US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
To your first question, you tell me. For your next sentence, can you put it in another way? Perhaps it's my language skills but I can't quite understand the point you are trying to make. You talk about the number of undetected crossings (let's call this X amount), to those who are caught (overall? Let's call this Y) and compare that ratio (X to Y) to the ratio of ii's caught (what is this ratio in comparison to the X to Y ratio? Let's call this Z ratio) and ratio of terrorists caught (let's call this W ratio). So what exactly is the comparison here that makes sense? For W ratio to mean anything, we would have to know the total number of terrorists that tried to cross Vs those who were caught. Do you have that number? I'm sorry, I'm an engineer by education and the math logic here bothers me because I can't see how it works.

But in the end, they did get caught, didn't they? So again, the law enforcement seems to be doing a good enough job in catching the terrorists. Doesn't seem like an example to support your point.

Oh my...

A = Illegal crossings captured.
B = Estimated illegal crossings uncaptured.
C = Captured terrorist crossings
D = Estimated terrorist crossings.
X = Factor for undetected terrorists, as they are highly trained to not be detected.

To solve for D, multiply B by C; then take the product and divide by A.

Then multiply D by X to get a realistic estimation.

What kind of engineering do you do?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟158,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When Biden wanted to "protect" the capitol building - he put a fence around it with armed guards.

Excuse me for pointing out that the Capitol Building was fenced off while Trump was President, though I am pretty certain he did not have the gumption to order it.

The Mexican Border Wall was Trump's vanity project that was largely forgotten about and never finished. It was just a slogan, like 'Lock her up!' and just as promptly dropped after Trump's win. Everybody who lives on the border knew it was idiotic from the start and would never have any effect on illegal immigration. Most illegal immigrants are over-stayers after entering legally through established border crossings.

It is common sense to halt spending on such an ineffective project.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟242,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Gee, HARK!, how much do you think we should gut the military funds in order to bolster law enforcement on the Mexico border?

Personally, I want the military funds to be spent on actual military projects, where they were allocated in the first place.

• Agree
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Gee, HARK!, how much do you think we should gut the military funds in order to bolster law enforcement on the Mexico border?

Personally, I want the military funds to be spent on actual military projects, where they were allocated in the first place.

Considering that the US spends approximately half of the world's military budget, and we have military bases in over 150 countries; how much more do you think that we would need to spend on the military to...you know...actually defend our borders?

Back in the old west, when the settlers were being attacked; they'd circle the wagons to defend themselves.

This plan of bombing innocent babies with drones in foreign lands, and building military bases in countries that don't want us there, doesn't seem to be a good strategy. It seems to make people angry. Then they simply walk across our open borders.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think, as part of their retribution for their crimes, that the illegal immigrants should be building it.

Including the children, obviously. What's a bit of forced child labour amongst friends.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you hold children responsible for the crimes of their parents?

So children can't be illegal immigrants? I mean, I agree, just didn't expect to hear it from you.

These children that come unaccompanied to the border, your plan is unclear...get South American countries to force their parents to Mexico on wall building duty?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Haven't we been through this already? Homeland Security says our biggest threat is domestic terrorism.

Living in a part of the country where there are a number of alt right groups living off the grid, I agree. They have gone to peaceful protests with sniper rifles and climbed up in the trees, requiring the police department to surveil them with helicopters and drones.

While I have been to vigils and witnesses for the Dreamers a few times, immigrants are about the most peaceful, unthreatening people I know. Who would be threatened by parades from one church to another carrying a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe? Really?

When President Trump pulled out or minimized our involvement in NATO, Paris Climate Accord, etc. we became more and more isolated and on our own. Our traditional allies became alienated from us, and so we needed our national defense more than ever--not a wall.

If we are concerned about immigration, maybe we can use some of those funds on the TSA and our airports. The last time I visited my sister in Florida, a man got his checked luggage from the carousel at West Palm, went into the rest room, assembled a gun that had been in checked luggage, and we had another mass shooting. Compare his behavior to hungry, exhausted immigrants at the Mexican border.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you serious?

Here is one example of how our government might handle such cases:

37 Pa. Code Subchapter J. Standards Governing The Assignment Of Community Service In Juvenile Delinquency Cases.

You are the one that said they should be put into a forced labour camp on the border. I was just trying to clarify how you thought that would work in the case of the underage unaccompanied illegal immigrants

Also what about the elderly or sick, do they get to swing a shovel too? What about the requirments that wall building needs someone that actually knows what they are doing, you sending them to masonary school first?

Finally, what will you do with all the American citizens you just put out of work?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You are the one that said they should be put into a forced labour camp on the border. I was just trying to clarify how you thought that would work in the case of the underage unaccompanied illegal immigrants

Why on earth would an underage unaccompanied illegal immigrant cross our border?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟242,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Considering that the US spends approximately half of the world's military budget, and we have military bases in over 150 countries; how much more do you think that we would need to spend on the military to...you know...actually defend our borders?

Defend them how much? The borders are a money pit. You can spend as much money as you want, and there'd still be ways to get through. Trillions. You still haven't answered on how much protection you want. If two guys get caught trying to get across where the authorities are actually looking, how many are getting through where they aren't looking, on the other borders? How much money is enough for you? You want to spend trillions? Close down the military for law enforcement funding?

If you can't begin to define what you want, then your position is meaningless.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why on earth would an underage unaccompanied illegal immigrant cross our border?

Explainer: Why more migrant children are arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border

"About two-thirds of unaccompanied children caught at the border since Oct. 1, 2020, have been from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Mexican children make up most of the remainder.

As of Tuesday, about 9,200 unaccompanied children were in the custody of a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) refugee office that manages a government shelter system for the kids - the highest number since 2019.

Most of the kids in custody are teenagers, but hundreds are under 12 years old. The majority of unaccompanied children apprehended since Oct. 1, 2020, crossed through Texas’ Rio Grande Valley, according to CBP."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Explainer: Why more migrant children are arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border

"About two-thirds of unaccompanied children caught at the border since Oct. 1, 2020, have been from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Mexican children make up most of the remainder.

As of Tuesday, about 9,200 unaccompanied children were in the custody of a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) refugee office that manages a government shelter system for the kids - the highest number since 2019.

Most of the kids in custody are teenagers, but hundreds are under 12 years old. The majority of unaccompanied children apprehended since Oct. 1, 2020, crossed through Texas’ Rio Grande Valley, according to CBP."

You didn't answer my question.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I know. And my point is that that's a good thing, because domestic terrorism is a greater threat and Trump's alienating our traditional allies has weakened our defenses.

Domestic terrorism is a completely different issue; and it is not within the scope of the OP.

In short: Non-sequitur

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is pertinent to the discussion--and I did mention the wall was unnecessary--to talk about national security and defense priorities that are more urgent than the wall.
For the sake of brevity, I kept my list of more urgent priorities short, but of course there are others.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer my question.

Well, you haven't answered any of mine, you just keep moving the goal posts. I wish to hear more about these forced labor internment camps, and now that you have learned that unaccompanied minors are a part of that work force, how it would work.

But any way, in specific answer to your last goal post shift about why unaccompanied minors come the US (hint for others, this information also exists in the article I linked, but that presupposes that you read it)

Many unaccompanied children come to the United States to reunite with family members or escape violence and poverty in their home countries, according to immigration experts.

Central America has recently been battered by hurricanes and slumping economies in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has spurred more migration
Biden officials and migrant advocates, however, acknowledge that the current increase is at least partly due to a recent policy change that now allows unaccompanied children into the country.

Upvote 0