• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Biden cancels all Pentagon money used for Trump's Mexico border wall

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by HARK!, May 1, 2021.

1. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    What family? Parents? Do you have any stats on that?

How would they escape poverty here....hmmm....could it be by *GASP* ...working?

2. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+6,602
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I wont be answering any more of your questions, which you could find an answer to just as easily via google, until you show a touch of decency, honesty or integrity, stop moving the goalposts, and answer mine.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Currently, immigrant advocates are concerned that parents may be traveling to the border with their children and sending them to the United States alone so that they will be permitted to enter.

Explainer: Why more migrant children are arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border

4. 7thKeeper

7thKeeper Hetalia: Axis Powers fan

+371
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    Aah, thank you. It was quite late then which probably had something to do with my understanding of what you were trying to say. I am not very convinced by that math though, because it depends on that the number of illegals and number of terrorists would correlate with each other. But I do not see by what mechanism this would necessarily hold true, they seem more like independent factors from each other, as there are several factors that could affect the number of illegals trying to cross that wouldn't have any effect on the number of terrorists attempting the same or through other means.

And communications engineering (wired and wireless).

5. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+4,273
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Any ONE of them could be a terrorist so they’re ALL suspect, seems to be the line-of-thought.
    Has a “zero-tolerance policy” vibe too?

6. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    The fact is that it is just a means of estimating; and after it is estimated; it is still just an estimate.

The Officers of the Roman army were required to learn math. The idea being, that one doesn't effectively have control of something; if he can't quantify it.

The fact is that we don't know how may terrorists are pouring through our porous borders.

This is an indication that we don't have control of our borders.

7. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+11,151
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Since 9/11 how many terrorist attacks in the United States were carried out by those who crossed our southern border illegally?

[btw, the 9/11 terrorists were here on expired visas ]

8. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Do you think that we should wait for them to act, before we do?

So in other words the terrorists were illegal immigrants?

9. wing2000

+11,151
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    [
    IOW, zero.
    And yes, we should continually act to prevent terrorist acts. The point is, however, there are much easier ways for an International terrorist to attack the US than hoofing it across the southern border. It's much easier to convert someone already in the US....(as history as shown).

Yes and....?

10. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    If your speculation is true; then why do you suppose they are hoofing it across the southern border?

Do you suppose that if we had been more active with enforcing illegal immigration; that American lives could have been saved?

11. wing2000

+11,151
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sure, if the US had tracked those with expired visas and followed up on existing intel, it's possible the 9/11 terrorist could have been apprehended. In any case, violent ideology is not contained by national borders. Research the attacks since 9/11....

12. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,321
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    We have to put most of our resources where the threat is greatest.

In my experience, that's eastern Oklahoma and Harrison and Russellville, Arkansas.

Obviously the cell near Lansing. Michigan that tried to kidnap Whitmer is another.

13. 7thKeeper

7thKeeper Hetalia: Axis Powers fan

+371
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    But it's a pointless and worthless estimate because the underlying logic of it doesn't work, as we can't show that there is correlation/relation between the two numbers. So you aren't estimating anything, the number resulting from that doesn't tell us anything, because the underlying logic of it doesn't pan out.

14. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+25,796
    Agnostic
    Single
    An honest mistake. The purpose of the Pentagon is to coordinate the use of military force when called upon to carry out the political goals assigned to it by civilian leadership -- i. e. the President.

What you're thinking of is the US Border Patrol -- which is a branch of the Department of Homeland Security, not the Pentagon.

15. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    No, I'm thinking of the Pentagon. Have you read the Constitution? I don't see anything in there about the military being assembled to accomplish the President's political goals. Where are you getting your information?

16. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    No it's not.

It works if you work it.

There is a correlation. Both numbers document captured illegal aliens. And by breaking out the illegal aliens who are also on the terrorist watch list; we get a ratio.

This is rock solid math.

With this ratio; an estimate can be derived. This is one basic way that estimates work. Pretty basic stuff.

It gives us an estimate.

17. TLK Valentine

+25,796
    Agnostic
    Single
    Basic military theory and philosophy, really, going back to Carl von Clausewitz: "War is merely the continuation of politics with other means." Still studied at military academies in many countries... including this one.

There's a reason, after all, that the President, while "Commander-in-Chief" of the armed forces, is still considered a civilian.

Also a fair-to-middlin' understanding of US history and legal precedent helps here. Now, I did err by omission when I said that the military is a tool to enforce politics, because I should have specified a tool to enforce foreign policy only, as the Posse Comitamus act of 1878 (signed by President Rutherford B. Hayes) severely limits the use of the military to enforce domestic policy.

...and as I mentioned, immigration enforcement is a domestic policy issue, which is why the Customs and Border Patrol reports to the Department of Homeland Security -- a civilian branch of the President's Cabinet, and not to the Pentagon.

It's all common sense, really. Let's say, for example, that a foreign government -- oh, I don't know, Madagascar -- is doing something we'd prefer they weren't, and we want to convince them to stop.

Our President's options can be easily broken down in three categories:

1. Diplomatic: go to the UN; condemn Madagascar.
    2. Economic: go to Congress; impose sanctions against Madagascar.
    3. Military: go to the Pentagon; authorize "Operation Bomb Madagascar Back to the Stone Age."

Obviously this is a gross oversimplification, but you get the idea. The point is that if, instead of Madagascar, it was, let's say, South Dakota doing something naughty, option 3 is absolutely off the table... and if you think about it, you'll see why this must be so.

You do not want a president who can use the military to enforce his will within these borders.

18. HARK!

+3,720
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    He was not even an American. I'd rather just go back to the Constitution; thanks.

It might not be perfect; but it's better than what we have.

19. TLK Valentine

+25,796
    Agnostic
    Single
    Who said we ever left it?

You're making a common authoritarian mistake; while it is true that the Constitution is both the first and the last word when it comes to U.S. law, it is far from the only word.

The role of the U.S. military -- what it can and more importantly cannot be used for is well established. Erasing 200+ years of precedent and sound governing simply because you want x, you want y, or you want z, is hardly a prudent idea.

20. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+5,034
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Good.
    Ringo