck

LockeeDeck Member

+123
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
  3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Well-Known Member

+534
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I wonder if all of that aid going toward childcare being affordable and accessible could lead to lower abortion rates as more potential mothers/parents realize they could have the means to care for a child.

4. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+3,277
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    The cost of childcare is crazy. Wife and I both work full time - sending our two kids to day care costs a bit under $24000/yr in total. And that's for reasonably priced day care in our area. And we're not super picky about daycare either, so it's not like we're paying a premium for some amazing day care.

Just one more year of my eldest going to day care.... so close...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Well-Known Member

+534
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    When we had our second kid, we realized that one of us was basically working to put both of our kids in daycare. It was madness. So we decided my wife should stay home during that time (only because I was making a bit more). So expensive.

6. Oneiric1975

Oneiric1975 Well-Known Member

+675
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    ...I dunno about all this "taking care of American citizens and infrastructure". It will be a strange kind of reality for us. We should probably stop thinking about all this "society" stuff, lest we fall out of favor with the god on our money (Mammon presumably).

Can't we just focus on taking care of the ultrawealthy some more?

7. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,202
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    That is absurd. I payed less than that per year for college.

8. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+9,993
    Agnostic
    Married
    My understanding is this is a huge factor in why women choose abortions. I can't help but think it would have a large impact on the abortion numbers.

• List
  9. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,796
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The Trump tax cuts were misguided and only the wealthiest got any significant benefit.

When allowable deductions are factored in, United States corporate taxes prior to Trump's misguided 2017 tax cuts were not out-of-line with other industrialized nations and did not put us at a competitive disadvantage.

What hurts businesses and corporations most is the lack of a middle class, the lack of educated and skilled workers, etc.

I sometimes think of my Guatemala mission experience. One day we took a side trip to the "tablon," a squatters village. The last thing you saw before roads, electricity, running water, heat, broadband connections, etc. disappeared was a coffee plant, and the owner's lavish home with pool, tennis courts, mansion, completely gated off....

Would you want to live there, knowing that your "neighbors" built houses out of trash bags and sheet metal and had no education for their children, utilities, water, etc. ?

We aren't there....yet....but income inequality is unacceptably high, and at some point soon businesses will lose customers and have a hard time finding skilled workers.

How shortsighted the greedy "me-firsters" are...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  10. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+3,277
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    It's 24,000 combined. Roughly $1000/month for each kiddo.

11. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Why would there be any negotiations with the GOP?

12. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The negotiations are with Manchin. How many trillions will he vote for as a representative of a state that is 70% conservative?

He's approved the COVID plus trillions law. He will be the key in the negotiations on infrastructure. What's another couple of trillion? IMO, ALL of this will need to be paid for, and I do NOT see a majority of Congress voting for more tax increase, after the tax increases associated with the infrastructure bill.

An NO, this will not help Manchin vote to end the filibuster.

13. mark46

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Do you think that it will work to raise taxes on the rich and corporations by over $4T as has been proposed (to fund infrastructure and the new bill)?

14. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,796
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Over 1 trillion per year was caused by Trump's tax cuts. By taking that back, even if we spend 1 trillion per year we won't be any worse off.

And remember, the cost of the bill usually covers up to 10 years.

15. LockeeDeck

LockeeDeck Member

+123
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    The majority is slim enough that some political trading would be required to get this passed.

16. mala

mala fluffy lion

+2,310
    Muslim
    Single
    if you're not picky about day care just find a tree stump and just buy some leashes. i mean what are they gonna do about it?

17. mark46

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    fair enough

I have no problem if both bills are paid for by reversing the tax cuts.

However, I don't that there is enough support for returning the corporate tax back to where it was.

18. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+2,891
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
  19. Tiberius Lee

Tiberius Lee Well-Known Member

+2,197
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Democrat has to pass this alone. GOP will not support any of this. Good evangelical Christian truly care about “baby” in the womb , but once the baby is born, they care more about the $$$ then the baby! So don’t hold your breath that any of them would like idea about child care or education or family leave to take care infant.

20. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,202
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I know. I still payed less than that for college. I payed about 8k a year.